All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 6:04 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Continuing

4. I see in the right that your metadata has been updated, you may want to click on that statement and see what LR presents as options.

Also, if you scroll down more on the right, or change from Default to say Quick Describe to cut down the info displayed, whats stated for camera?

Oh, dirty word, now on page two.

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
And what is in the Keyword Tag section (just out of frame)?

P.S. only a one star? I would be crazy happy with that photo as is, at least a four star.

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Continuing

5. Keyword suggestions never shows everything, not enough room, and they did not include a scroll feature in that panel. Nine is all it ever shows.

P.S. In keyword Sets, you are limited to none keywords per set. Their is a reason for this number nine, I just do not remember what.

Ahh, Nine numbers on your numeric keypad, so nine possible shortcuts. That's why nine. Someone got shortcut happy.

by joseph motto on Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Incredible! All of my keywords are back. Thank you very much; made my day. I have proceeded onto step 2. The synchronizing is in progress but with that many images I suspect it will take a while. I will revisit the metadata after it is done.
My questions: (1) Should I be backing up my catalog at regular intervals to both an external hard drive and to the D-drive on my desktop as well? (2) Is there some unchecked box somewhere that should be checked to be sure the keywords and metadata accompany the backed up catalog images?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
joseph motto wrote:Incredible! All of my keywords are back. Thank you very much; made my day. I have proceeded onto step 2. The synchronizing is in progress but with that many images I suspect it will take a while. I will revisit the metadata after it is done.
My questions: (1) Should I be backing up my catalog at regular intervals to both an external hard drive and to the D-drive on my desktop as well? (2) Is there some unchecked box somewhere that should be checked to be sure the keywords and metadata accompany the backed up catalog images?

(1) Back up back up and back up. To multiple locations. You can use a backup program, you can let LR backup (by default you get a prompt) or you could simply copy the entire catalog. I would back up to another internal HD AND an external HD, and if you can afford one a Network Addressed Storage. You might also want to copy to an additional external HD and lock that one up somewhere in case of computer theft.

How often? First off each time you come back from a photo-shoot/trip/vacation and work away in LR, go and do a backup to at least that other internal drive and the external drive, Copies to NAT drives can be very very slow, so your call for how often and at what time. That extra external HD? Probably same time as any external HD you keep attached. Their are entire books talking about how where when  to backup. Many opinions, many methods. (if you want to use your LR with MAC and PS, then it can be trickier)

Can not be to careful. Some Pros have had only one backup, on an external hard drive connected right to their computer, when the computer got stolen, the crooks took the external hard drive as well, and downhill from that point. Got to be paranoid about theft, got to be paranoid about something going wrong with hardware.

Note that I am probably in the minority as to how many LR catalogs to keep, Majority goes for one. But my several LR catalogs do not take as much time to backup as if I had a gigantic (and by now it would be) single catalog, just saying. Oh, if I were to update my backups of all my catalogs that would take forever, but just the one I am currently working on? Not so bad.

(2) No mystery box, keywords are in the catalog (basically one big database), same for the Metadata that LR was used to place (your images come with metadata the camera placed, and you can add metadata via LR)

3) Yes, I know you did not have 3. Previously mentioned a folder that LR keeps presets etc in. You need to back that up as well. Just when changed. (Edit/Preferences/Presets/Show Lightroom Presets Folder/ open up that Lightroom folder you see, copy all those sub-folders somewhere)

Incidental that last screen shot was a picture worth a thousand words, I for one was looking at your problem all wrong and too complex.

by signgrap on Wed May 31, 2017 7:24 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I would make sure that XMP (sidecar files) are enabled. Edit menu > Catalog Settings > Metadata tab, make sure that a check is in the box which says "Automatically write changes into XMP". When you write metadata changes into a sidecar file all Keywords, ratings and all adjustments you've made to an image file are now stored along side the image file. If your catalog gets corrupted or lost you can rebuild the catalog because all the catalog data is also stored in the XMP (sidecar file). There is a command that writes sidecar files for all previously worked on images but at the moment I can't recall what it is. It will take a while to write the sidecar files for all your images so it might be something you will want do when your not working on the computer.
Dick Ludwig

by joseph motto on Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Thank you once again for all your time and efforts. You will be added to my Christmas card list.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

27 posts |