Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 

I feel that wildife feeding...
is OK in all situations regardless of species  2%  [ 2 ]
is never OK regardless of situation / nature should take its course  15%  [ 15 ]
is OK for songbirds etc. but not for Raptors or Mammals  7%  [ 7 ]
is OK as long as I get the image I am after  0%  [ 0 ]
is OK taken on a case by case basis  32%  [ 33 ]
Is OK as long as no harm or danger is coming to the animal or to humans from the act of feeding.  44%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 102
by S_Leeper on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:41 pm
S_Leeper
Forum Contributor
Mark wrote:You can't feed the birds and not feed the squirrels, whether you try to prevent it or not. The two just go hand in hand. :P
I use a baffle, looks like an upside down umbrella made out of plastic, on a pole mounted feeder away from jumping branches.

It took me a lot of tries before I got my feeder squirrel proof. However, you are still correct that the squirrels do get some in the summer when some of the bigger birds throw seed out... which I was able to modify the feeder a bit, by slowing down the rate the seed spill into the feeder area & thus greatly reducing the amount they throw out.
Topic Locked  

by dash on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:39 pm
dash
Forum Contributor
Do my kids qualify as wildlife? My wife and neighbors think so. I feed them frequently, and at times I even hazard my life, so the danger element is certainly there. Fingers have been bitten, etc. They love to sing, but are not songbirds. Their nails are sometimes quite long, but they are not raptors. I feed them at least three times a day. They are, I think, homo sapiens (species). I frequently get the image I want when feeding them.

I am not exactly sure how to vote...
David Asscherick

Sola Deo Gloria
Michigan, USA
Topic Locked  

by Greg Downing on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:48 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
David. Are you sure you're not just tricking them? :lol: All species fight over food to some degree, especially when there is a shortage of it. Heather and I just had a "disagreement" over the last of the fiddle faddle and I hid it in the cabinet (hope she's not reading).

I have some tips on getting photos of wild kids. When feeding to attract them feed only candy but in small amounts so they keep coming back. Also, if you want to get close-ups with wide angle lenses (nice backgrounds etc) then place a lollipop at your feet and keep still. 8)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]
Topic Locked  

by dash on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:03 pm
dash
Forum Contributor
Great advice Greg! So, then, how should I vote?

BTW, I leave day after tomorrow for Homer. Will I be stoned by the locals? Heather seems to suggest that I won't. Do I need to bring pepper spray? Please inform.
David Asscherick

Sola Deo Gloria
Michigan, USA
Topic Locked  

by Heather Forcier on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:43 am
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
Greg - Know about the Fiddle Faddle. :D

David,

I hope you enjoy your trip to Homer. On the Spit I can recommend eating at Land's End and Happy Face restaurant, at the latter you can sometimes hijack a local WiFi signal to surf the net. It's not consistent but it's something. In town Fat Olives became a favorite.

The people are really nice in Homer and of course the time spent with the eagles is an experience of a lifetime, one I really hope you enjoy. :)

I do NOT think you will be stoned by the locals, in fact I think people will be their nice selves unless you are disobeying the rules, leaving litter all over the place, or hauling skeet shooters onto the beach, etc. You may be videotaped as "evidence" that feeding eagles is bad. If you do anything wrong or immoral on the tape they are likely to try to turn you in. At one point we were told we had trespassed on property and they had footage of us past the sign. That was a complete fabrication, because we went back to every spot we had been and NONE had signs or restricted access. So, if you are approached and told stuff like that, I suggest you speak with someone else that's local to get the facts straight.

We were videotaped a number of times and having these folks checking out our cars in the Land's End parking lot made me very uneasy. Out of concern for vandalism or theft, you may want to remove everything from your vehicle when you are not in it.

If you feel harassed, you should let people know. Call the police, mention it to local businesses, visit the local chamber and tell them about it. Everyone I talked to locally felt very bad we had been harassed and I think if enough people complain, the locals might do something about it. You can save yourself some time by collecting relevant phone numbers before you even go. Verizon wireless service worked on the Spit. The Land's End folks are pretty tuned in locally, if you are staying there or at least eating there they are good people to talk to.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about what to expect in Homer. On an interesting note, one person was so intent on taping us doing something wrong that she drove and parked on the wrong side of the road. I took a photo of her doing that. :)
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]
Topic Locked  

by dash on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:12 am
dash
Forum Contributor
Great Heather. Thanks for the info. I'll forego the pepper spray. I'll keep yu informed as to how things go there...

Leave tomorrow!!!
David Asscherick

Sola Deo Gloria
Michigan, USA
Topic Locked  

by Wil Hershberger on Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:13 am
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:You should add:

It's OK as long as no harm or danger is coming to the animal or to humans from the act of feeding.
I agree and voted for this option.
I am certain that there are as many points of view on this issue as there are people.
Banding studies have shown that song birds at feeders derive only a fraction of their daily food intake from feeding stations. I would image that same is true for other wildlife. Looks like a good PhD project for someone.
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]
Topic Locked  

by birdlover on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:10 pm
birdlover
Forum Contributor
I have been to Homer Alaska and the area the feeding takes place is marine industry, heavy construction,fish factories and traffic. What about this can be considered safe, or even eagle habitat. I have read about this "eagle lady". It seems to me that eagles are migratory birds and they should have been allowed to do so. Is it ever ok to prevent the migration of an animal for the personal benefit of a few. About your poll. How can a visitor be sure that feeding the animal did not result in harm. Birds all look alike and whose to say the one you fed didn't die at a later date because of your action. Every campground in Denali National Park says don't feed the fox and squirrels because you cause their death at a later date. The rule of thumb should be first do no harm. I believe feeding animals in the wild, unless by biologists, can never be considered nonharmful.
birdlover
Topic Locked  

28 posts |