All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by jsmith on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 pm
jsmith
Forum Contributor
Hello,

I recently came across several old portraits of my grandparents, and I would like to make duplicates for the entire family. The only problem is, these are old color prints that range from being made in 1948 to the late 1960s, and they have a old soft, powdered look to them. They seem to be printed on a semi gloss paper, but they just have an old look to them that is hard to describe.
I've tried scanning them and printing them on glossy, semi gloss, and matte paper on my printer, and the feel of the images just isn't the same.

Do you know of any good way to accurately reproduce these images, or at least a company that might specialize in doing this? I'm thinking that these prints were made using some old technique that isn't commonly done anymore.

I'm sorry that this post is kind of vague... it's difficult for me to describe how these prints look, other than that they have an old feeling to them.

Thank you very much!

Best,
John

by DMcLarty on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:14 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
Have you tried to take an image of them using a camera? This would give you a high resolution RAW file in which you could change the wb and other settings in PS. use a tripod, daylight or a flash adjusting the intensity as required and a good background larger than the actual print.

often old pictures like this look better in grey tones or black and white to give them the reality of the age they are.

I use this process to take images of my daughters art work for card reproduction and it works pretty well.

d
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

2 posts |