Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by enriqueaguirre on Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:15 pm
enriqueaguirre
Forum Contributor
I'm considering a buying a printer and I think I have reduced my candidate list to the Canon i9900 and the Epson R1800.
I'm looking for some advise based on the use of archival inks and papers, and compatibility with my Intel based iMac.

Thanks!
Enrique Aguirre
www.enriqueaguirre.com

by Kurt N on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:29 pm
Kurt N
Forum Contributor
Sorry, I can't comment on what you're really looking for. IQ wise, I preferred my i9900. I have the 1800 now, though. Colors just don't have the pop that the Canon does, to me. That's with a calibrated monitor, too.

by Michael Eckstein on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:33 pm
Michael Eckstein
Forum Contributor
Every Epson I have owned or used has had clogging problems. Not the case with Canon printers.
"There are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

http://www.photo.net/photos/Michael%20Eckstein
http://www.meckstein.com/mike

by Royce Howland on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:06 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
The i9900 is getting a bit long in the tooth. That may or may not be big deal as a selection criterion, but it seems the i9900 is the last non-PIXMA branded printer, according to Canon USA anyway. The PIXMA Pro9000 and Pro9500 look poised to replace the i9900, the difference being the Pro9000 is an 8-ink dye printer like the i9900, while the Pro9500 uses the new 10-ink pigment system.

Note that since the i9900 is a dye ink printer, it is not in the same league for archival characteristics as any of the pigment-based Epsons like the R1800 or R2400, or the new Canon pigment printers (presumably). So you need to decide what you need when you say "archival inks".

I owned an i9900 and liked it okay -- fast, nice gamut, etc. But I did have to get it serviced twice under warranty, once for a head replacement (which I could do myself) and once for a faulty sheet feed mechanism (required a factory depot visit). People have had horror stories with all brands, and I suspect there is really little advantage between them in terms of failure rate. But I do like the user-replaceable print head design used by Canon (and also HP's new 13" pigment printer also).

I'm currently using an Epson R2400 since I needed the archival quality, and the simple roll feed adapter is handy for my big pano's. (I suppose I could have hand made a roll adapter for the Canon.) The R2400 is a solid performer, quick enough and very nice prints although not quite the same "pop" as the Canon had with far less profile tweaking. The R1800 is still using the older Ultrachrome inks, not the new K3 inks used by the R2400. So the R1800 probably will have more limited gamut and poorer quality for B&W, likely more or less equivalent to the old R2200. Clogging has been minor with my R2400, but then my i9900 never clogged once.

So what would I recommend? If pigment ink is a key factor, get the R1800 or R2400; or if you can wait then check out the Canon Pro9500 when it comes available. (Perhaps look at the HP Pro B9180 now.) Personally I would not go for an i9900 right now unless it was essentially free. But I am definitely looking ahead to the Canon 10-ink pigment printers.
Royce Howland

by enriqueaguirre on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:49 pm
enriqueaguirre
Forum Contributor
Thanks!

I think that the dye vs pigment issue is going to be the key here. I have owned a couple of Epson printers before, back in Europe, and I can cope with their "mood swings", but I might have to wait to see what the Pixma pro9500 has to offer.
Enrique Aguirre
www.enriqueaguirre.com

by whf4 on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:47 pm
whf4
Forum Contributor
I am waiting for the pixma 9500 as well. I am impressed by the Luminous Landscape review of the HP printer as well
4 down, 2 to go.

by Bob Bell on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:01 pm
Bob Bell
Forum Contributor
I have had clogging issues with the HP I have so I am hoping the new Canon's are really nice so I can do printing at home without having to clean the whole thing everytime I want to print.

by pesto126 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:32 am
pesto126
Forum Contributor
I'm in the same boat... I love Canon printers but am now printing for clients and just cannot take a chance that the i9900 prints will only last 5-10 years! For personal printing... its not as important.. but for clients spending hundreds.. I need some archival prints. Which means.. I need a new printer!

So.. the real debate.. do I just buy the new HP with the pigment inks? Buy the new Canon Pro 9000 when it comes out next month (supposed to be more archival.. although I cannot find a single review about this printer! so I don't know enough about the new inks to know if it is worth it)?

I just wish the choice was easy and straightforward...
Please visit my blog & online gallery at http://www.jingothecat.com

by shedgepeth2 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:27 pm
shedgepeth2
Forum Contributor
Every epson printer I've used, with the exception of the R1800 has had clogging problems. The R1800 has performed flawlesly for 6 months now with no cloggong problems. Great prints.

by enriqueaguirre on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:26 pm
enriqueaguirre
Forum Contributor
the new Epson is out of my budget... it looks like a R1800 for me.
Enrique Aguirre
www.enriqueaguirre.com

10 posts |