Sandhill Crane in Flight - Bosque del Apache NWR

Posted by RAmoruso on Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
While editing images from 8 days of shooting at Bosque del Apache NWR in November (including three days with Artie Morris on his IPT), I came upon this one that immediately caught me eye.

The sharpness of the crane's eye and body and the vivid orange of the eye really drew my attention. When shooting birds in fight, I try to balance it with an appealing background, but this shot was unexpected. To date, my favorite from Bosque. The printed 13 x 19 is striking in its detail of the head and eye.
2004:11:30 8:14:11
700mm (500mm x/1.4X)
1/2000 sec, f/9
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 320
AF mode: AI Servo AF

Thanks for looking.
Robert Amoruso
NSN 0405
robertamorusophotography@comcast.net

Posted by:
RAmoruso
Regional Moderator
Member #:00405

by Mike Wilson on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:33 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Nice. The light, diagonal body position, bg mountains, and colors are all great. The wing position is certainly on the good side, but I wish the head wasn't merging with the wing. Not a real big deal. Great image.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by KK Hui on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:43 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Mike Wilson wrote: ... The wing position is certainly on the good side, but I wish the head wasn't merging with the wing. ...
What Mike said ...

With the details you captured I can easily see why this is your favorite from Bosque. :roll:
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by AForns on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:21 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Agree with previous and just wanted to add Artie really like the wings all up or down !!!!

The image is very sharp and the angle flying toward you is great !!!! Should be very proud of this one It’s a sure keeper !!!

On these type images you might want to try incident metering and compensate. When the bird has the mountains in the back or sky the exposure will be very different but you have the same light on the bird. One has to be wrong :roll: With incident you will be correct both times 8)

Very good image Robert..... hoping to see more !!!!! 8) 8)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Alan Murphy on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:03 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Mike said it all for me. Nice shot.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by RAmoruso on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:59 am
RAmoruso
Regional Moderator
Member #:00405
Thanks for the comments. I would have preferred the head contrasted against the sky vs. the wing but with so many other elements working in the image I can forgive that.

My print on Epson Enhanced Matte pops with the detail in the head. This sets it out from the wing and is much less a factor then in the image uploaded here.

Alfred, Thanks for the incident metering recommendation. I sold my old one a while back and am now looking at a new one to buy.
Robert Amoruso
NSN 0405
robertamorusophotography@comcast.net

6 posts |