All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by mwagner1 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:21 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
Afternoon all...more questions..:oops:

I was in a CompUSA last night looking at external HDDs, laptops, and assorted things.

When you (those who travel with a laptop when using a DSLR) use your laptop when traveling, is it just to store your images??

You see, if for some reason I am not able to use our company's soon-to-be-replaced laptops, I do not want to spend a fortune on a new one.

I was looking at laptops from Sony (Vaio), Compaq, and HP. Costs ranged from $1,199 to over $2,999. And, none of them had USB 2.0 available. I know that some of the new Dells can come with USB 2.0.

So, when considering a laptop for use in digital photography, is processor speed, RAM, not important (I know HDD space IS important)???? Is a larger screen important???? Or does that not matter at all since all I would be doing is transferring images to the laptop???

Once again, thanks for the advice!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As with anything, it depends :) If you are just using it as a storage device, you probably don't need a laptop at all and can go with something like a Delkin PicturePad but if you want to look at your images and do any photo editing at all then you will need a fairly capable machine with at least 512MB of RAM and preferrably more and at least a 30GB HD and preferrably more. Procesor speed is dependent on your patience but a 1.8GHz Pentium 4 class or a 1.4GHz Centrino system is a decent entry point (Note that the processor used in a Centrino system is more efficient so a 1.4 is approximately equalt in performance as a P4 at 1.8GHz). Also if you are going to do any real image editing, getting a good screen is also important - something like the Dell Ultrasharp.

by Bob Ettinger on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:07 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Mark,

E.J. hit all the points. As for Firewire vs USB2.0 you can always add these via PCMCIA cards and work fine. I am using one in an old Dell and it really hauls.
Bob Ettinger

by mwagner1 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:11 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
LOL....

**E.J. THROWS a wrench into the pot!!!**

Well, I think that you actually may have answered my question....if a Delkin PicturePad(s) will hold enough images, then maybe I will forget the laptop.

Based on the overall responses I have received regarding CRT vs. LCD monitors, I was not planning on doing any image editing on a potential laptop. I was planning on doing that when I got to my desktop back home...unless there is great pleasure taken in editing images back in the hotel room.

Would one or two Delkin devices safely take the place of a laptop and thus fit nicely in a photo backpack??

Thanks!!!!

Mark in Austin

by James B. Doss on Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:33 pm
James B. Doss
Forum Contributor
I was looking at laptops from Sony (Vaio), Compaq, and HP. Costs ranged from $1,199 to over $2,999. And, none of them had USB 2.0 available. I know that some of the new Dells can come with USB 2.0.
FYI, my Vaio has USB 2.0, firewire, and a DVD + - R/RW, so keep looking!

Model PCG-GRT 170.

Jim
Jim Doss
[b]NSN 0122[/b]
Tecate, Baja, Mexico

[url]http://www.w9jim.com[/url]

by mwagner1 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:49 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
James B. Doss wrote:FYI, my Vaio has USB 2.0, firewire, and a DVD + - R/RW, so keep looking!

Model PCG-GRT 170
Thanks Jim....

The CompUSA I went to has gone pretty much to the dogs.. :(

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by Mark on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:11 pm
Mark
Forum Contributor
I just got a Dell 8500 myself, with the wide Ultrasharp screen. What a beautiful display! I haven't quite figured out all ins and outs of getting this thing calibrated, but images look very nice.

I figure this, the 60GB drive, USB 2.0, wireless card - all are getting me prepared for that shiny new D2h!
Mark

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:01 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Mark:

The Dell website has a separate section for refurbished computers. I bought my laptop there for a considerable savings. I added a USB2.0 card later. My refurb has been super reliable.

I was at Compusa recently and saw some of the Sony laptops--they look really nice. Once caution--an extra battery for the Sony I looked at was something like $250. The extra battery for my Dell was around $120 as I recall.
Rocky Sharwell

by mwagner1 on Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:46 am
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
Rocky Sharwell wrote:Mark:

The Dell website has a separate section for refurbished computers. I bought my laptop there for a considerable savings. I added a USB2.0 card later. My refurb has been super reliable.
Thanks Rocky

What I miss most about Dell is that they closed their refurbished show room that was here in Austin.

I will check out the Dell site again to see what I can find.

Thanks!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by abiggs on Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:49 pm
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
I choose to do both a digital wallet type of device *and* a subnotebook. That way if one fails or gets stolen, I should be okay. I have a Tripper with a 40GB hard drive in it, as well as extra batteries for it. And then I take either a Sony SRX99 notebook or a larger notebook, depending on how much weight I am already taking with me. I am very partial to my Sony, to tell you the truth. If economizing, I would look into a used Compaq M300 with the extra capacity battery. Those laptops were great when they were new, but unfortunately, Compaq laptops have gone downhill in the past year or two.
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by Rocky Sharwell on Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:18 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Mark:

One other thing to keep in mind is that Dell (and other vendors) tend to be expensive for RAM. I bought a machine with minimal memory--and put a gigabyte of memory into mine courtesy of memory4less.com. In contrast to some desktop machines, adding memory to my Inspiron 8100 was really easy!
Rocky Sharwell

by abiggs on Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:38 pm
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
And here is a bit more info, as well. Whatever you choose, if you get a laptop, get a sharp screen. I know it is difficult to see some of these laptops in person, but Dell has their Ultrasharp(tm) display. Very very nice. Highly recommended.
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by Matthew Whitley on Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:31 pm
Matthew Whitley
Forum Contributor
Just to chime in... I actually use a Dell laptop as my only machine (gasp, boo hiss the crowd says). I use it to edit all my stuff! The Ultrasharp is really very good, but does lose a mild amount of detail in the very brightest whites. I use PS's info tool to really get objective data during the editing process. Colorwise it is dead on and I have really never needed an external monitor (which is good because I can't afford one!). Highly recommended!
M
[b] [color=GREEN][u]MATTHEW K.WHITLEY[/u][/color]
[/b][b]NSN 0071[/b]

by mwagner1 on Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:56 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
Rocky Sharwell wrote:Mark:
One other thing to keep in mind is that Dell (and other vendors) tend to be expensive for RAM. I bought a machine with minimal memory--and put a gigabyte of memory into mine courtesy of memory4less.com. In contrast to some desktop machines, adding memory to my Inspiron 8100 was really easy!
Hey Rocky...

That is my one hesitation about using Dell....everything that they did was very proprietary..way back when our company was using Dell desktops, we tried to do some upgrades through other vendors, and it was impossible...also, back then, Dell's RAM chips were also some bizarre arcane stuff that was difficult to add on to....worst of all, we have a closet full of old Dell desktops that are useless for reconfiguring...

Since then, we have had desktops custom built. It is sad that it is not possible to get custom built laptops...at least I have yet to find custom built laptops.

The bad thing (well, to me at least) in going in to places like CompUSA and buying a Sony, Compaq, HP, etc, is that those machines are loaded with junk. I do not want to spend hours uninstalling useless software on a laptop...all I want is Windows XP, PS7, and whatever workflow software I choose loaded.

So, the research goes on...whether to buy a laptop (likely a refurbished Dell), a sub notebook (like the expensive new Sony TR1A) or just use a few Delkin or Nixvue film pads....

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

14 posts |