All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by Brandon Pittam on Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:07 pm
Brandon Pittam
Lifetime Member
Member #:00257
Hi Everyone - Nice to have joined this group. I would like to saw it was nice to meet Heather in LBI this past weekend for the quick moment that it was begin just a bit cold out. Just getting back into photography and switching over to digital a few years ago has been very exciting. I am now able to go on small vacations and expereience photography again.

I am planning on going to Washington DC this coming March, but I have one concern about tripods. I am under the impression that a permit is needed, atleast that is what I am reading. Has anyone had to obtain such a permit and if so how and what do I need to do. If anything I will just not take my tripod with me to DC.

Thanks in advance and I hope to meet more of you in the future.

Brandon.
-B.P.

NSN0257

5DII - 7DII
300mm f/2.8 I, 70-200mm f/2.8, 24-70mm

"Never give up until you reached your goals" - Russell Jones

by Heather Forcier on Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:56 pm
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
Hi, Brandon! I can't help you out with your Washington DC question, but I wanted to say it was nice to meet you at Barnegat and welcome to NatureScapes.Net!

For more outings in the mid-Atlantic you may want to check out the mid-Atlantic regional chapter forum. Some people are already planning another outing to Barnegat, hopefully when it's warmer.
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Brandon Pittam on Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:14 pm
Brandon Pittam
Lifetime Member
Just recently purchased my new Digitial Rebel, so I don't have any of the higher end "L" series lenses. I am content right now with my 28-135 IS and 75-300 IS lenses. I am looking to get a teleconverter that will help out better with that, but I may just use the lenses as such. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I hope to get my site back up with some of my photographs that I have taken in the past months.

Brandon.
-B.P.

NSN0257

5DII - 7DII

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Brandon, a teleconverter will not give you good image quality with the 75-300 lens. Its about the worst optical combination there is for teleconverters and zoom telephoto lenses. I would save the money toward a later purchase of either a longer lens or a better lens that will be able to take the teleconverter.

I did an internet search for tripod restrictions in the DC Mall area and was not able to find anything on the subject. However a call to 202-485-9880 might give you some info. Its the number for the Washington Monument administrative offices.

by Brandon Pittam on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:19 pm
Brandon Pittam
Lifetime Member
Thanks EJ for the info. I am looking at the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, but that is calling for a little eBay selling to get some money. I'm off to bed, thank again for the info.

Brandon M. Pittam
Forensic Scientist I
NJSP
-B.P.

NSN0257

5DII - 7DII

by BK on Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:34 am
BK
Forum Contributor
Hi, Brandon. For the most part, you can use your tripod throughout Washington without any problems. There are some specific areas that require permits. The last I checked, which was about a year ago, the tripod rules were as follows.

Capitol: A tripod permit is required for the Capitol grounds (meaning right around the Capitol building), and you can only shoot from a particular area (the Senate side of the lawn, and you can't set up on paved areas). You need to ask any of the Capitol police. The permits are free for nonprofessionals and are only one day long unless you ask for a longer permit (so ask). The process takes about 15 minutes and the policeman will walk you to a place in the basement of the Capitol to fill out the form. In the old days, you could even get a permit to shoot inside the Capitol after 3PM, but I'm not sure if they still allow that. I kind of doubt it.

Washington Monument: A tripod permit is required to use the tripod inside the ring of flags. The US Park Police handle these permits, and you have to fax them the days you'll be shooting, where, and why. It's a stupid form, but it's only one page long. The permit is free for nonprofessionals. Go to the US Park Police web page and look for the number of the headquarters. Call them and they'll transfer you to someone who can fax you the form. You need at least 72 hours notice to get your permit.

Lincoln Memorial: Permit required to shoot at or above the third level of steps at the Lincoln Memorial (including inside the Memorial). This is the same form as for the Washington Monument, from the Park Police.

Jefferson Memorial: No permit required.

Reflecting Pool and Cherry Blossoms: No permit required.

Other Memorials and the Capitol Mall: No permit required.

Inside Smithsonian Museums: No tripods allowed. Flash restricted.

National Arboretum: Permit required for professionals, and there is a fee. If you are a nonprofessional, expect to get stopped and asked for a permit a lot, but explain that you are not a professional and they'll let you continue shooting (until the next guy comes along and asks you... ugh!).

White House: In the old days, no permit was required to shoot the WH from the surrounding areas (no tripods allowed inside). I am sure a permit is required now, and you probably get it from the Uniformed Division of the Secret Service, but I've never done it. I would assume it is free.

Washington METRO (subway): No tripods allowed. No permit required for non-tripod photography.

Elsewhere in the City: I am told a permit is required, but only for commercial photography. Like in most cities, you won't get stopped or questioned unless you're holding up traffic or are otherwise in the way.

There are probably new tripod rules that I don't know about, but the above should help you get a good start. The various police are generally friendly towards photographers, since we have an awful lot of them, so if you don't have a permit and need one, they'll usually help you get one. Good luck and enjoy your visit!
Brian Kennedy
[url=http://www.briankennedy.net]briankennedy.net[/url]

by swampduck on Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:50 am
swampduck
Forum Contributor
Let me add two places to your list Brian,

Vietnam Veterans Memorial---permit required
Korean War Veterans Memorial---permit required

First hand experience, I was chased off by Park Police because of no permit, and this was pre 9/11

by Brandon Pittam on Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:14 am
Brandon Pittam
Lifetime Member
Thank you to all that have helped out with this. Time to get back to cases here at the lab.

Brandon
-B.P.

NSN0257

5DII - 7DII

by MikeBinOK on Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:53 pm
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
In addition to the other sites that have been mentioned, I strongly endorse the National Cathedral. Impressive building, and beautiful stained glass. Easiest to get to with a rental car, but you can be dropped off there by the "trolley tour" (I forget the name), or make a long but safe walk from the nearest Metro stop.

There is a good view of Washington from the tower in the Old Post Office Building a few blocks north of the Mall, though it is not terribly photographer-friendly. The food court in the basement of that building is decent quality and fairly inexpensive.

If you aren't familiar with subway trains, I'd recommend learning to use the metro for most of your getting around in central DC. Inexpensive, and really beats trying to find a parking place.
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

by Brandon Pittam on Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:52 pm
Brandon Pittam
Lifetime Member
I am at my girlfriends' house, but I just wanted to let you all know that I called the number on the Washington Monument website and then got another number and had them fax me a permit form which I have to read and fill out. But I will probably have to call and find out what exactly I need to fill out for the tripod permit, because it is not an exact form for tripods, but a form for demonstrations, activities, etc.. Thanks again for all the suggestions for DC.
-B.P.

NSN0257

5DII - 7DII

by vbpholaw on Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:14 am
vbpholaw
Forum Contributor
I think your permit question has been answered pretty well (great job BK). I will say that if you are shooting very early in the morning (such as at sunrise) you may be able to get away with a tripod at the Vietnam or Korean War Memorials. You may be there before the Park Police show up, or you might get lucky and have someone who will give you a little leeway since there are few other people there. On the other hand, near the Capitol, the Park Police are usually very strict, even when you are shooting on grass. At times, it's a stupid rule and process, but it's there nonetheless.

However, my primary point in replying is to note that if you have some flexibility on when in March you are visiting, you might want to aim for the end of the month. If the weather cooperates, you might time it to see the Cherry Blossoms. They could start blooming at the very end of the month if the winter is mild enough. Right now, that seems in doubt.

by BK on Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:46 am
BK
Forum Contributor
bpittam wrote:But I will probably have to call and find out what exactly I need to fill out for the tripod permit, because it is not an exact form for tripods, but a form for demonstrations, activities, etc.
Hi Brandon. I think they may have given you the wrong form. Try the Park Police (National Park Service). I just pulled an old permit to see what it says. First of all, the phone number for the NPS is 202-619-7225. The permit should say "Application for Photography/Filming Permit (Short Form)," and you just fill out one page and fax back to them (the fax number is on the application). The application asks for things like "description of props," "max number of cast and crew," etc. (!) that don't apply to you. Just put "n/a" in those blanks.

Keep in mind that form is only for NPS-regulated areas (Wash Monument, Lincoln Mem, Ntl Mall), and not for the Capitol or other restricted areas around DC. There are lots of different types of police in the city, and each has its own area of responsibility.

I realize it sounds like a huge hassle, but using a tripod in DC isn't so bad, even post-9/11. And I agree with Mark that the NPS doesn't seem to have a problem using a tripod at sunrise at the Vietnam Memorial, but once it gets later in the day, they won't let you do it, as Swampduck said. Finally, I totally agree with the other suggestions for locations.

Have fun while you're here! Lots of stuff to shoot. One additional suggestion for a location, which should be right up Mark's alley (in Arlington) -- bring a medium long lens to the Iwo Jima Memorial and shoot the sun rising over the city from the hill by the Netherlands Carillion. The Lincoln Mem, Wash Mon, and Capitol all line up from that location, and ~300mm (on a full-frame 35mm camera) fills the frame nicely with them. And you can use a tripod there with no trouble whatsoever. :)
Brian Kennedy
[url=http://www.briankennedy.net]briankennedy.net[/url]

by vbpholaw on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:41 pm
vbpholaw
Forum Contributor
BK is right about the Netherland's Carillion. Also, if there is a full moon (or near full moon) during your visit (I don't know the moon's schedule off-hand), it also is a good place for that. The best day is the day before the true full moon. Of course, it also depends on the moon's location, which I think in March is fairly close to alignment with the monuments, but I'm not entirely sure. Iwo Jima at sunrise or moon rise also can be good if you want some monument shots. Moon rise obviously requires some greater creative thinking than sunrise.

by Anthony Medici on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:55 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
vbpholaw wrote:Moon rise obviously requires some greater creative thinking than sunrise.
That's why when I got a GPS, I got one with a feature that can give me moonrise and moonset times, along with sunrise and sunset times, for a location.
Tony

by tdunne on Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:01 pm
tdunne
Forum Contributor
Call me ignorant, but I can't figure out why using a tripod would require any authorization. What's the deal with this? I'm a native of D.C., now living about 1hr north. I was quite surprised to read this thread, especially when reading all of the areas with restrictions.

tom.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
tdunne wrote:Call me ignorant, but I can't figure out why using a tripod would require any authorization. What's the deal with this? I'm a native of D.C., now living about 1hr north. I was quite surprised to read this thread, especially when reading all of the areas with restrictions.
A beurocrats way of making us all safer :twisted:

by Brandon Pittam on Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:11 am
Brandon Pittam
Lifetime Member
Once again I am at my girlfriends house with out the form, but the form is (1) page long and I called up that number again (the one listed above) and asked specifically for the Filming and Photography Application and had it faxed. The only down side to the form is you have to put an itinerary (spelling) on the for with your location and time of each of the following places that you want to go. Also I noticed a spot for the SS# which I am not going to put unless otherwise needed. Thanks again for all the help for this issue. I am off to Longwood Gardens (Opening day of Spring Bloom).

Brandon
-B.P.

NSN0257

5DII - 7DII

17 posts |