PS Challenge

Posted by Jim Neiger on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
This shot has several problems, but I really like the wing position and big hunk of Snail in the mouth. The lighting and close, busy bg spoil it for me. I've tried to work on this several times in PS, but haven't been able to come up with anything I really like. I ended up just adjusting the lighting and sharpening it. I have posted 2 versions below. The original image which has been converted, cropped, and resized, but nothing else, and the version I ended up with. I am hoping some of you PS experts will take a shot at it. I thought it would be a fun challenge and a learning experience for many of us, including me. Please download the original version and work your magic. Then post it and tell us how you did it.

Original:
My unsatisfactory attempt:
[b]Jim Neiger - [url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com]Flight School Photography[/b][/url]
[b]Kissimmee, Florida[/b]

[url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/FSP%20Current%20Workshops.htm][b]Flight School Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

Posted by:
Jim Neiger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00113

by AForns on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:59 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Jim I'm at work now but will give it a go when I get home !!!! Neat!!! 8)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Rob Palmer on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:06 pm
Rob Palmer
Forum Contributor
Jim, the background is just so cluttered that I just got rid of it using the extract tool and then I selected the left wing with levels and brought it up a bit. Pretty tough to work on.
Rob Palmer
[url]http://www.falconphotos.com/gallery/7385039_qUuth#!i=774854059&k=Uuoef[/url]

by mrhughj on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:12 pm
mrhughj
Forum Contributor
Beyond my PS skill level, Jim!

Hugh

by AForns on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:12 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Beat me to it Rob :roll: that is what I was thinking in doing :wink:

With that bg there is no way to present the bird !!!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Alan Murphy on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:06 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Rob,s version is very dramatic. I'm not going to attempt it. it's a great shot Jim.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by elroyie on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:00 pm
elroyie
Forum Contributor
Why to change the reallity?
It looks great as it, maybe the BG is little bit to crouded, but this is the place that you took the picture...
Elroyie

All my birds' pictures were taken in nature.

You can see more in my [url=http://www.pbase.com/elroyie/birds][color=Red]birds gallery[/color][/url].

by Christina Evans on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:06 am
Christina Evans
Forum Contributor
I could not resist this challenge, though I should have had enough of fixing up other people's photos in the last two weeks on the job. But this one was for fun. I could not get much shadow detail out, but hand me a raw file and could have done better!
Here are the basics of what I did. Key was making a believable selection to work with, and for something like this I've never found a better way than to use the pen tool (believe me, I've tried) and make an editable path. Then select the path and soften the selection a bit by feathering a few pixels. Worked with the selection on layers. I reduced the contrast slightly and used a lens blur on the background -- this could be less or more to taste. I also decided to soften some of the stronger elements in the background and did that with the cloning tool set on lighten at maybe about 30%. The usual sharpening and stuff of course. It would all be better to have been done on the full size file of course, but you get the idea. So what do you think, Jim?

By the way -- nice flight shot. :wink:
Christina Evans
http://cgstudios.smugmug.com/

by Steve Metildi on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:53 am
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
I like Christina's version with the background OOF. The complete blue background is a tad extreme to me.
Very cool photo Jim. I was happy you lent me your Snail Kites last June.

Steve

by alibenn on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:57 am
alibenn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00341
Another vote for Christina's, excellent job..
Alister Benn
Artist, Educator & Guide
Available Light Images Ltd.
Photography & Processing Workshops in Scotland, Spain, China & Tibet

by AForns on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:14 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Big Time Chris !!! Love it :) :)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

Yogi Berra

by ebkw on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I, too, vote for Christina's version. The bird is still a bit dark though on my monitor. Quite the challenge.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Royce Howland on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:35 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Jim, this is a very pleasing, dramatic shot to me and I don't mind your own retouched version with the background habitat. You captured a great moment and the detail, posture of the kite, etc. are great as they are.

Having said that, I can understand your desire to highlight the kite a lot more than the natural BG in the frame permits. I'd do it much like Christina's approach; indeed I just posted a Northern Cardinal that shows my similar shot at it with a different subject. :)

Great capture!
Royce Howland

by Jim Neiger on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:24 am
Jim Neiger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00113
I tried both Rob and Christina's approach before I settled on my version. I wanted to come up with something like what Christina did, but I couldn't seem to get the edges looking right.

Christina,

I really like your version a lot. I am going to try again using your method. Perhaps I can duplicate what you did and save this image from the trash. Thanks! :) BTW: How long did it take you to do this? I know it was a lot of work, at least for me it would be.
[b]Jim Neiger - [url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com]Flight School Photography[/b][/url]
[b]Kissimmee, Florida[/b]

[url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/FSP%20Current%20Workshops.htm][b]Flight School Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

14 posts |