More Back Yard Wood Ducks

Posted by Woody Mayhew on Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
I shot this wood duck early this morning out of my bedroom window just as the sun was coming up. He was one of 30+ wood ducks scurrying around my back yard hunting for acorns (which they gulp down whole). As many as 45 or 50 are coming up into my yard morning and evening multiple times until they are satisfied with their haul. They are difficult subjects. They are very wary and almost never still as they forage. No flash as they will not tolerate it. They are backlit at these times to compound the difficulty. These are fun times in the old back yard, though.
Grainy look is due to ISO 800. Cropped left and right. Nikon D2h, 500mm AF-S, LF JPG, Aperture Mode, 1/50th @f8.

Posted by:
Woody Mayhew
Forum Contributor

by Safariguy on Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:06 pm
Safariguy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00191
At least you don't have a lack of subjects to work on... :-)

The grain does not bother me as much as the bright spots in the BG, I would for sure clone the one in front of the breast and would probably try to figure out something with the ones behind the neck...

Cheers,
Jeff
AKA Safariguy
[url=http://www.jeffwendorff.com]My Website[/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10850/]My NSN Portfolio[/url]

by Juan E. Bahamon on Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:17 pm
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Same suggestions to get rid of those highlights on the background.
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by Alan Murphy on Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:31 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Woody, I would love to have this photo op in my back yard. Flash would really help the face in this shot as it lacks the color that we know are there. I'm not so crazy about the man made looking BG, but you gotta take what you can get.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by wildstock on Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:59 pm
wildstock
Forum Contributor
I agree with Alan, a little light on the face would have helped to bring the colors out. Man, you're so lucky to have these jewels on your backyard, all I can get on mine is a mockingbird and my neighboors' cats.

by Michael Dossett on Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:04 am
Michael Dossett
Forum Contributor
I like this pose a lot. As Alan mentioned, a little fill flash would lighten up the face, having said that, with the lighting the way it is, the face doesn't bother me and you handled the exposure really well.

My only real nit is the OOF wood duck in the background and the OOF straight edge in the background. Neither should be hard to get rid of if you don't mind a little cloning.

by fredcor on Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:26 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Very good shot. Erect head is excellent.
Frederick Lat Correa

by chew on Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:15 pm
chew
Forum Contributor
I like the angle of light and the pose, how would this look in the evening, would there be not enough light? Good going.
Chew NSN 0031

8 posts |