Too Close.........lessons learned (Pacific Loon)

Posted by DMcLarty on Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Some what hesitant on posting this image from last Spring BUT I really find it Educational, and Dramatic and Inspirational all at the same time.

First and fore most educational - when we approach the natural world we are the intruders to a degree. When we study and read about the subjects we photograph we can recognize their actions and reactions to us in their habitant pretty fast.

Our reaction to the signs of nature can be one of two things.....lesson learned here and I moved away from the Loon and out of the pond.

Nature is Dramatic and every animal has instinctive reactions to protect their space.
Canon 1D 500mm 1.4X F8 1/1000 ISO250

Something to remember as we start the new season and interact with nature. Inspiration to learn more about our subjects.

Comments always welcome.

(My hesitation in posting is that I don't want to start a major discussion on the rights and wrongs on how go about photographing. The image is a natural reaction and be it man or another animal the image would be the same. In this case I had been photographing the Loon calmly for 15 minutes before hand, but the space between us closed in and she let me know that I should leave and I did. :) )
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

Posted by:
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155

by Alan Murphy on Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:30 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Doug, I respect you for posting the story with the photo. It's what you did with the situation that counts, you honored the birds wishes. a good lesson for all of us.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by AlexC on Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:51 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
We intrude when we are no longer tolerated or when their comfort zone is reduced by our lack of respect or knowledge, they are entitled to feel free and not threatened, the wild is their domain and habitat, the place they call home, we sometimes forget that they have the same rights as we do to inhabit this Celestial Orb we call home, I also know when I am not welcome even thou sometimes we intrude!! I salute you sir!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Neil Fitzgerald on Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:56 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
I like the image. The backlit water and action are great.
It seems to me that far too many people (photographers, "nature lovers"..) have far too little knowledge of their subjects. You make a good point.

by ebkw on Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:27 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks for posting this image and the story that goes with it!!!

Now when you see an image of a loon doing this you know that it was captured because the photographer intruded on the bird's space :cry: I have watched helplessly from the shore as people in boats have attempted to photograph common loons with young chicks and "chased" them away from their feeding grounds into areas of heavy boat traffic. No concern for the welfare of the birds and just for their own pictures. :( :? :x :evil:
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

5 posts |