For KK Hui

Posted by Arthur Morris on Wed May 05, 2004 2:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
AF accuracy with the Mark II is surreal. Even, as here, with AFPS, all 45 points activated... This camera will revolutionize flight and action photography... Combined with my old "toy lens" the Mark II is deadly for handheld flight photography. NSN members are welcome to see my initial comments and more flight images in BAA Bulletin 135 here:

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn135.htm

I shall post further comments with lots of flight images tonight in BAA Bulletin 136.

Black Skimmer in flight. EOS 1D Mark II with 400mm f/5.6 L lens. ISO 250. Exposure set manually: 1/1600 (Thanks Greg) sec. at f/5.6.

All comments welcome. Best and love to all, Artie
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

Last edited by Arthur Morris on Wed May 05, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member

by Greg Downing on Wed May 05, 2004 2:30 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I can't remember the last time I shot at 1/600th ;) Seriously I agree and am excited to go "flight shooting" as soon as I can get myself to some subjects.

This is a nice shot! Am looking forward to De Soto in June. Wanna join me for a day or two?
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by fredcor on Wed May 05, 2004 2:58 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Hi Arthur,

Looks like the shot was taken in bright sunlight. Your exposure is 1 2/3 to 2 stops more light than sunny 16. Am I correct in that deduction? For this shot I would have set to 1/600 @ f11 for direct sunlight on the whites. Even though I've read you book (exposure part, last night) and your explanations for exposure; somehow your image above doesn't make exposure sense in regard to the settings you've chosen. Enlighten me please :wink:

Thanks,
Frederick Lat Correa

by Arthur Morris on Wed May 05, 2004 3:10 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
Sorry for the typo--1/600 should have been 1/1600. Exposure was simply set 1/3 stop lighter than what the histogram was showing as perfect for the Royal Terns... Best, Artie

ps to Greg: I'd love to join in FLA in June you but I will be stuck in Alaska for the entire month--Katmai for baby bears and eagle chicks, Nome, and Barrow at least...
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

by Alan Murphy on Wed May 05, 2004 4:17 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Artie, great flight shot.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Jim Urbach on Wed May 05, 2004 5:39 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Art,

Excellent flight image. I noticed these guys starting to make shallow depressions in the sand at North Beach, but I'vd never seen them nest seriously here before.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Jim Zipp on Wed May 05, 2004 5:47 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Arthur Morris wrote: I'd love to join in FLA in June you but I will be stuck in Alaska for the entire month--Katmai for baby bears and eagle chicks, Nome, and Barrow at least...
Boy.... that sucks :lol:

I'm looking forward to some good flight shooting with this camera myself!!
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by KK Hui on Wed May 05, 2004 6:05 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Thank you Artie!

A impressive shot and the skimmer's head is sharp. Look forward to seeing more flight shots taken with your 1D2 ...

When you use the 45 AF points to track bird inflight over a patterned/contrasty BG, do you loose focus from time to time as in the case of 1v or 1D for that matter? This is the downside that I really hope Canon has addressed and resolved in its new Mk II. :roll:
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Arthur Morris on Wed May 05, 2004 6:30 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
Hi KK, It seems that I had better luck with 45 point against backgrounds other than sky than Greg did... I did lose focus occasionally with AFPS but to me performance as above seemed improved (as in the posted image). Best, Artie
ps: Though I often do not have time to post to your pix, I always enjoy seeing your shorebird flight images!
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

by Greg Downing on Wed May 05, 2004 7:26 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Artie, this is not really what I consider a difficult background to AF against. What I was referring to was trees and such coming in and out of the background (close to the birds). I still notice a significant difference!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by chriscove on Wed May 05, 2004 8:35 pm
chriscove
Forum Contributor
Outstanding work. That Mark II is really going to break my bank. At least it looks like the 1Ds so maybe my wife wont notice till she sees the credit card bill!
Christopher Cove
Rochester,NY
www.covenaturephotography.com

by Mike Wilson on Thu May 06, 2004 1:56 am
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
I like the comp on this and the open bill and sparkling eye. 8)
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by AForns on Thu May 06, 2004 7:53 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Sweet image Artie.... can just imagine what you will be able to do with the MK11 looking forward!!!!!!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by AlexC on Thu May 06, 2004 9:32 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Art, very nice, that 1DII is going to be a Dussy !!!!!
Congrats!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

14 posts |