« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by Vivek on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
AFAIK, no known solution for this on El Capitan.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:44 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Here is what I've been doing ever since Apple forced unwanted programs on me: Throw them out. Now, you may say that can't be done; every time you try you get a dialog stating that this program can't be deleted because the system needs it. But that isn't true; just e-intimidation. Here is what you do:

Make a bootable backup - you may already have one - and startup the computer from that backup. Then go to the Application folder on the computer's HD and toss out everything you don't want. You won't get that e-intimidation message because you're not making this change to the startup disk you're currently using. After pruning to your heart's content restart the computer from the internal HD. Everything will be fine, you will not notice that anything is missing, except the annoying auto launch of certain programs that Apple thinks you shouldn't live without.

There is a catch, though. When updating/upgrading to the next release of the OS, all the junk that you tossed out will be back again and you have to repeat the procedure. Not a big deal if you're like me and don't update/upgrade every time something becomes available.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Anthony Medici on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:24 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
If you are going to prune as suggested by Jen, I'd suggest that you do it from the regular system disk rather than the backup. You should also get AppZapper before you start. AppZapper looks for things related to the program you are removing and finds other things created or used by that program that also can be deleted.

Yes you get the system asking you about trashing things. It isn't that hard to override and AppZapper gets rid of additional things you don't need.
Tony

by Greg Downing on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Thanks for that info guys!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Vivek on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:28 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Hmm I need to try this since it certainly seems like a solution I need. All I now need to know is how to create a "bootable backup" :D
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

25 posts |