Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by swampduck on Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:25 am
swampduck
Forum Contributor
I just purchased a Sigma 500 4.5 and will be buying a new tripod/ballhead combo. After searching this and other forums, I have settled on the Gitzo 1325 and the Kirk BH1. I think that the Wimberly Sidekick should be more than sufficient for this lens and camera combo. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sigma 500 f4.5
Canon 1D or Canon D60
550 EX

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes the Sidekick will work well with that lens. Congrats on the new purchase.

by Juan A. Pons on Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:09 am
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028
Yup the sidekick will work very well with that lens. You will not regret getting the sidekick.

-J
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

by swampduck on Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:27 am
swampduck
Forum Contributor
thanks for the replies, I purchased the Sidekick from here and the Tripod and Ballhead from Kirk...now I need some willing subjects to test it out on. I am headed West in February to photograph some wolves and can't wait.

by deBult on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:20 pm
deBult
Forum Contributor
Use of the Wimberley shifter kit for Sidekick + 500 mm Sigma HSM is recommended.

Shifter type AP-900, cost is $50.00 (when memory serves me)

The shifter plate will move the Sidekick out to bring the lens over the center axis of the tripod.
deBult

by swampduck on Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:19 pm
swampduck
Forum Contributor
Where would I find this "shifter" you are talking about?

by swampduck on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:13 am
swampduck
Forum Contributor
Ok, got the Sigma 500 yesterday and because it was used there was no manual, so a few questions to anyone that has the lens or had it. Why is there two hoods? There is one that is attached and there is one that screws onto that? Secondly, is there a strap for the lens? One was in the bag, but it doesn't fit anywhere, and there is only one "hook" on the lens for a strap. I took a few test shots and so far it looks good, but stuff in my house isn't a good subject, need to get out this weekend and put it to the test.

by Greg Downing on Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:24 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
The Wimberley flash bracket for the sidekick can be found here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/retail/wimb ... ackets.htm

It's combo #6 (SC-060) for $152

As for the lens hoods I am not sure but assume it's to keep them compact. (?) Not sure about the strap either. It might be worth calling Sigma and asking a few questions and they may even be able to provide you with a manual (though I have never looked at any of my lens manuals. ;) ).

Good luck with the new purchase and thanks for the support by ordering the sidekick through us. :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by swampduck on Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:16 pm
swampduck
Forum Contributor
Greg, do you guys sell rain covers for cameras and lenses as well?

by Greg Downing on Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:41 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Sorry, we do not at this time. I'm also not sure what to recommend on that area but I just use a large trash bag.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by DMcLarty on Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:20 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
We have the lens (new)

two lens hoods?? not sure about this we received one hood bayonet hard style and the leather cap that goes over the end.

there was no real manual just a paper that goes through the settings etc. The settings are pretty well normal. The slide switch allows you to set it so the focus is limited to subject distance stops the lens from hunting.

The strap is attached to a sliding ring at the front and half way down the lens. It really isn't needed.

We also have the sidekick set up and use the long bracket P-50 it allows the lens to be adjusted well for balance as it is as long as the Lens bracket.
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by swampduck on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:13 pm
swampduck
Forum Contributor
Yeah, I have pretty much given up on the strap, the lens hood thing is just a curiosity for me, but there is one attched and one that screws on the front of that. The leather lens cap is something else entirely. Oh well, I will just go out and shoot with it, thanks for the replies.
Greg, I received the sidekick today and tried it with the lens and body. Good setup, easy to use.
For anyone that may be curious, the Kirk BH-3, isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the lens plus 1D and Sidekick. I just wanted to test it to be sure, but the Kirk BH-1 that I purchased was more than sufficient. Now if only my Gitzo would arrive. Back ordered to next week. :(

12 posts |