All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by TSparger on Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:46 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I was shooting some cardinals in my backyard this afternoon and my 10D would not focus or do anything else. I was shooting with a 70-200 non IS in manual mode and the aperure in the display was showing up as 00 and it wouldn't seem to focus (autofocus). I turned the camera off for a minute and when I turned it back on, everything seemed ok. Has anyone else had this problem?
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by MikeBinOK on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:08 pm
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
I have a Vivitar 100mm macro I use with my 10D sometimes. Several times I've had the "00" readings and failure to autofocus. It's always been when I didn't fully rotate the lens into the mounted and locked position--The Vivitar doesn't have a nice "click" into place like most of my lenses.

Since you didn't mess with trying to tighten down your lens before it started working, I'd suggest you might try cleaning the contacts and see if that helps. I suspect that dirty contacts might cause a similar problem.
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

by Langsey on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:13 pm
Langsey
Forum Contributor
Todd,

I had that happened to me once with my 10D. I said I'll have to send this in to Canon, but it was only that the lenses wasn't fully connected to the camera so the the contacts wasn't lined up properly. That may be the case and another simple cause is maybe your connections may need cleaning. I hope that helps.

John
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

by TSparger on Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:09 am
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
Thanks guys. I hope that's all it was. It actually started happening when I rotated the camera to vertical with the 70-200 lens collar. I also had a 2x attached to it so I'm sure somewhere in all those connections I wasn't tight.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This error means that connection between lens and camera has not been established. It may just be that the lens wasn't fully mounted. Also check the screws on the lens mount on both your camera and lens to make sure they aren't loose. Finally, use an eraser to clean the contacts on lens and camera. You will also get this error if a drop of rain or sweat fall on the lens contacts, Simply cleaning them takes care of that.

by Paul Klenck on Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:10 am
Paul Klenck
Forum Contributor
Member #:00221
Yep, happened to me this week, too. Turned on and off a couple times and AF was back. Thanks for telling me why E.J. Know better next time.
Paul Klenck

Twitter: [url]http://twitter.com/PaulKlenck[/url]

by Greg Downing on Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:37 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
If this happens regularly with an IS lens (I know yours it not) it could mean the IS unit is going bad. I have had two lenses give me the "00" aperture whenever IS was engaged. Both lenses have now had new IS units installed in them and perform flawlessly.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

7 posts |