Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I just posted this Anna's hummer image:  http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 3&t=228930   and the colors are nothing like they are here on my calibrated system. This has never happened to me before when I have posted images here. it is looking like I am viewing on a non color managed browser like IE, but I am using Firefox. It looks really over-saturated when viewed at NSN compared to how it was processed. Is there something going on with the uploading to NSN that might be causing this?

by Greg Downing on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Tim - you've been posting images since we announced the new system and nothing with the image display has changed since then - when you click the image to view full sized you are looking at the original uploaded image as long as your screen can support the full-sized image - the colors look consistant to me on both the pop up original and the scaled down version. There is nothing on the NSN system what would change the colors of the image as far as I know and this is the very first mention of anything like that happening with probably 1000 images posted since the upgrade.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
This is the first time I have noticed this, but it is the reduced version that is over-saturated and off color a bit. Sorry, I hadn't clicked to look at the full size version, but should have done that first. When I do look at the full size version the colors and saturation are correct. There must be something about this particular image that makes it appear that way in the reduced version. Could you try it yourself and let me know if it appears that way for you as well?

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
After reading Josh's response at my hummer post, I followed that link to set Firefox for color management, and now the reduced version looks fine. I know I had done that process in the past, but I guess at some point of an upgraded version of Firefox, it lost the setting. So all is good now.

Thanks Greg :oops:

by Greg Downing on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:08 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
They both appear the same color to me - do you have a profile embedded into the image and is your browser profile aware?
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Greg Downing on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
We were posting at the same time - thanks for the update and I'm just glad that it's resolved - I guess we need to make a recommendation about that setting somewhere! Thanks again! :)
Greg Downing

by Royce Howland on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:58 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Greg, I checked into Tim's case. It appears to me that NSN is stripping the tagged color space from the version of the image that's initially shown within Tim's post. When you click and see the original image in the pop-up display, that version of the image has the color space tag preserved.

Because of this behavior, almost by definition nearly everybody is now going to see Tim's initial forum image rendered incorrectly. Of course if visitors are using narrow gamut displays they may not notice the difference, but on wide gamut displays the difference will be quite visible. The only way this isn't a problem is if the viewer is running Firefox and has manually gone in to override the default config so that FF will treat untagged images as sRGB. People running Chrome or Safari, even though those are more or less color managed browsers as well, will not see the correct rendering of the forum image because Chrome & Safari don't have this behavior of treating untagged images as sRGB. They'll have to hit the pop-up to see correct color.

There's something specific about Tim's case here that caused this. I don't know the in's & out's of the new forum image hosting system, but from spot-checking a bunch of cases in Birds just now, I believe this situation is triggered when someone uploads a larger file and a smaller one is generated for the forum post embed. The larger file has its color space tag intact, the smaller one gets stripped. In all cases I checked where the forum embed and pop-up image were the same size, it looks like it's the identical image file being served in both cases, and therefore the color space tag is intact. (Except in one case where I found the poster had uploaded the image with no color space, so it's not going to display correctly.)

Here's another example post. Look at it in Chrome on a wide gamut display and you'll see that the forum embed image reds (in particular) are radically over-saturated, but the larger pop-up image is fine. Check the image files and it's clearly because the embedded image's color space is stripped and the large file's tag is there. Same as Tim's situation.
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 3&t=228772

I don't think this is behavior we want from the NSN back-end, especially as people begin to upload more larger images now that this is enabled by the software... :)
Royce Howland

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Greg, you have an incredible team here at NSN!! Royce you nailed it. It may be a problem where people only view the smaller image and comment based on it.

by Greg Downing on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Royce and Tim - thanks for the replies. It was my understanding that we maintained color profiles now for all images as I had this issue in beta and we fixed it satisfactorily. I will check with the team and see what we can find out and get it fixed once and for all :)
Greg Downing

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Greg, is it possible that it only happens for the images that are not directly uploaded to your server. I know you upload all of them now, but initially my images are linked to my server. Just a thought?

by Greg Downing on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Tim,

We have discovered the issue and are working to fix it - should have something today or tomorrow at the latest in place. Turns out that the library was not ported over from the beta site to the correct directory and we lost the profiles - you're just the first to notice it on the live site. So it will be fixed shortly!

Update - it should be working now....
Greg Downing

11 posts |