Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Dusty Dog on Wed May 21, 2008 6:21 pm
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
As I posted in my Bird Forum post, http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... 3&t=131403, the 750 pixel image size is kind of problematic. 800 wide is what smugmug automatically resizes images to for viewing. If I go smaller, then I get only 600 across, which is, in my opinion, too small. Larger gives me 1024 pixels across, which is too large, and obviously unacceptable to you. What I'm saying is that it's impossible to adhere to the 750 pixel maximum that you'd like to see on this site, unless I resize and post an image specifically for this site, which I'd rather not do. I'd rather not go through the double posting of the same image on my site if I don't have to. And, if I post an image smaller than 800 pixels, then I lose the auto watermarking capability of smugmug. Why did you pick 750 pixels, and what do other people do?

TIA for your replies.
Diane
D3s and a bunch of lenses, legs, lights, and a bag

by Royce Howland on Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
We have set the maximum size at 750 pixels because a substantial percentage of NSN visitors (> 30%) are using monitors with a max vertical resolution of 800 pixels or less. Fully 20% use 1024x768 or less; I imagine many of these are laptops. Allowing images up to 800 pixels would mean these folks could not view portrait format images without scrolling the browser window. And since we permit pano format images to be larger, horizontal scrolling might be necessary for them; certainly vertical scrolling already is. So we have put the limit where it is out of deference to 1/3 of our membership.

You're right that in your case this would force you to create a custom version of your image sized for our guidelines, but we do ask everyone to adhere to the guidelines for the benefit of all our visitors. If you don't wish to create a custom sized image, simply post a smaller version here... and perhaps add a hyperlink to a larger version hosted on another web site. Some people choose to do this to avoid created a custom sized version to post here. That way anybody who is interested can follow the link to see the bigger image, while those who don't wish to do that don't have to contend with larger files in our forums...
Royce Howland

by Dusty Dog on Wed May 21, 2008 10:46 pm
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Royce, for your reply. Honestly, I was thinking about the horizontal resolution than the vertical, so the 750 made no sense to me. And, I didn't think about posting a link to follow. It's all clear now.
Diane
D3s and a bunch of lenses, legs, lights, and a bag

3 posts |