All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by Neil Fitzgerald on Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:17 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
One day soon I'm going to get a decent tripod. My current Velbon flexes like a fishing rod! Right now my longest lens is a 300 f/2.8 usually with a 2x, but one day I hope to go all out and get a 600. I was thinking about getting a 1548, which should be all I'd ever need. I don't think it is possible to have too much tripod. I have heard a few comments though about Gitzos not being terribly durable in adverse conditions like water, mud and sand. I try not to abuse my gear unnecessarily, but it will be immersed in salt and fresh water, pushed into mud and sand, and is likely to be bashed into the odd tree or rock.
So, my question is, does anyone have any first hand experience with CF Gitzos in these sorts of conditions, and how well do they handle it. Should I consider a wood tripod for the rough stuff and lighter lenses? I like the idea of wood but was put off by relatively short extended lengths and low load capacity (for a 600mm which realistically may never happen).
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Neil.

by Heather Forcier on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:39 pm
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
Well, I have the 1348 carbon fiber tripod from Gitzo. I use it in mud, salt water, fresh water, slimey water, etc. I often just dump the water out of it and move on to the next spot.

There are ways of maintaining your tripod to help lengthen its useful life, but I will let someone who has actually done that respond instead of me. :)
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Greg Downing on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:39 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I abuse my Gitzo 1548 more than anyone could ever imagine and it keeps on taking it.

Mine has served me well in all the conditions you describe on a regular basis and has been completely submerged in salt water on many occasions. I have never so much as replaced a bushing (though I have taken it apart and cleaned it numerous times).

BTW I will be writing a short step-by-step article on how to clean a Gitzo very soon. Look for it here!

In short, you just need to take it apart and clean it, let the composite bushings dry and then re-assemble it. Apply a little lithium grease on the threads when putting them back together. While the internal system is designed to run dry, you can put a tiny bit of grease on the plastic bushings to help get it back together (and you can also squeeze them together to make them fit tight), but never on the composite bushing.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Simon A on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:42 am
Simon A
Lifetime Member
Member #:00079
Neil,

From my experience the conditions you describe should/will be no problem for a Gitzo CF tripod. You may find that the 1548 is overkill for your needs unless you are going to purchase a 600/f4, and even then you may find you want two tripods to best meet your requirements. What has worked well for me is a 1325 equipped with a B1, which I use as an all purpose tripod, and a 1548 equipped with a Wimberely which I use when shooting with the 600.

Cleaning the tripod is not particularly difficult when you get sand or the like in it, for road trips I carry some white grease in a plastic film canister, and I have purchased an extra set of bushings so I do not have to wait for the wet ones to dry.

Regards, Simon
Simon Allenby
NSN 0079

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The Gitzo tripods are incredibly durable in my opinion. I own 4 of them and none have ever required more that the occasional taking apart. cleaning and lubricating. And that is only required after they have been submerged in water or mud. I use mine in the heat of the Sonoran desert and in sub-arctic cold climates. If there is one negative on the Gitzos, its that their leg locks can sometimes be a pain to operate but there is no durability issue.

by Mark S. Peterson on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Mark S. Peterson
Forum Contributor
I still use an aluminum Gitzo, the 1340, as my "main pod" and it's incredibly versatile and sturdy. I know some people have talked about sand/grit problems with the aluminum Gitzo legs, but I've had no problems at all over the years. I have no qualms about using it in the harshest of conditions.

I hope to add a CF before the end of the year, but I won't hesitate to expose it to the same conditions. For a 600mm lens, I agree with the others that the 1548 is a good choice.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark S. Peterson
NSN 371
[url]http://www.mpetersonphoto.com[/url]
[url]http://www.facebook.com/mpetersonphoto[/url]

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:25 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Thanks guys. You have eased many of my concerns.
Greg, I look forward to the article.

Cheers,

N.

by Brian K. on Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:25 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
Well, I was going to ask about a recommendation for a Gitzo tripod and this is the right thread and time to ask. I am 5'8" and I will be using it with a Eos 3 (10D soon!) with a Canon 400mm f2.8 II lens. I currently have a Wimberley head on my Bogen 3033 tripod. I need to lose some weight. The tripod also! :oops:
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Brian I think the Gitzo 1325 is the ideal tripod for that set-up. Alternately if you want something a bit more compact but still plenty sturdy for your equipment, try the 1348.

by Darwin on Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:23 pm
Darwin
Forum Contributor
Hey, I never have owned a Gitzo (to pricy for me), I know they are good... but everybody seems to always have to clean and lubricate them the leg locks. I want a tripod that can take the abuse and not need any maintenance. I own a SLik Pro 4 (a big stable tank of a tripod - goes to over 8 feet high - yes I use that feature all the time!). Has leg locks that have never needed adjusting or cleaning in over 10 years of solid abuse. And the leg joints can all be loosened at the same time for quicker take down or set up than the 'pain in the butt' Gitzo leg joints that need to be loosened and tightened one at a time. This thing weighs over 13 LBS but will easily hold a 600mm and never even vibrates in a gail force wind. It is my workhorse take everywhere 'bear killer' tripod. You might want to check it out if you want a good weight training programme!

by Greg Downing on Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:37 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Darwin wrote:Hey, I never have owned a Gitzo (to pricy for me), I know they are good... but everybody seems to always have to clean and lubricate them the leg locks. I want a tripod that can take the abuse and not need any maintenance. I own a SLik Pro 4 (a big stable tank of a tripod - goes to over 8 feet high - yes I use that feature all the time!). Has leg locks that have never needed adjusting or cleaning in over 10 years of solid abuse. And the leg joints can all be loosened at the same time for quicker take down or set up than the 'pain in the butt' Gitzo leg joints that need to be loosened and tightened one at a time. This thing weighs over 13 LBS but will easily hold a 600mm and never even vibrates in a gail force wind. It is my workhorse take everywhere 'bear killer' tripod. You might want to check it out if you want a good weight training programme!
Darwin, I have looked at the Slik Pro-4 and decided it wasn't for me because I often shoot within inches of the ground and the geared center column would not allow me to do that. Using a Wimberley head about the closest I could get to the ground with the Slik is about 28 inches. I am curious if the leg locks are much different from the Gitzo as they look very similar. Also are there any models without center columns that would support a 600mm lens? I can't seem to find one.

As far as cleaning the Gitzo that is only necessary when completely immersing them in water (especially salt water and mud). I wonder if you use your Slik tripod in similar conditions, shooting mostly landscapes. ?
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Jim Zipp on Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:38 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
[quote="Greg Downing]I am curious if the leg locks are much different from the Gitzo as they look very similar[/quote]

Greg, I don't know about that particular model but a friend of mine uses a pro slick model that is similar in size to the Gitzo 410 series and although it has similar leg locks to the Gitzo it has a small rib in the leg that keeps them from rotating. I have used Gitzo's exclusively for 25 years and would love it if they could incorporate a feature in them that would keep the sections from rotating. I find that a constant irritation!
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by deBult on Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:44 pm
deBult
Forum Contributor
Neil Fitzgerald wrote:So, my question is, does anyone have any first hand experience with CF Gitzos in these sorts of conditions, and how well do they handle it.
Neil,

Suggest looking into Thom Hogan's Tripod 101 [or "how to save 700 $ on your tripod investment - eventually"] . His story on investing to "little" in tripods reflects my own experiences.

I personally love :oops: the Gitzo 1227 & Acratech combo for hiking [ OK up to D100 & 300 mm & TC14] and Gitzo 1325 & Arca Swiss B1 [rock solid] for 500 mm & TC14.

Considerring tripod height: be aware in the field your tripod tends to "shrink" (uneven terrain , slopes).

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
deBult

Last edited by deBult on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Brian K. on Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:23 pm
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Thanks EJ. I was thinking that was the way to go. Am I correct in saying that the difference is that the 1325 has 3 sections compared to 4 on the 1348?
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]

by Greg Downing on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:09 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Brian K. wrote:Thanks EJ. I was thinking that was the way to go. Am I correct in saying that the difference is that the 1325 has 3 sections compared to 4 on the 1348?
Yep, that is correct! Otherwise they are comparable as far as weight capacity and are both suitable for the 500/4. The 1348 (4-section) is the tripod Heather uses.
Greg Downing

by Wayne Ellis on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:55 am
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
Neil,

Came across a great tripod today, it's an old wooden one made for surveyors. Cost me $30 Aus (US15). All I have to do is have a small flange machined to fit the column from my other old tripod and I am away. No more rust, no more crutching down. It is stable and cheap. Check out for local flea market.
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

by Darwin on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:48 am
Darwin
Forum Contributor
Greg,

The Slik Pro 4 can be bought with an optional short center column. The tripod does splay to ground level with the short center column. As far as I know most of the pro series Sliks can be had with a shorter column. I love the tripod because I can go from 4 inches low to over 8 feet high with the same tripod, great for perspective changes in landscape work.

I have used the tripod extensively in sand, salt water, muck, ice and snow, fresh water and never once had to clean the leg bushings. Best of all, it'll hold 4x5, 6x17, 645, and 35mm rock solid. I have tested Gitzo's for an article in a Photo Magazine and found them to be rock solid, durable and in my tests the least prone to camera vibration with long lenses attached (probably why almost all wildlife shooters own Gitzos!). The only thing I hated about them is that the legs rotate during loosening and you have to loosen and tighten individual leg sections separately (a pain if your in a hurry!), and in my interviews with a number of wildlife shooters, I heard major complaints of bushing maintenance and bushing replacement with Gitzos. This article was done mid 90's so maybe the newer Gitzos have addressed the bushing failure problems. Sounds like the ones you use are indestructable.

by Chris Fagyal on Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:19 pm
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor
I like Heather and others have the Gitzo 1348 Carbon fibre and absolutely love it. It stood up great this past week in Florida in sweltering temperatuers and salt water as I dragged it around the little lagoons at Fort DeSoto.
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

by Brian K. on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:17 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
To all,

Thanks for the replies. I have one last queston nagging me. Is the 4 section tripod less stable than the 3 section? Or do you find when locked down they are as stable? Thanks again.
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]

by Greg Downing on Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:27 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Generally a 4-section will be less stable because the bottom sections are thinner and there are more connections. This is comparing similar rated models such as the 1325 and 1348.
Greg Downing

22 posts |