« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by Heather Forcier on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:41 pm
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
While Greg and I won't be getting out to photograph any wildlife this weekend, we are having a family get-together and will get to take some photos of kids playing frisbee. :)

Would love to hear about the photographic adventures of others this Labor Day weekend!
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Chris Fagyal on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:04 pm
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor
I'll be going through 7 gigabytes of pictures from Florida :)

I may visit Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge tomorrow morning which is about 30 minutes north/northwest of where I live, just NW of Minneapolis, MN.

Nothing too special planned yet. Lake Mille Lacs in October for migrant Waterfowl is my next big plan probably (there have been days when over 1000 loons have been recorded on the lake amongst other things, and it is not unusual to have wierd things show up on Mille Lacs in October in MN)
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

by mwagner1 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:15 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
Well,

I went to the Texas coast, but I had no film..the camera stayed home.

I DID get to see MANY Roseatte Spoonbills, some white Pelicans, loads of Brown Pelicans, Great Blue Herons, Little Green Herons, Cattle Egret, Snowy Egrets, Crested Caracara, two juvenile Frigate birds, Ibis, Cormorants, and many smallish shorebirds (of which I am still learning to identify)...

My dad and I scoped out the small island rookery (where we saw many Heron and Egrets with nests early this past year). As soon as duck season is over with, we will jazz up the small duck blind that is on the east side of the little island so that when the birds start nesting again, I can get some nice shots.

That boat trip turned bad when we hit an oyster bed and broke the prop off of the boat.:roll: Luckily we were able to save the prop (most do not). We slowly drifted towards the subdivision where our place is until a nice fisherman came by and towed us to our place!!!! Both my dad and I were terribly embarrased by how unprepared were were going out. No water, no hat for me, and no paddle or trolling motor. If it had not been for the tube of sun screen on the boat, I would have gotten a serious sunburn!!!

Next boating trip, my dad will have the trolling motor attached, as well as water, spare parts, paddle, and water!!!!

So, despite no images and a dead finish to our bird scouting, we saw loads of cool birds!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by TSparger on Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:14 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
Just returned from Callaway Gardens here in Georgia. Went down for my 2nd wedding anniversary and since my wife is so understanding was able to photograph hot air balloons at the festival they were having. I also did some shooting in the butterfly sancuary they have there. That was really cool! I didn't know that many different species of butterflies existed.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by Campbell on Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:15 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
I did'nt do nothing :cry: I am 'on-call' this weekend for work. :roll: But I do get to spend time here reading about all the fun everyone else is having. WOOOHOOO for me.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by John Pennoyer on Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:55 pm
John Pennoyer
Forum Contributor
No photography this week-end, I have been laying about 200 feet of drain tile, so far I have spent 3 full days, should wrap it up tomorrow (labor day) only thing left is resodding!! Need to get it done, I want to spend another 3 days at Vince Shute Wildlife sancturay for bears in fall foilage.!
Why is it necessary for these home projects get in the way of your photography??
John P
http://www.impressionsofnature.net

by OriolesFan on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:07 pm
OriolesFan
Forum Contributor
Add my name to the "home projects" list for this weekend. I had planned on doing yardwork today but an all-day rain forced me to join Kerry in cleaning the house, sort through all the piles of papers lying about, and fill the recycling bin. The only thing I haven't done yet is type up the notes I took at Artie's workshop and John Shaw's workshop (but I did find the notes!). If the weather is better tomorrow (not likely according to the Weather Channel), it'll be yardwork. Otherwise, watching baseball on TV all afternoon. 8)

Meg

by mwagner1 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:45 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
OriolesFan wrote: The only thing I haven't done yet is type up the notes I took at Artie's workshop and John Shaw's workshop (but I did find the notes!). Meg
Wow...you were able to take notes at a John Shaw workshop??? When he was here in Austin a while back, he talked so fast and so much stuff was covered, I finally gave up!!!

I did buy his digital darkroom booklet though....hmm..I need to see if I can still find it!!! :lol:

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by salden on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:05 pm
salden
Forum Contributor
Well, I am getting ready for my trip out to Tucson on Tuesday, but did manage to get one day in for photography. I went out to a local lake, rented a boat and proceeded to take a bunch of very blurry photos :oops: . I need to get my technique down for this type of wavy movement.
Sue Alden
Delta, PA
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0097[/url]

by Laura Stiefel on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:07 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
After recently driving back to Ohio from California, my family is throwing me a welcome back/Labor Day party. I intend to photograph all of the people I missed while thousands of miles away! :) I am also planning on scouring the roads near my home for interesting farm scenes.

Happy Holiday weekend Folks!
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Kelly on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:55 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Well, I've had my camera with me in a kayak in the Susquehanna River a lot over the past several days, but haven't once pressed the shutter. I've seen lots of egrets, herons, osprey, and even a kingfisher, as well as some really neat rock formations, reflections and landscapes. The photo opps always seem to coincide with high winds, fast currents or downpours so the camera has stayed in the dry bag while I've been having a blast anyway!

There have also been some battles with Photoshop, that I seem to be losing. And the household chores never end...
Kelly O'Neill

by robert hasty on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:11 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Kelly, sounds to me like you may be missing out on some great photo op's :lol: That river ive crossed many times driving, and only could wish for one day to stop and see what i could capture. Some day soon im sure :wink:

I spent my sunday morning getting up very early around 4:30 a.m, drove 45 minutes to Valley forge national park to see what kind of deer images i could round up. I got a few, some i like, some i dont LOL!! One of them is currently posted in the fauna gallery for those who wish to view. Will post a couple more this week im sure. Nothing special :P

As for monday, i am taking it easy, very easy :) Gonna just sit back, enjoy a little naturescapes.net, watch a little t.v, and ya know whatever, and forget about everything else!! Chillling out as they say :wink:

Have a relaxing holiday everyone, we all deserve it im sure!!

Robert........................ 8)
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by JBall on Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:18 am
JBall
Forum Contributor
Well we don't have Labour Day in the UK - although maybe a "New Labour" day might be appropriate ( whoops, UK political joke slipping in there, sorry ! ) - but I managed to fire off 4 rolls of old fashioned film at the 25th anniversary celebrations for "Raptor Rescue", a charity for injured birds of prey. So I'm expecting lots of artfully ( yeah right ) blurred shots of raptors in-flight when I get the film back later.
Jon

by Chuck F on Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:52 am
Chuck F
Forum Contributor
Picked up the equipment one time all week end, moved it so my wife could cleanup. We've had a house full of company since Friday morning kids, grandkids, mother, mother in law , two dogs, two cats and a gerbil named Elvis. The place has been a zoo but we love it. Got a great tan standing over the grill all week end.

Everybody is leaving this morning some time so I will probably go across the road to a large pond late this afternoon and chase a bird or two.

You know what they say about fish and company? They both start to smell after about 3 days. Just kidding won't have it any other way.
Chuck Fain
S.W. Ga.
NSN 0126

by Steve Mason on Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:38 am
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
Work work work for me.
The good news is I'm getting caught up, so I might be able to get a day off during the week soon. That and I have to go to the Banff office this week. :)
Steve Mason

by Rocky Sharwell on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:18 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I went to Ft. Desoto on Saturday and had a blast--but it was rather hot.
Rocky Sharwell

by Geo on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:35 am
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

by abiggs on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:37 am
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
Great thread, Heather.

I went to a college football game in the rain last night (U of Texas), and spent the rest of the weekend building a new web site, e-commerce capabilities, communicating with future travelers to Africa, refining my image selections for a 2004 calendar, and reinstalling Windows XP.

Sound like fun?

Not at all. Well, except for the football game. All necessary, but not that rewarding. I want to get out and shoot!!!!
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by Neil Donaldson on Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:23 pm
Neil Donaldson
Forum Contributor
Heather,

I am editing about 20 rolls of slides from my recent trip down the west coast. After that hope to get a session in at Bolsa Chica.

by Paul on Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:10 pm
Paul
Forum Contributor
I will spend much of the weekend orgainzing photos from this summer. I am also putting together a photo album of my recent trip to Italy for use upon returning to work this week.

Alas, I will burn no film.

23 posts |