Series: A Day at Bosque: [7] Sandhills in a reflecting pool

Posted by Anthony Medici on Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
(Sandhill Cranes, Snow Geese) Bosque de Apache, New Mexico

This is intended to be about a month long series of images from my two weeks at Bosque. My intent is to make the images flow as though they all occurred during a single day. Of course, they occurred during the two weeks I was there. :)

This is the seventh in the series. You'll find 3 & 4 in the EHK Gallery and 6 in Landscape. At this point, I've developed a rather serious problem. This is my 4th post in Birds and I haven't gotten to sunrise. I've got over a dozen picked out in the first hour after sunrise and I know I can get at least that many from the hour before sunset of snow geese. Then if I only post one image of each unique bird between those times and 4 images after sunset, I'd be posting this series until late May. :oops: I guess this is what happens when you take over 14,150 images. :?

I'm obviously going to need to make this series a bit shorter so many of the images I really wanted to post are going to end up on one of my two websites instead. In this series, I'll try and concentrate on those that I think are really nice "standard" images, or something that I tried that came out well while pushing the limits of my skill. I also have a half dozen or so images of wildlife that I'll be posting periodically over in Wildlife.

This image falls into the first category a little more than the second. (I think?) Very nice light reflecting off the water while trying to get both of the birds in sharp focus. This image was taken about 5 minutes before sunrise, 10 minutes before the sun would first peak over the mountains in the east. The light in the water is too nice to pass up so I post it.

I'll try and post one of the second category next. Please tell me if you think this approach is working and, of course, whether you think it is worth going forward the way I plan. Thanx!

BTW, if you've gotten this far through this rather long post, I'd like to formally thank Chas and Greg for the wonderful workshops I attended while I was there. Both pushed me in different ways and I had great fun shooting with them and all the other participants.

Tripod/Wimberly mounted Nikon D2H, 600mm AFS, ISO 400, Aperture Priority, EV-0.3, 1/40 @ F8, SB-80DX, BB, EV -1.7. Cropped less than 5% all around.
Tony

Posted by:
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012

by Alan Murphy on Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:37 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Very nice Tony. The water color is just beautiful.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Peterh on Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:30 am
Peterh
Forum Contributor
At least your shutter time has decreased an order of magnitude... :D

I love the blue-red tints here.

What has happened to you. 14 days only 14K shots? Did your shutter malfunction? :D

Cheers

Peter
[b]http://www.peterdenhartog.com[/b]

by LHays on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:21 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Nice one, Tony. I love the colors here.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by AlexC on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:37 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Killer colors and the birds are very nice!!, Something different than a flight shot, Congrats!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by robert hasty on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:09 am
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Very nice image Tony, sounds like you have a very big article to write :D

robert............
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:28 am
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Artistic...lovely...and a bit weird...like the photographer. Happy holidays, Tony.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
14,500 images of a handfull of subjects in two weeks - wow! That's about how many I took in all of 2003 and I do a lot of photography. Lets see, you burned through 10% of the D2H's shutter life in two weeks :shock:

I like the shot very much - probably my favorite from the series so far.

by Greg Downing on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:26 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Tony, this is also my favorite so far. Simple and graphic. It's interesting how the bird closest to us is much more blue looking than the other. The even patterns in the water are a great compliment to the birds.

P.S. thanks for the mention. It was, as always, a pleasure. Though you didn't need a lot of direction I am, however, still trying to teach you how to shoot less. ;)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bill Whala on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:37 am
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Very nice!! I like the colors and the graphic quality of the image. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Mike Wilson on Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:00 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Nice pattern and texture shot. I don't mind the slow pace of your posts as they go through the day at Bosque but I am anxious to see what you got when the rest of us were shooting! :)
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by Dan Barthel on Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:59 pm
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
Over the top.
NSN 061
Dan

by Anthony Medici on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:46 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Mike Wilson wrote:Nice pattern and texture shot. I don't mind the slow pace of your posts as they go through the day at Bosque but I am anxious to see what you got when the rest of us were shooting! :)
Just remember, I'm not actually posting from a single day. I can say when I took the image and from where. It's one of the benefits of digital. 8) I simply can't have the series go past the end of January. I'm going back to Homer in February and I'm planning to have some great images from there to post afterwords. :D
Tony

by Jim Urbach on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:26 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Tony,

Beautiful water. I've never taken 1000 images in a day. How do you ever have the time to process this much?

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Anthony Medici on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:53 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Jim Urbach wrote:Beautiful water. I've never taken 1000 images in a day. How do you ever have the time to process this much?
I don't have the time. When I do work on them, it gives me lots of choices on what to work on. :)
Tony

by Laura Stiefel on Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:22 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
My favorite so far as well. The colors and reflections really make this one for me. :)
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

16 posts |