All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:25 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Am I correct in concluding that Firewire drives may be connected together, but USB2.0 may not be? I am going to order a new portable for Bosque and just want to get my fatcs straight...

Thanks

Rocky
Rocky Sharwell

by Anthony Medici on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:31 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I did exactly that in Cape May (connecting my two FW drives together to the computer) and I ended up losing everything on one of the drives. I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong and nothing that I didn't have duplicated at home got lost but now I need to experiment with it again to see what I did wrong so I don't repeat that in the future. :?
Tony

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:37 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Tony:

I vaguely recall seeing something on another website warning about connecting the FW drives together--but it did not say why. Sounds to me like I should abandon the idea.

Thanks
Rocky Sharwell

by Anthony Medici on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:52 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I think I didn't quite tell the operating system that I was disconnecting them. (Apple) Or maybe, I disconnected on and unplugged the other.

I'm not sure but it should be repeatable and I have some time to figure out what I did wrong. Otherwise, you are correct, the safest way is to only plug one in at a time and only do transfers between the main hard drive and the external, rather than between two externals.
Tony

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:04 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
FWIW
I have four hard drives all firewire chained together to my laptop. The system is a little quirky from time to time. The fourth in the chain will sometimes act up a little, although it is the back up drive.

I think you need to be very careful about a few things

1. Always turn all the drives on and off before the computer boots up and vice versa. Shut off computer, then drives.
2. try to keep the chain constant, sometimes when I boot up if one of the drives is off, it will try to reassign a letter or change the letter on the drive.
3. What Tony said, if you are going to remove the drive while the computer is up, you should turn it off with the device manager first.
4. Two of my drives routinely write in the background to the back up drive, so I am constantly (daily) writing from external to external drives.

I am admittedly a computer dope but the system works for me..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

5 posts |