ID? Woodpecker having fun

Posted by Sparr on Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:35 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
I was out at high noon simply because it was the only time I could get out of work and give my new 400 a workout. Found 2 beautiful woodpeckers in a local park having fun. Any idea of ID on this one? Any recommendations for a good book on birds :) Comments on the photo much appreciated.

Steve.

10D, 400mm 5.6, 1600/sec., f 6.3, ISO 800, handheld, no flash, 30% crop

Posted by:
Sparr
Forum Contributor

by Parrothead Pete on Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:45 pm
Parrothead Pete
Forum Contributor
Looks like a male downy woodpecker per my Peterson's Field Guide...

How do you like your new lens? I picked up that same lens a few months ago and truly love it. On my back up camera (Elan 7e) it is so friggin light to handle...and I've gotten nice crisp shots with the 1.4X as well.
"There are no other Everglades in the world. They are, they have always been, one of the unique regions of the earth; remote, never wholly known. Nothing anywhere else is like them..." - Marjory Stoneman Douglas

by Dennis Olivero on Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:49 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Agree on Downy, Hairy woodpecker a little bigger. Nice background..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Alan Murphy on Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:03 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Steve, The short bill and the spots on the outer tail feathers say it's a Downy. It's a sweet shot of one.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by dkhenke on Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:33 am
dkhenke
Forum Contributor
Very nice, Steve. Saving money on lunch? Congrats on your new lens.
Dieter

by AlexC on Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:27 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Wonderful bird and a great exposure to boot, killer complimentary BG as well, a tad more USM for me, but just a touch, Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Wayne Nicholas on Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:57 am
Wayne Nicholas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00046
My only suggestion would have been to change the ISO to 400 to limit the amount of noise showing up in the image (which isn't much). You would have still have plenty of shutter speed to hand hold at 1/800 of a second.

Aside from that, nice image. Good comp and BG. Definitely a Downy WP.
[b]Wayne Nicholas[/b]
[b]Nanpa Member[/b]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=25][b]Texas Regional Moderator[/b][/url]
[color=blue][url=http://www.NicholasNaturePhoto.com][b]NicholasNaturePhoto[/b][/color][/url]
[color=blue][url=http://waynenicholas.naturescapes.net][b]Naturescapes Portfolio[/b][/color][/url]
[b]NSN 0046[/b]

by Sparr on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:08 am
Sparr
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the ID, compliments and tweak suggestions guys. I love my 400 lens, Parrothead Pete...it's so light and sharp. I haven't yet tried it with the 1.4x. I can't imagine having to manually focus with the Downy woodpecker in my sights :) .

Steve.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Definitely a Downy and and a very nice photograph. I also am, puzzled by the choice of ISO 800 when you have that much shutter speed to play with.

by J. Chevrier on Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:01 pm
J. Chevrier
Forum Contributor
Nice post, Steve! These guys can be skittish / move fast and you still managed to get a nice image here. I especially like the diagonal tree trunk, this makes it different / more powerful IMO.
Jeff Chevrier

www.photocreative.com
www.jeffchevrier.com

by fredcor on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:21 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
A very nicely composed shot. Sometimes these birds will stay and allow you to shoot; most the move too much and are difficult to capture.

The book I've found very useful is the "National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America". It is very comprhensive and excellently illustrated. I've had mine for many years, I think it's the first edition, I'm due a new copy :wink: They are available in many stores, but Chapters will definately have them.
Frederick Lat Correa

11 posts |