« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 47 posts | 
by Andrew_5488 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:57 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
  I agree with every aspect of what you wrote.  Why use the word "baiting"?  Why not just use the word "feeding."?  

Hey, its rough out there….even in the good times.  So why not give wildlife a chance whenever we can?   Talk to you later :).
Because those are two different words with two different meanings ?

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
jeff Parker wrote:I really do not understand what problem people have with baiting animals for observation or photography.  Unless it's live animals being fed to owls and the welfare of the bait is what is upsetting.

Bird feeders are baiting.  I don't know about other states, but in Texas baiting deer to KILL them is big business.
I really can't understand why people can't move their lazy behinds.

Bird feeders are to help birds during winter. I don't know about other states but seems like Texas has a lot of problems in a lot of different areas.

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:24 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:

Words can be used to serve an authors bias or agenda or for propaganda.  I hear the word "circus" used to describe places where many photographers are gathered around photographing owls (maybe one or two are feeding the owls).  The word "circus" here is used to paint a situation that they do not like, in a negative light.  If you ask the photographers, they will mostly say it was an awesome experience to see such a majestic bird up close flying around etc. 

With owls, people are not baiting it in to capture or kill it. The owl is free to go. Hunters as one person mentioned, sometimes do bait wildlife in to KILL them.  Fishermen (not the catch and release folks) do use "bait" to catch fish to KILL them for food. 
If you go to real circus and ask people afterwards,most likely they'll say "it was awesome to see such a majestic" animal up close.
Some people disagree and words have nothing to do with it. Maybe you're not supposed to see tiger jumping on command.
Maybe you're not supposed to see Great Gray Owl or whatever bird of prey feeding on command (different story if we're talking about injured birds that
can't be rehabilitated).

In this day and age,when your survival doesn't depend on it,anyone who bait for purpose of killing is not a hunter but rather a killer.

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:49 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
jeff Parker wrote:If you really step back and look at it, all of Bosque del Apache is baiting.  Corn is planted for the birds and ponds are flooded for the birds.  Neither situation is natural.  Same for winter feeding on the National Elk Refuge. What about hummingbird feeders?  This is all baiting.

There are many issues I don't agree with but I can usually at least see where the other side is coming from.  The uproar over baiting completely puzzles me.
Bosque del Apache was created to help waterfowl during migration. National Elk Refuge was created to help elk during winter.
No baiting, feeding.
You could argue in case of National Elk Refuge since now they sell hunting licenses there.

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:03 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I personally would not try and feed potentially dangerous animals such as coyotes which can then become a nuisance leading to their demise. I saw this first hand on the Cabot Trail where a moose hunting guide was throwing pieces of a sandwich to a coyote. Next morning I see the trail where the coyote was fed closed and the warden looking for it. Apparently, the coyote started to follow hikers on the trail that morning.

However, people do feed red foxes. Not much danger from them. From what I hear, that is one reason why some red foxes up in Algonquin Park are so tame. People feed them. People feed deer too. But of course do NOT feed wild black bears or you will have a problem on your hands. So, it really depends on the behaviour of the species.
Do not feed black bears or you'll have problems on your hands ?!
Usually it'd the animal who ends up with a "problem" like death or relocation.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:37 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
jeff Parker wrote:If you really step back and look at it, all of Bosque del Apache is baiting.  Corn is planted for the birds and ponds are flooded for the birds.  Neither situation is natural.  Same for winter feeding on the National Elk Refuge. What about hummingbird feeders?  This is all baiting.

There are many issues I don't agree with but I can usually at least see where the other side is coming from.  The uproar over baiting completely puzzles me.
Bosque del Apache was created to help waterfowl during migration. National Elk Refuge was created to help elk during winter.
No baiting, feeding.
You could argue in case of National Elk Refuge since now they sell hunting licenses there.
Bosque also allows hunting as a priority use:

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/bosque_del_ap ... /hunt.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Andrew Kandel on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:54 pm
Andrew Kandel
Forum Contributor
It's not a popular viewpoint, but for me sending a mouse to its death for the purposes of taking a photo is antithetical to my love of nature photography. I'm not a vegan so I'm sure somebody could find hypocrisy in my statement, but it's my own personal code. Otherwise I don't have a problem with baiting whether it be bird seed or audio (used in moderation).
[url=http://www.andrewkandel.com/]Website[/url] - [url=http://wherebuffaloroam.wordpress.com/]Blog[/url] - [url=https://plus.google.com/112207995176022333771/posts]Google+[/url]

by jeff Parker on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:23 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:

No baiting, feeding.

I'm trying to understand.  So if you feed the animals to help them it's OK.  But if you take their picture while you feed them it's bad.  Is that the correct position?

What about seed feeders and hummingbird feeders that are just for the joy of watching the animals.  Baiting or feeding?  Help me out here.

by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I personally would not try and feed potentially dangerous animals such as coyotes which can then become a nuisance leading to their demise. I saw this first hand on the Cabot Trail where a moose hunting guide was throwing pieces of a sandwich to a coyote. Next morning I see the trail where the coyote was fed closed and the warden looking for it. Apparently, the coyote started to follow hikers on the trail that morning.

However, people do feed red foxes. Not much danger from them. From what I hear, that is one reason why some red foxes up in Algonquin Park are so tame. People feed them. People feed deer too. But of course do NOT feed wild black bears or you will have a problem on your hands. So, it really depends on the behaviour of the species.
Do not feed black bears or you'll have problems on your hands ?!
Usually it'd the animal who ends up with a "problem" like death or relocation.

Problem includes the animal's demise.  Like in the coyote's case, the warden actually tried to hunt it down and kill it.  They did fire a shot but missed.  They did not find a carcass or any ravens or such birds circling above which would be a sign a dead animal is present.  The warden was hoping the coyote would be gun-shy.  I never followed up with them after that.

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:54 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Bosque also allows hunting as a priority use:

Joe
I'm wondering if this was always the case or rather recent addition.

Last edited by Andrew_5488 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:58 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Andrew Kandel wrote:It's not a popular viewpoint, but for me sending a mouse to its death for the purposes of taking a photo is antithetical to my love of nature photography.  I'm not a vegan so I'm sure somebody could find hypocrisy in my statement, but it's my own personal code.  Otherwise I don't have a problem with baiting whether it be bird seed or audio (used in moderation).
There's a lot of material about audio being used especially during spring season when it's most effective.
You shouldn't do it. It's putting a lot of stress on birds.

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:12 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
jeff Parker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:

No baiting, feeding.

I'm trying to understand.  So if you feed the animals to help them it's OK.  But if you take their picture while you feed them it's bad.  Is that the correct position?

What about seed feeders and hummingbird feeders that are just for the joy of watching the animals.  Baiting or feeding?  Help me out here.
When you feed birds during winter you supposed to put up seeds every day until winter is over or some snow is gone.You don't put up seeds one day and that's it.In Jackson Hole winter usually last 6 months. I believe Elk Refuge was established because lost terrain due to human expansion. Elk can't migrate that much anymore.
Hummingbird feeders-defenitely baiting. And I don't know if sugary water is the same as flower's nectar. I'd assume it's not.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:28 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:Bosque also allows hunting as a priority use:

Joe
I'm wondering if this was always the case or rather recent addition.
I hadn't been back on this thread for a while and just noticed your query. I've been going to Bosque since the '70s and don't recall a time when hunting was not allowed. Hunting for Snow Geese has always been very limited and on a drawing basis. Other species, e.g quail and deer, can be hunted in the areas away from the main part of the refuge. The turkey hunting is something new, I believe. There are plenty of turkeys in the northern portion of the refuge where visitors are generally not allowed to go. I've seen flocks of about 200, mostly tom, turkeys in those areas. If I'm correct, turkey hunting is for youth only.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mark Picard on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:51 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Andrew Kandel wrote:It's not a popular viewpoint, but for me sending a mouse to its death for the purposes of taking a photo is antithetical to my love of nature photography.  I'm not a vegan so I'm sure somebody could find hypocrisy in my statement, but it's my own personal code.  Otherwise I don't have a problem with baiting whether it be bird seed or audio (used in moderation).
+1  My feelings exactly!
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by OntPhoto on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
There's a lot of material about audio being used especially during spring season when it's most effective.
You shouldn't do it. It's putting a lot of stress on birds.

You should read David Sibley's article on using bird calls.  Mind you he had birders in mind when he wrote that and not the way many photographers use bird calls.  I am only giving some context (mine) to the intent (can't speak for Sibley) of the article. 

While a baited photo of an owl in flight is still nice to see and photograph, I am only speaking for myself here, I pretty much don't blink an eye when I see one nowadays.  Only because I know how it is done and how easy it is to do ;-)  Literally with little effort.  And I said this 8 years ago too. At least I am honest about it.

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:Apparently 38% thinks it's OK.And I thought that only we americans are stupid.

Apparently this poll had been closed for some time and the results published in Canadian Geographic magazine.  The final results were against baiting.  This explains why the poll linked here is no longer checking to see how many times someone is participating. 

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Here is an interesting thread on the subject.

http://www.rudypohl.com/2015/02/owl-baiting-is-it-really-wildlife-photography-ottawa/

One from the local birding club.  Scroll down to snowy owl workshops.  Someone found a snowy owl workshop ad in Kjiji and that's what started this one.  I read it with an open mind.  Every winter it comes up. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379992938552/

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:25 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
OntPhoto wrote:Here is an interesting thread on the subject.

http://www.rudypohl.com/2015/02/owl-baiting-is-it-really-wildlife-photography-ottawa/

One from the local birding club.  Scroll down to snowy owl workshops.  Someone found a snowy owl workshop ad in Kjiji and that's what started this one.  I read it with an open mind.  Every winter it comes up. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379992938552/

Still trolling?

by Royce Howland on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:27 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Shut it down now, Scott. If you don't like this topic, avoid it. I won't say it again.
Royce Howland

by OntPhoto on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Lol. :-). Riled alright :-). Childish. This reminds me of the old DPReview days when you woukd have this sort of nonsense all the time. Feels like home :-). Of course they now have moderators that cut off nonsense like this. I guess the free for alls have migrated over to here. We learned one thing. If you don't like a topic just bully your way thru it and get it shut down. That is bow some people handke lifes problems I suppose :-)

47 posts |