Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by rezaltu on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:31 pm
rezaltu
Forum Contributor
Hi, After 5 years of using my ARC-Swiss mono ball head, I am looking for a new ball head. I would be thankful if you please let me know which ball head do you recommend. I was looking for Kirk ball head since it can support 50 lbs.

Thank you.
Reza Tavana
Nature Photography

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:39 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Markins M20 - weighs just 568 grams and can hold up to 45 Kg ;)

by DavidRamey on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 pm
DavidRamey
Forum Contributor
Markins M20 - weighs just 1.25 lbs and can hold upto 100 lbs. I use this ball head and can find nothing about it that I dislike.
David C. Ramey

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would personally not get the Kirk, there are much better heads out there. In my opinion the Really Right Stuff BH-55 can not be beat. I maintain that even now, after 5 years on the market it is the best ballhead ever made.

by Brian Stirling on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:43 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
BH-55 here as well. The panning base makes pano shots easy. Of course, it aint cheap!

Brian

by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:38 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
rezaltu wrote:Hi, After 5 years of using my ARC-Swiss mono ball head, I am looking for a new ball head. I would be thankful if you please let me know which ball head do you recommend. I was looking for Kirk ball head since it can support 50 lbs.

Thank you.
I recently went through a similar search. It depends on what you are looking for (if the last sentence is an indication, the weight rating). I settled on the Markins M20, a fine ballhead with smooth panning action. But there is something I don't like about the Markins.

The main knob is on the left side which is good. I use my left hand to adjust the main knob (loosen, tighten to adjust camera position) while holding onto the camera with the right hand.

Problem is, with the main knob on the left side, the groove where you can tilt the camera down is located on the other side and not the side facing you. In order to tilt the camera up at a steep angle, the groove would need to be facing you. The only way to have the groove facing you is to rotate the ballhead around so the knob is now on the right side. I can't hold onto the camera with the right hand AND adjust the camera with the right hand at the same time. With the main knob on the left side, my left hand can make the adjustments while my right hand is ready on camera grip / shutter button.

Mind you, the only time this may become an issue, using the ballhead by itself, is when you need to tilt the camera up at a steep angle...like shooting up at a bird, high up a tree. If you use a Wimberley Sidekick then it's not an issue. The Markins M20 is a very fine ballhead, solid, smooth and I thoroughly enjoy using it with the Sidekick and Gitzo Leveling Base combo.

Markins used to offer two models, one that had the knob on the left side and one with the knob on the right side. Now they offer ballheads with the knob on the left side only.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.

by Wendy Bunton on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Wendy Bunton
Lifetime Member
Member #:00891
Another vote for BH-55. I have two (well, actually my wife now has one of mine, so I really need to get another!) in preference to the Kirk and A-S I used to use.

by paul weston on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm
paul weston
Forum Contributor
It allways seems to come down to the markins or RRS, i use a RRS BH-55,light and has a short stem on the ball,rock solid head. I doubt you would be dissapointed shooting off of either of them..................... buy the BH-55 :D

by abiggs on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:29 pm
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
I have owned many ball heads, and only the RRS BH-55 I have liked.
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by rezaltu on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:11 am
rezaltu
Forum Contributor
Thank you all for many great feedbacks.
Reza Tavana
Nature Photography

by milmoejoe on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:10 am
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
RRS produces some terrific products, and the BH-55 is extremely well liked.

But, brute strength, smoothness and efficiency- even the Markins Q3 (tiny) outperforms the BH55, IMO.

Conversely, the markins are not as refined, don't look anywhere as cool, and won't get you any compliments...but they work :D
[url]http://www.joemilmoe.com[/url]

by Bart Heirweg on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 am
Bart Heirweg
Forum Contributor
Count me in for the RRS BH55. T'is is truly a TOP product. Well build in every regard.
I think this is the best photography related thing I bought this year. I am very happy with it.
Portfolio, workshops and phototrips: [url]http://www.bartheirweg.com[/url] - Image library: [url]http://library.bartheirweg.com[/url]

by Jim Roetzel on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 am
Jim Roetzel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00143
Hello Reza

I own the RRS head and love it for all the reasons listed above
however if you are going from a Arca-Swiss to a new head- you should at least visit the Markins site
just went there and the Markins M20 looks like a clone of the Arca Swiss head you are accustomed to

I don't think either will disappoint you and as someone who has done this for some time -nature photographers today have some wonderful choices when it comes to gear

Jim
http://www.jimroetzel.com

by Eric Chan on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:10 pm
Eric Chan
Forum Contributor
Member #:01107
I have two ball heads that I use and recommend: the Markins M10 (which sits on my Gitzo 1-series pod) and the RRS BH-55 (which sits on my Gitzo 3-series pod).
Eric Chan
[url=http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/photos/]MadManChan Photography[/url]

by Ed Cordes on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I also use both the Markins M-10 and RRS BH-55. The Markins is on a light weight tripod for non Tele stuff and the BH-55 is what I use for my 500 and side kick. They are both wonderfully manufactured with attention to detail. They both work very well. RE the issue OnePhoto mentioned about the Markins and the tilt down slot - The Markins come in right and left hand models to correct for this.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by joseph motto on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:20 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Perhaps it is permissible to ask a pertinent question related to this topic. The BH-55 comes with several platform/clamp options; any suggestions re these?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Porsche917 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:41 am
Porsche917
Lifetime Member
Member #:01310
Dear Reza:

Like many others, I heartily recommend the RRS BH-55. So far as the clamp to use, I suggest that you call the folks at RRS and discuss your equipment and intended uses with them. The sales and technical personnel at RRS are very friendly and helpful.

Best regards,

Roman

by OntPhoto on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:I also use both the Markins M-10 and RRS BH-55. The Markins is on a light weight tripod for non Tele stuff and the BH-55 is what I use for my 500 and side kick. They are both wonderfully manufactured with attention to detail. They both work very well. RE the issue OnePhoto mentioned about the Markins and the tilt down slot - The Markins come in right and left hand models to correct for this.
Ed, they use to make both the left hand and right hand model. I called the company to inquire after doing some googling when I first purchased the Markins quite some time ago and was informed they no longer make the right hand model. Only one choice now. Too bad.

PS. At least from my use of both, I found the release clamp on the Markins M20 took a few more turns (must have something to do with the catch pin on the Markins plate) to fully release the camera (using Wimberly plates) then does the release clamp on the Wimberly Sidekick. The release clamp on the Wimberly Sidekick was quick to release the camera, not as quick as a QR lever type mechanism of course but quick enough so it's easy to take the camera off for a handheld shot.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

by California4Life on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:20 am
California4Life
Forum Contributor
I have the Markins M10 and I bought it without the release clamp so that I could put the RRS lever clamp on it... I love it. It's a great combination, and pretty light weight too... You can't go wrong with Markins or RRS... But my suggestion is to get the RRS lever release clamp, no matter what actual ballhead you buy... I'll never go back to the screw-clamps now...
-Mac

[url]http://macdanzigphotography.wordpress.com[/url]
[url]http://www.macdanzigphotography.com[/url]
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/california4life[/url]

by gearhead5 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:05 am
gearhead5
Forum Contributor
I guess you are using an A-S B1, which is a fine head. What don't you like about it? I think you should look at the A-S Z1, which I think is just as good as, or better than, the RRS BH-55. I don't care for Markins heads.

25 posts |