MOTIF (open bill): another crandon visitor

Posted by gigo on Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
sandhill crane yelling his lungs out !

last year at crandon gardens - key biscayne, florida (usa)

again, this is a non-captive visitor - they fly in and out as they please and they happen to like the park :)
canon eos 10d, canon 100-400mm @ 400mm
f/5.6, 1/1500s, iso 200 (no cropping - full 1.6x frame)

now, before anybody starts complaining or wishing the tip of the beak was in focus, please realize that at such a small size it's not easy seeing everything... please >>SEE THE 100% CROP<< - the animal is paralell to my sensor plane, so if the tip of the beak in this case seems to not be in focus, it's simply because of the nature, reflectivity, and design of the bill, the fact that that part of the bill lacks the lines, grooves, patterns on it which help us evaluate sharpness (meaning it's smooth) - if you didn't read this little paragraph and still have an issue with the sharpness of the tip of the bill, then you haven't taken enough bird headshots and/or are hopeless :)

Posted by:
gigo
Forum Contributor

by Chris Kayler on Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:32 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Awesome shot, loe the open bill and the BG. A bit more DOF to get the bill into focus would be great though.

Kidding :)

by Alan Murphy on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:24 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
A very nice motif shot, even with the soft bill tip :wink: :D
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Fabs Forns on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Fabs Forns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00393
I remember exactly the day that was taken :mrgreen:
Great capture, D, and the bg is awesome too. Shame about the bill :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

he he he It's fine with me :P

by alibenn on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:23 pm
alibenn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00341
Sorry, the OOF bill tip ruins this for me..... :roll:
Alister Benn
Artist, Educator & Guide
Available Light Images Ltd.
Photography & Processing Workshops in Scotland, Spain, China & Tibet

by gigo on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:25 pm
gigo
Forum Contributor
you guys are truly terrible :lol:

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sorry if you already know this but your commentary puts me into instructor mode. Yes technically the head is parallel to the sensor/film plane in this shot however that is not what we mean when we say parallel to the film plane. What we mean with that is that the eye and the tip of the bill is the precise same distance from the film plane. This only occurs with a 3-5 degree turn of the head toward the camera since the tip of the bill is on the center line of the birds head while the eye is in front of the center line. When I teach workshops I have an overhead illustration of this but I think you can visualize what I am saying. So, often when the head is parallel to the plane, and the eye and tip of the bill are not, the tip of the bill will be behind the critical point of focus while the eye is perfectly in focus. Furthermore, when taking a head shot and the focus point is on the eye, you are giving away 1/3 of the available DOF in space in front of the bird. On a still subject in ideal conditions, you can actually nudge the point of focus just a tiny bit beyond the eye to get more of the bill/head in focus.

My analysis of this photo shows a bird whose head centerline is parallel to the film plane but critical focus is on the eye/cheek area. In this situation, the bill is a little farther from the film plane resulting the tip to be just slightly out of focus although not so much that most people would have found it objectionable - its only just marginally out of focus. I don't think its due to the bill moving either because the lower mandible drops down when these birds open their mouth and there is no motion blur evident.

In any case, this is a very nice shot.

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by gigo on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:49 pm
gigo
Forum Contributor
priceless :) - i love this place !

ej - these birds often stick their beaks into the ground (i've observed them doing it repeatedly at bosque) and i figured that has the effect of polishing the tip of their beak - i've taken more than one shot of this very same bird and they are all like that - if you've ever seen a polished cattle horn or shoe horn you'll understand :) as for focus point, it's on the lower mandible since i only use center-point focus (as i had indicated this is a full-frame shot), and not on the cheek :) but anyway i am glad to see that i caught my fish :)

oh..forgot to mention... if something is oof, surely the edges of such would be blurry no ? :)

Last edited by gigo on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Georgina Salup on Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:40 pm
Georgina Salup
Forum Contributor
Don't pay attention to any complaints...you got him/her? great. They are always running away from me :(
Let's see if tomorrow I can get one close as possible to this one. Daniel, great shot.
Georgina

by KK Hui on Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:22 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Shame on the soft bill tip, gigo!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

To be honest this is a great shot with excellent sharpness and clean bg ...
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Juan E. Bahamon on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:32 pm
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Daniel:

The bird is fine, what I like the most is the contast of red on green.
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by juanli on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:56 pm
juanli
Forum Contributor
Looks excellent fine..........I wouldn't notice the soft bill if you didn't mention it.

by Mike Wilson on Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:18 am
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Great headshot Daniel. You asked for it. :wink: :D Isn't this place fun? 8)
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by Fabs Forns on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:29 am
Fabs Forns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00393
I was with Daniel while he took this picture, and out of curiosity, I went to check mine out. I discovered that all the ones taken from the left side of the bird, like his, had the same look on the tip of the bill. On the other hand, each one taken from the right side, is fine. :roll: :roll: :shock:
Here is a 100% crop, no editin except for resizing bicubic sharper for the size limit.

by AForns on Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:51 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
With or without the bill being sharp it is a Superb image The bill polishing is interesting and could very well account for the appearance !!! Great detective work Fab 8)

It is interesting to note that we usually like the head turned (very slightly) toward the camera which changes the look entirely (light wise) and additionally it makes sense that would have an effect on the bill tip being at the eye plane. Good point E.J.

This has been a very informative post in many respects and one that makes us unique :)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

15 posts |