Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 66 posts | 
by OriolesFan on Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:45 am
OriolesFan
Forum Contributor
Since I first heard about this camera a couple of days ago, I am now, for the first time since I got serious about my photography, considering a switch to Canon. The pricetag is a lot higher than I'd like to see but unless Nikon comes out with something similar I may have to consider this as it sounds like a breakthrough camera. Lots of folks on NPN and NSN have suggested that I consider making such a move but this may provide the impetus I've been needing to make that happen.

Meg

by Anthony Medici on Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:51 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Meg, Nikon (and other Nikon mount manufacturers) have been moving to produce new cameras at very regular intervals. Nikon has the trademarked D2X in development. What it is capable of or when it will appear only Nikon knows. Kodak's14N recently got priced reduced. And neither Kodak nor Fuji have announced yet for the PMA.

Like all decisions, you need to decide if what you are using isn't able to provide you with what you need as well a balancing the cost of getting what you need. In the meantime, once all the Canon beta testers get their new Mark II, their may already be something new on the horizon. If not, then at least you'll let them figure out the camera. Everyone seems to have a bit of a learning curve when they are new.
Tony

by Greg Downing on Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:43 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
OriolesFan wrote:Since I first heard about this camera a couple of days ago, I am now, for the first time since I got serious about my photography, considering a switch to Canon. The pricetag is a lot higher than I'd like to see but unless Nikon comes out with something similar I may have to consider this as it sounds like a breakthrough camera. Lots of folks on NPN and NSN have suggested that I consider making such a move but this may provide the impetus I've been needing to make that happen.

Meg
What are you shooting with now?

Meg, Both Nikon and Canon produce great systems and there are a lot of pros that shoot one or the other very successfully. There are advantages to both and I think anyone urging you to switch just for the sake of it is doing you a disservice. There is a great deal of expense involved in switching systems and you have to ask yourself how much it will really change the results.

That being said Canon has more resources and a ton more R&D money to make things happen a little faster, which often causes Nikon to play catch-up. I'm sure I'll take heat for this comment and I'm not saying it to cause a debate with Nikon users. I'm simply stating a fact that some may not be aware of. Nikon is still a great company with great products.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by stevebein on Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:57 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
From Greg Downing.
"Meg, Both Nikon and Canon produce great systems and there are a lot of pros that shoot one or the other very successfully. There are advantages to both and I think anyone urging you to switch just for the sake of it is doing you a disservice. There is a great deal of expense involved in switching systems and you have to ask yourself how much it will really change the results"
Excuse the quote, I did not learn how to use that function here.
My experience is as follows.
I decided to switch from Nikon to Canon due to the multitude of lenses long lenses with IS. Nikon is far behind with their VR lenses.
I sold out of my Nikon system and found that I had money left over after replacing, so, if you carefully buy used, then you will find out that the cost of switching is not that much. Just be prudent on your selling out and buying and it will not be as bad as people say. That also applies somewhat in reverse, the cost of switching should be minimal. That said, both Nikon and Canon are excellent and if you are getting good results, then there is no actual reason to switch. There will always be a competition between those committed to Nikon vs Canon or Ford vs Chevy, or Mercedes vs Lexus. so decide if you want to change on the merits of each and then forget anyone saying, this is better or that is better. My experience is that I miss the metering, love the IS and other features, so evaluate and decide. Both have advantages and disadvantages and different systems. I switched after 30 years of using Nikon. There is a learning curve that can, at times be frustrating.
Good luck.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by OriolesFan on Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 pm
OriolesFan
Forum Contributor
Greg & Anthony:

I'm well aware of the cost of switching. But I'm finally seriously contemplating the move to digital as well as the purchase of really big glass (a 500/f4). I've had so many people talk to me about the value of IS lenses and while I keep hearing that Nikon will be introducing VR in its big glass "soon" it still hasn't happened. That's been the major reason I've contemplated the notion in the first place. The addition of a digital camera with the features of the 1D Mark II has pushed the notion even further.

Right now I'm shooting the Nikon N80. At the time, it made sense to go with Nikon. Part of the reason was the notion that Kerry and I would share lenses. However, our photographic interests have really diverged as we've gotten into this hobby. His interests lie in landscapes and wide angle stuff while mine are moving more and more to birds. My biggest piece of glass right now is the Sigma 300/2.8 that I got from Heather so I don't yet have a humongous investment in glass. (With the exception of the used Nikon 200 mm macro lens which is a very sweet piece of glass, everything else in my camera bag would fall into the "consumer" grade of lens.)

I rented a Nikon 500/f4 AFS-II lens over the holidays to play with a really loved it. I put it on Kerry's D100 and quickly discovered that the D100 wouldn't work well for my purposes because it's a bit on the slow side. But before I purchase a lens like this, I want to make sure I'm in the right system. With everyone telling me to go with Canon for the IS feature, coupled with the introduction of this digital body, I have to give it serious consideration. Just looking at the specs, I feel pretty confident in saying that I don't think I'd feel a need to upgrade bodies because this looks like it would offer pretty much everything I'd want. I just wish it weren't so expensive!

Meg

by Dan Creighton on Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:25 pm
Dan Creighton
Forum Contributor
Meg-

Reading the threads above and your last one in particular I have to say that I would highly recommend going with Canon. The IS glass is worth every penny and it's benefits are real. On top of that the Canon system is great too in a lot of ways you will discover as a user. Using both systems daily for my work, I would choose to use only Canon given a choice. Just my 2cents.
[color=red]updated>[/color][url]http://www.dcphotog.com[/url][color=red]<updated[/color]
and my photoblog [url]http://www.photogeneralist.com[/url]

66 posts |