« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by bias_hjorth on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:13 pm
bias_hjorth
Forum Contributor
According to representive from Canon Denmark the troublesome autofocus in the Mark III is nothing more than a rumour. At a Canon pressconference today about the new Mark IV the representive said that she would like to put the rumour about the autofocus to rest once and for all.
Out of more than 23000 units sold 2300 were sent to Canon for focus fix (rougly 10%). Although the representive acknowledges the number of units sent to Canon is too high its still a very small number.

With all due respect what the hell.. :lol:
How an odd thing to starting claiming at a press conference about another completely other camera.

Edit : Spelling etc.
Feel free to visit http://www.tobiashjorth.com or join me on Facebook add me on Twitter

Last edited by bias_hjorth on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I guess all of the firmware upgrades and the two hardware upgrades to fix AF issues were all just a rumor too :lol:

by Chas on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:23 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Have her call me.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by fredcor on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:30 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Appears that some Canon employees are duped enough to believe there was no issue. But, those that switched to Nikon must have had problems.

Those coloured dots on MkIII's were Christmas decorations? The whole process was so incredibly out of control they had to use coloured dots, for gods sake! Why do cameras have serial numbers; doh.

It is this type of ignorance that will send a few thousand more defective models to market and guess what! There will be thousands that buy them and complain later.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Royce Howland on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:08 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
There are many comments I could make on this topic, but none of them are constructive. So I'll just go back to reading all the glowing market launch materials about the new 1D Mk IV. :)
Royce Howland

by John E. Marriott on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:26 pm
John E. Marriott
Forum Contributor
No kidding, eh, Royce. I'll skip commenting any further, too. Let's just say I am not lining up to buy the 1D IV until it's been well tested and proven.
John E. Marriott - Outdoor Photography Canada columnist
Canadian Wildlife and Nature Photography
http://www.wildernessprints.com
http://www.canwildphototours.com -- Over 60 Tours in Canada since 2010

by ejmartin on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:32 pm
ejmartin
Forum Contributor
It would serve them right if initial sales were in the toilet. I'll be curious to see how many will line up to be Canon's beta testers this time around.
emil

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
ejmartin wrote:It would serve them right if initial sales were in the toilet. I'll be curious to see how many will line up to be Canon's beta testers this time around.
From what I'm reading around the Internet, there will be plenty in line for the camera from day 1.

by Dan Wolin on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:42 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
A friend of mine who swore he would not early adopt, is - he is going to be my beta tester:) 10% sounds low to me.
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:13 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
ejmartin wrote:It would serve them right if initial sales were in the toilet. I'll be curious to see how many will line up to be Canon's beta testers this time around.
From what I'm reading around the Internet, there will be plenty in line for the camera from day 1.
It seems like it is always that way, and God help the first person who reports a problem! :D
I keep thinking this upgrade is a bit "ho-hum" despite the marketing hype and obvious upgrades. I guess it is the AF uncertainty created by the mark3(no matter what side of the fence you are on). If there are reviews to follow this announcement to independently verify the AF system, then I think that would change things.
I think Canon really needs to put the mark3 behind it, and putting a solid AF offering in the hands of professional's is the only way to do it.
I still think Nikon's D3 release strategy is the gold standard, put it in the hands of pro's and let them shoot, post and talk.

by DOglesby on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:25 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
I would think that if they just announced they are reverting back to the old 1D Mark IIn AF system there would be a lot more people lining up to buy it.
Cheers,
Doug

by bias_hjorth on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:44 pm
bias_hjorth
Forum Contributor
I might remember it wrong but did´nt all mark III receive a hardware change related to the focus even from the factory?
Feel free to visit http://www.tobiashjorth.com or join me on Facebook add me on Twitter

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bias_hjorth wrote:I might remember it wrong but did´nt all mark III receive a hardware change related to the focus even from the factory?
Nope your memory isn't wrong, there were actually two factory fixes for some bodies and several firmware updates specifically for AF.

by Dick Ginkowski on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:22 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I guess all of the firmware upgrades and the two hardware upgrades to fix AF issues were all just a rumor too :lol:
I'm stunned at your restraint.
Dick Ginkowski
[url]http://www.pbase.com/dickg/[/url]

by Cliff Beittel on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:35 pm
Cliff Beittel
Forum Contributor
One of the fixes, at least for the 1Ds mark III, was for the inability to accurately autofocus static subjects using any focus point other than the center one. This was a problem I had noticed before the announcement, though I kept thinking it was me (maybe I'm not as steady as I used to be, maybe I was slightly inside the minimum focus distance, maybe there wasn't quite enough light, etc., etc.). Thanks a lot for the "rumor," Canon.
[b]Cliff Beittel[/b]
[url]http://www.agpix.com/cliffbeittel[/url]

15 posts |