All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Safariguy on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:34 am
Safariguy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00191
The TSA has implemented a rule stating that camera bags are approved as a "third bag". There is some controversy about this. There is a great editorial at http://www.photofocus.com/zine7/pressure.html and we should all lobby our preferred airlines to makes sure we, as photographers, are taken care of under these guidelines.

Cheers,
Jeff
AKA Safariguy
[url=http://www.jeffwendorff.com]My Website[/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10850/]My NSN Portfolio[/url]

by MikeBinOK on Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:11 am
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
I sent the following to Delta Airlines via their website, and unless I receive a quick positive reply, will send it via snail mail. If they and other airlines receive enough such letters, they may feel more pressure to change their policy.

I'm including my language below in case anyone is stumped on how to approach this. I do not claim it is perfect, but it may do as a model. I'd rephrase these ideas in your own words, rather than copying them directly. Also, I'd recommend you not claim to be an "elite" flyer unless you actually are or have been, and if you do make such a statement, I'd include your frequent flyer number to back it up.

The Transportation Safety Administration has implemented new rules allowing a third bag as a carry-on item if the bag is used for photographic gear. As a photographer who travels to photograph mammals and birds, and must carry a large telephoto lens in order to justify the travel, implementation of this is very important to me. I'm told United Airlines has implemented the new TSA guidance as their policy. The FAA has indicated that they have no problem with this new guidance, and that they have no authority in the area in any case. There is no regulation or rule of any agency that prevents Delta from following the TSA guidance, as United Airlines is doing now.
In the future, I will be directing as much as possible of my travel towards airlines that are implementing this policy. Like many other photographers, I travel a great deal--A check against my FF# will show that I was formerly a Gold Medallion member with Delta. I continue to fly that mileage level,distributed among several airlines now.
There has been considerable discussion of this issue on several internet discussion groups oriented towards professional photographers, and I have not seen a response from Delta described. Please advise me what Delta's policy is on this. If Delta has not yet adopted the guidance, please advise me when and if you plan to do so.
Respectfully,
(name)
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

by Larsen on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:06 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
This is a good idea. At the moment I'm too busy to research this, but if we had a list of the names of the lowest guy at each airline that has the authority to order implementation of TSA's guidance, we should direct letters there. It would have more impact. If we all write to different people & different address at the same airline, the people with the authority to order change might never be aware of how many letters they're getting. Some letters would probably be quickly dismissed and end up in the trash can if they go to the wrong people. Just an idea.
_

by tristar1 on Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:05 am
tristar1
Forum Contributor
Jeff, Mike, Peter, & all interested photographers,

I would highly suggest sending letters to each of the following four individuals at Delta Air Lines Inc. The information you send will be looked at.
Mr. Gerald Grinstein, CEO
Mr. Frederick Reid, COO
Ms. Vicki Escarra, VP & Chief Marketing Officer
Ms. M. Michele Burns, CFO

Delta Air Lines Inc.
P.O. Box 20706
Atlanta, GA 30320-6001

Please remember that change is hard to come by. I doubt that there are enough photographers to make a difference to their current policy.

I caution photographers that no U.S. airline assumes any liability for camera equipment whether it is checked or carry on. The list includes many other items also.

I also caution photographers who may get on an aircraft with their "extra" carry on on one carrier and then have to switch to another. If they don't allow the "extra" bag you will be stuck with checking it.

Everday that I fly I see the cabin being filled up with carry on baggage. Once the overhead bins are "deemed" full by the flight attendants a call is made over the intercom to the flight attendant at the entry door and she/he is told to stop allowing "roller boards". He/she then gate checks all the rest of the suitcases. Therefore, even though you meet the current carry on rules, you may not be allowed on with all your legal/approriate carry on if you board near the end of the boarding process. The major problem is that the passengers who board first, even though they are asked to use the floor to store items under the seat in front of them, do not do as they are requested. Everything is thrown into the overheads. My backpack or rollarboard suitcase will fit under the seat of any US carrier.

I hate to be so negative but I have seen this and similar problems for over 23 years.

On the positve side: I would pack the minimum essential equipment necessary for the trip you are making. Do you need the 300mm and the 100-400mm lens as well as the 600mm? Do you need wide angle and macro lens? Specifically what will you really need to photograph at your destination?

I find that I am overwhelmed with batteries and chargers. I ship them as well as film via Fed Ex in advance. I have often shipped clothes in advance to leave room in my bag for the big lens. Most often I have been driving more to locations that I want to shoot at because I usually do want the wide angle, macro, 70-200, and my 600. I aslo like to shoot medium format and a little 4" x 5". I also use high speed flash from Fortonix to shoot hummingbirds. All that equipment goes in the car and often there is room left over for my bride to go with me.

Good luck with your campaign to change Delta's mind on allowing an additional carry on bag.

There are many security problems which still exist and there is no change on the horizon for them. I feel that they are of a more timely matter than carry on bags; yet still no effort for the changes that are needed. Change is difficult for any large organization.

Have a great day and find terrific light.
Jack

by Jim Zipp on Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:28 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
tristar1 wrote:Once the overhead bins are "deemed" full by the flight attendants a call is made over the intercom to the flight attendant at the entry door and she/he is told to stop allowing "roller boards". He/she then gate checks all the rest of the suitcases. Therefore, even though you meet the current carry on rules, you may not be allowed on with all your legal/approriate carry on if you board near the end of the boarding process. The major problem is that the passengers who board first, even though they are asked to use the floor to store items under the seat in front of them, do not do as they are requested.
Because of this I always reserve seats in the rear of the plane so that I am one of the first to board. Last week in Albuquerque I had the unpleasant experience of having the gate attendant begin boarding window seats along with any in their party. He did this all the way to the front of the plane before boarding the rear aisle and center seats. Even though I had row 41 I was not allowed on the plane until late and all the overheads were full. I managed to find room under the seat and my wifes as well but is was tough. I hope this doesn't become a new standard. Now I'll have to try and book not only the rear of the plane but a window as well which doesn't have as much room under the seat in front of you either!
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Anthony Medici on Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:54 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Jim, which airline did that? Also, you're work around is to start asking for window seats.
Tony

6 posts |