Long-billed Curlew in grassy environment w/ repost

Posted by Royce Howland on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
Original:
Repost:
Gear: Canon EOS 10D + EF 400mm f/5.6L, hand-held out vehicle window.

Shooting info: 1/400s, f/8.0, ISO 800, one-shot AF, Av priority, center-weighted metering.

Processing: Raw conversion, sharpness & detail reduction, color noise suppression, exposure correction incl. levels & curve, saturation & vibrance boost, pano crop (47% of full frame), rotation in RSP. Still noisy, so selective (non-edge) aggressive noise reduction + selective edge USM & high pass sharpening in PSE 3.

Long-billed Curlew is a species that has shown up in a lot of great photos here on NSN, with the usual environment being the beach. Sadly my portfolio lacks similar images. :) Today I thought I'd post a pano environmental shot showing a curlew in a grassy location more like where I commonly see the species.

This shot was taken in late April at the start of my road trip, at Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge near Brigham City, Utah. This curlew is calling to a second one that I presume is its mate, just off camera. Before I could unlimber my big Sigma for a closer shot out the window, the birds headed off leaving me with a few somewhat distant "security shots" with the 400mm.

I've been to Bear River twice, and found it interesting both times. The refuge has a lot of history, and many birds abound. My photo ops there have been limited so far due to bad weather on both visits. I'd like to get back there with some good weather for a change.

According to the web site for the refuge, with assistance by NANPA they have recently established a couple of photo blinds which can be used by special permit. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used them.

Thanks for looking, and any comments / critiques / smilies are appreciated!
Royce Howland

Last edited by Royce Howland on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460

by mcameron on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:25 pm
mcameron
Forum Contributor
Nice pano...fits the bill of this species! It grows on me the more I look at it.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cameron
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=11360]Visit my NatureScapes Portfolio[/url]

by Kim Steininger on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:37 pm
Kim Steininger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00322
A very cool environmental shot Royce! I really like the texture and feel of the grass and the colors are very complimentary to the bird. A very unique image which I think would probably look great printed large on canvas! My only suggestion would be to add maybe just a tad more canvas to the bottom if you have it. Very nice Royce!
Kim Steininger

by Kim Steininger on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:38 pm
Kim Steininger
Lifetime Member
Forgot to mention that I love your comp! 8)
Kim Steininger

by Royce Howland on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:54 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the comments so far. Kim, I do have more space both above & below. I cropped as it is for display here to get the eye on a "rule of thirds" point. But I'm experimenting with big prints containing more of the environment. I like the idea of printing on canvas -- I think it would suit the image texture quite well.

Mike, it grew on me too. I take a lesson from this, because I was originally going to delete this entire series. The unmodified exposures were drab (darkly over-cast day with auto-WB), very noisy, and the curlew was small in the frame. But somehow I kept putting off the deletion, and then just recently "rediscovered" the sequence while looking for tougher images to throw at RawShooter Premium. :) In a pano presentation not attempting to narrow the focus to the bird, I now find it an enjoyable image...
Royce Howland

by pleverington on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:00 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Royce--I love this one. I can feel that he's trying to search for that other something by his posture, but he gets lost in the vastness. I glad you didn't delete. This is good use of negative space here. A liitle more on the bottom I agree with. If you do print big I guarantee it will look different. Blowing pictures up real big sometimes change the composition in that this bird isn't real big so he should always be kept smaller in actual size on the picture. You might find yourself wanting to add lots more field around this guy is what I'm getting at . I'm talkin like these 3 X4 foot kinda of pictures. I dont know how much you were intending
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Gerald J Romanchuk on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:05 pm
Gerald J Romanchuk
Forum Contributor
Really nice habitat shot Royce. Brings me back to a summer morning on the grasslands near Brooks.

I agree with Kim in regards to the crop, the bird could go higher, it's in the perfect spot from right to left.
Gerald Romanchuk
Edmonton, Alberta

by LHays on Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:29 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Royce
I've been really getting into habitat shots lately. This is so different than the Curlew shots that I've seen or taken. I, too, like Kim's cropping suggestion. Very nice!!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Dan Wolin on Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:43 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I really like this - it is a great environmental shot and the composition is excellent.
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Larry Kaufman on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:35 am
Larry Kaufman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00297
This is great Royce. I am slowly gaining a real appreciation for good habitat shots, and this is a perfect example of why! The open space and overall uniformity in detail of the BG makes it work for me.

Congrats!
- Larry

by Royce Howland on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:12 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the further comments folks! I've got a lot of running around to do today but if I can pick off a bit of time, I'll put up a repost with more space.
Royce Howland

by Terence P. Brashear on Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:35 pm
Terence P. Brashear
Forum Contributor
Member #:00600
Royce the grass habitat is a perfect compliment to this image. I like it a lot.

Regards,

Terry
Terence P. Brashear
San Diego, CA
http://www.naturepixels.com
NSN #600

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:01 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Royce,

The habitat makes this a very nice shot. I like Kim's idea of adding a little more room at the bottom. Well done.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Christopher Dodds on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:13 pm
Christopher Dodds
Lifetime Member
Member #:00362
Royce, this is nice. A tad more room on the bottom would make it perfect. Love habitat shots.
[url=http://naturephotographyblog.squarespace.com/workshops/]WORKSHOPS[/url] [url=http://www.naturephotographyblog.com/]BLOG[/url] [url=http://www.facebook.com/chrisdoddsphoto]FACEBOOK[/url]

by Royce Howland on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:44 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Thanks all! By popular demand, I have added a repost with a bit more room on the bottom of the frame. As the curlew is now fractionally smaller, I backed off the sharpening slightly to avoid artifacts.

Full res is nicely detailed on an A3 type print size. In that case I have all of the extra canvas present below, to move the curlew above the center line. I'm not showing that version here simply to stay within posting limits while keeping the curlew larger than the head of a pin. :)

Cheers!
Royce Howland

by Gerald J Romanchuk on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:54 am
Gerald J Romanchuk
Forum Contributor
Royce, the repost is cropped perfectly.
Gerald Romanchuk
Edmonton, Alberta

by Kim Steininger on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:12 pm
Kim Steininger
Lifetime Member
Much better with more room at the bottom Royce! 8)
Kim Steininger

17 posts |