Motif: Adult Common Loon with Chick

Posted by ebkw on Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
This was the first time in the water for this chick. The adult dipped its bill into the water and offered it to the chick. I haven't found any reference to this behaviour in anything I have read about loons. I have seen them offer tiny bits of vegetation while still on the nest too. Haven't found anything on that behaviour either.

EOS A2, 100-400 IS @400, SensiaII l00, hand held from open kayak. Cropped about 50%.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

Posted by:
ebkw
Forum Contributor

by Larsen on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:00 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Beautiful creatures, those loons. Nice intimate shot, nice colors, even though the chick is a tad soft, it still works. You've got to respect the loyalty this mother had to her chick - you couldn't have been more than 8 feet away & she couldn't have been too pleased about you being so close, and she stayed with her chick. Admirable bird!
_

by george forrest on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:32 am
george forrest
Forum Contributor
Member #:00260
Hi Eleanor, I think the idea here is great, but there are a couple things here that I'd prefer to see differently. (Just my opinion).
For one thing, I'd prefer the small one to be a bit closer to the adult, but more importantly not have the adult's beak overlapping the little one's head.
The other thing is the bit of softness I see in the adult. (Tough shooting from kayak, plus hand holding.)
Lastly, I'd prefer to see all of the adult's head.
Again, only my opinion.
gforrest.imageculture.com

An inexperienced photographer TAKES a lot of bad PICTURES.
An experienced photographer MAKES a lot of bad IMAGES.
George Forrest 8-2005

by ebkw on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:48 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your comments! :) I was about 20-30 feet away and she wasn't bothered at all. I had been with them for a couple of hours at this point. This is height of mosquito and black fly season too :? :roll:

The chick is actually dead sharp on the slide but the adult isn't. I do have the whole head but was trying to direct more attention on the chick with my crop. As I was probably shooting at f5.6 with 100 ISO I couldn't have both adult head and chick in focus. I wasn't using flash very well then.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Rich S on Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:16 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Very nice interaction. Do wish that there wasn't a bit of overlap, especially with the focus on the chick, but love the intimacy.

For anyone questioning the comfort level of the mother loon, I've spent a lot of time with them and would note that if there was any concern the mother would be cajoling the little one away from the threat so we would only see the back of the body with perhaps the head of the parent looking back. Many loons become very tolerant of someone in a kayak that remains still and doesn't pose a threat. Eleanor, I hope you have the opportunity to go back and visit again. Typically, the more time spent over days, the more comfortable they get in your presence. (I've had both parents leave a two week old chick next to my kayak while they fish, but when an unfamiliar kayak comes by they'll lead the chick away in a flash.)

Rich

by Jill on Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:52 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
A mighty sweet scene of the interaction, Eleanor!!! Also thanks to you and Rich for all the fascinating information!! :D :D
Jill Rosenfield

by Tim Grams on Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:47 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Neat shot! :wink:
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Carol Clarke on Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:12 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
The nits have been covered Eleanor, but the catch of this sweet interaction between mother and chick outweighs the nits for me! Nice one! 8) 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by fredcor on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:08 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Terrific. Ive never seen close interaction like this. Great job :!:
Frederick Lat Correa

by Juli Wilcox on Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:14 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
I like this photo and think it is very intriguing and shows an unusual perspective. I think it tells a story with the little one casting a glance up at the very large parent, a kind of bug's-eye view that includes us and shows the difference in size in the formidable beaks. 8) Slight CW rotation might help the feeling that it's tilted and I might try some selective sharpening on the face of the baby.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

10 posts |