Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Buzz Bryson on Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:57 pm
Buzz Bryson
Forum Contributor
Have checked various mfgrs, bulletin boards, etc., and can't decide. I want a rolling bag that will hold two bodies, 3-4 moderate-size lenses (12-24, 17-35, 28-70, and/or 60), a 70-200, and a 300 f/2.8. Plus a flash or two, misc. cords, batteries, and the like. Nothing larger than the 300.

I'd like it to be airline compliant, wheeled, and possibly with aux. backpack straps. I've looked at the Lowepro Road Runner AW, the Tamrac equivalents, etc. Also, the ones with no backpack straps, which appear to save weight and offer more internal space.

I'm concerned about being forced to check bag if it exceeds weight requirement, space is limited, or whatever. Thus wondering about a hard sided case.

Also, wondering if big wheels version Tamrac offers has significant advantages over more typical skateboard size wheels; on gravel, for instance.

Doesn't need to be completely waterproof, but moisture and dust resistance are important.

Have some "votes", inc. one for standard rolling luggage case with padding (thanks, EJ). Would appreciate others' experience. Hoping to head to NZ next year, so overseas is possibility too.

Thanks in advance,
Buzz Bryson

by Juan A. Pons on Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:16 pm
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028
I have the LowePro RoadRunner AW. Altough it's big and heavy the wheels make it glide through airports.

I have never had anyone question the weight of the bag as I am loading it on the overhead compartment, and have never been asked to check it because of weight.

It fits in *MOST* airline overhead compartments. Sometimes I have to slide it in sideways and sometimes I have to push it in very hard. Other times you just CANT take it on the plane, and need to check it plane side. Those times that I have had to check it plane side I have not had any problems. But overall, I would say that I have been able to take it on board with me 90% of the time. However keep in mind that if you travel often on smaller commuter planes (even the little jets) you will have to check it plane side. I have to say though that I feel MUCH more comfortable checking the bag plane side rather at the regular check in.

This is what I have in my bag:

Canon 10D
Canon 550ex, 4 sets of batteries, cords, etc.
Canon 420ex
Canon 500/4 IS
Canon 300/4 IS
Canon 16-35/2.8
Canon 28-70/2.8
Canon 100/2.8
Canon 1.4x & 2x TCs
Better Beamer
ShapeShifter flash bracket
4 BP-511 batteries
3 12" collapsible reflectors
and a bunch of Misc stuff like flashlight, remote shutter, cleaner, tools, etc.

Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to fit my 100-400 and 70-200 in the bag....

Hope this helps.

-J
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

by Rocky Sharwell on Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:57 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I use the Roadrunner--but I have gotten completely rid of all the backpack straps/harness/and the lumbar pad. IMHO, the bag was too heavy to use as a backpack--but superb for keeping my gear organized. I carry my 600 IS w/o hood plus a lot of the same same stuff that Juan Pons does. It is a great bag--I think they could sell a lot more of them if they just got rid of all the backpack stuff and sold it was a rolling bag.

I bought mine on EBAY about two years ago and got a great deal....
Rocky Sharwell

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:24 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Buzz
FWIW I use the tamrac rolling backpack ... There is no way you could carry it loaded on the back, so with a pair of scissors, the straps and backpack stuff went on the first day. I was recently told it was an inch and 3/4 over specs but I have never been stopped and I can get it into any overhead except in the regional jets, in which case you could barely get a pair of gloves in the overhead.

I have had to planeside check it a few times. I have abused it to death and it has been on trips monthly for the last two years without so much as a broken zipper etc. I think the quality is good. I put a 600, 3002.8, 70-200, wide angle, body,flash, meters, converters and tubes in there along with some flash brackets and cords..Its like lifting a golden retriever up into the overhead bin, but I try to act like it is light when I toss it up there. 8)
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Rocky Sharwell on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:01 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Dennis Olivero wrote:Buzz
Its like lifting a golden retriever up into the overhead bin, but I try to act like it is light when I toss it up there. 8)
My roadrunner is the same way!
Rocky Sharwell

by Jim Zipp on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:24 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
I like the rolling bag idea but have worked around it. I have a Photo Trekker AW into which my 600, 300 2.8, 2 bodies, 2X, 1.4X and whatever misc small items I can fit in. I strap bungees across the top pocket to make it lie flat and look thinner and tuck the waist belt and shoulder straps inside. It weighs less than the allowed 40 lbs.

I also have a rolling expandable laptop bag that I have my laptop as well as 70-200, battery packs, 17-37, and a pile of battery chargers in. I pull up the handle and put the Trekker on it and roll away. No way does it roll as nicely as the rolling bags but it isn't bad and I use my backpack when I get to my destinations a lot. Works for me but I'm always looking for a better way. I'm still waiting to hear how the extra bag for photogs works out in the real world too.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Buzz Bryson on Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:01 pm
Buzz Bryson
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated!
Buzz Bryson

by abiggs on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:47 pm
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
Buzz, let us know what you decide. Good luck with your search.

Andy
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by Buzz Bryson on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:31 pm
Buzz Bryson
Forum Contributor
Well, after spending an hour or so at my local shop (Southeastern Camera in Raleigh, 919-836-2222 - - - shameless plug), which happened to have most of the Lowepro, Tamrac, Lightware and a couple of other brands of rollers in stock, and trying gear in them, I decided to stick with the Road Runner AW. Decision was based on combination of reasons: stuff fit well, backpack straps and waist band were easily removable, e-mails exchanged with several others who travel plenty showed no problems with it as carry-on. W/o straps, tape measure shows it (barely) makes the semi-standard 45" max. Maury Cohen at Lowepro said it was designed to just meet that requirement, and he (agreeing with the others I talked to) had no problems carrying it on. All brands seemed well-made (competition is a wonderful thing), so in the end it does come down to comfort with the details.

My goal was to have a carry-all, carry-on roller first, with backpacking use/comfort a distant second. I'd think if one wanted those priorities reversed, the standard backpacks would save considerable weight and have a better harness. But for my needs, I'm completely satisfied.

Thanks again for comments/suggestions.
Buzz Bryson

by abiggs on Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:13 pm
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Which Road Runner AW version did you get? It sounds like the Mini.
Andy Biggs

by Buzz Bryson on Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:20 pm
Buzz Bryson
Forum Contributor
No, got the regular one. Without the backpack harness, and the daypack, it just squeezes under the 45" limit. Couple of the regulars on sportsshooter.com said they carry it on domestic flights routinely, with as much as the 400 f/2.8 in it, and have never been challenged. With all my junk in it, it weighed 38 lbs. Rolls great, and can stand it for short distance as backpack if needed, which is all I wanted.
Buzz Bryson

by abiggs on Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:25 pm
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Unfortunately for me, I fly KLM internationally, and their policy is:

22x14x9 = 45" in total.

It is the specific lenghts that get all screwed up. Even the mini goes over by an inch on one of the dimensions.

argh. Drives me nuts. However, that is why I am moving towards a solution like this, so I can feel better about it getting checked, just in case.

Thanks for your posts.
Andy Biggs

by stevebein on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:15 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Another thing to consider is the Porter case. I have two and they are great. I do not carry the large lenses in them, but they will take lots and they become a set of wheels for the rest of all my cases. they will fold down and you can load up to 200# on them. One of my cases always has my rotating panoramic and the other I use on and off. I got the one with the photo dividers and folder on top. If I was going to buy another one, it would be with the dividers (Which come out) and without the top folder section. MOre versitile that way. Something other than the usual to consider. I also use a Tamrac rolling backpack when I need to carry the longer lens.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

13 posts |