Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Wayne Ellis on Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:01 am
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
Thought you would all have a laugh at this.

This morning I purchased a new pair of waders and headed to Pummice stone Passage and the wader roost. Kitting up I headed off crossing the mudflats (without a camera) with a little difficulty. I played around in the muddy conditions for awhile to get a feel for working in them.

I packed up and moved to another site and on the way spotted some wading birds not far from sure, kitted up again this time with the camera, tripod and the trusty 200-500mm. The conditions were a little soft and in front of me was a set of human footprints so i said to self " self that seems the way to go" One step and i was waist deep in mud and stuck fast. I freed one leg and just about had the other starting to move and cramped. All I could do is straighten my leg forcing it deeper into the mud. All I could do was stand there and wait. Fortunately the man living across the road saw me and arrived with an old ironing board and some ply. I was able to pass the camera to him and using the board extract myself.

The upside is the gentleman and his wife are keen bird watchers and offered me a lot of great local knowledge.

With my camera there was no way I would have been able to get out.
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

by Wil Hershberger on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:02 am
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
WOW, :shock: glad that someone saw you. You could have been stuck for some time. I darn near did the same thing years ago trying to get sound recordings of peeps. Very scary!
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I know it probably didn't seem funny at the time but I am sitting here laughing thinking about a person with just the upper body flopping around while he is stuck in the mud. while in Alaska I did get stuck once and had to force myself out using the tripod as leverage.

by Bill Whala on Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:36 am
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:...while in Alaska I did get stuck once and had to force myself out using the tripod as leverage.
Was there a loud POP when you came loose? :lol: :lol:
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by DMcLarty on Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:45 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
Thought you would all have a laugh at this
And I am believe me Wayne. This is the pick me up a guy needs on a Monday. :D

As a fellow wader I know the sinking feeling. Maybe that's why i always have the wife tag along she stays on shore taking the goofy pictures of me in the swamp.
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by Jim Zipp on Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:52 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
"Dorf on Photography!"
That's all I could think of. For anyone not familiar with Dorf, it would be hard to explain other than it was Tim Conway.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by rbirtles on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:26 pm
rbirtles
Forum Contributor
Hi there Wayne,

Is the Pummicestone Passage you are referring to the same one as named on the Sunshine Coast around Caloundra, Australia?

Cheers,
Rob.

PS - maybe we talked about you location in the past on another similar website :lol:

by Paul Skoczylas on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:34 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
I don't know if it's true or just an urban legend, but I heard about someone who died when they got stuck in the mud on a tidal flat (I think in Alaska) and was unable to free themself before the tide came in...

-Paul

by Wayne Ellis on Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:29 pm
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
I went back to "the spot" to day. darn the tide was high, m8t I would have been in serious trouble if not for Fred and his ironing board :roll:

Pummicestone Passage runs between Bribie Island the the mainland. Caloundra is at the top end of the passage. it is a haven for water birds, migrating waders and dugong.

Wayne Ellis

by Chas on Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:08 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Paul Skoczylas wrote:I don't know if it's true or just an urban legend, but I heard about someone who died when they got stuck in the mud on a tidal flat (I think in Alaska) and was unable to free themself before the tide came in...

-Paul
This is a true story. She went under with the whole family and many onlookers watching. This is no joke!! Do not attempt to go into unknown waters without another person nearby, especially tidal waters. It is best to check with the locals or others in the vicinity before trying this for yourself. I have seen it many happen times, and thank goodness there was always someone to help pull out the victim.

Thanks for sharing, lesson learned!

Best, and glad you made it out ok.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Chuck F on Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:09 pm
Chuck F
Forum Contributor
. Caloundra is at the top end of the passage. it is a haven for water birds, migrating waders and dugong.[/quote]

I got to ask what is a (dugong) Sounds like something you don't step in while walking across the local cow pastures. Don't laugh I've set in the middle of a pile in the heat of chasing a bird with a camera. :oops: :oops:
Chuck Fain
S.W. Ga.
NSN 0126

by Bruce Sherman on Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:31 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Great story, Wayne. When I lived in North Carolina I saw something very similar. There were several small ponds on the golf course I played. The maintenance crew had drained one of the ponds in order to repair the dam. The bottom of the empty pond was almost covered with golf balls. An acquaintance of mine could not resist. He saw a lifetime supply of golf balls waiting for the taking. He got stuck waist-deep in the mud and spent several hours in that position before one of the maintenance workers found him and extracted him from his precarious position.

by Wayne Ellis on Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:45 am
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
Hi Chuck,

For all my American friends dugong = Manatee.

Wayne Ellis

13 posts |