All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I have both and I cannot make up my mind which one to keep. I shoot almost exclusively static Birds and Birds In Flight.
Your opinion is appreciated.
Karl.

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:48 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
If you need the extra reach, the R7 might be the one to keep. As for focus, the R5 seems to be more reliable, I haven't used the R7 but read several reports about focus inconsistency.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:03 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Thanks, Axel. I also lean towards keeping the R5 as it is full frame. Having better pixel coverage is also good with the R7 but my wife often complains about OOF images. I rarely use it.

by Axel Hildebrandt on Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:18 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
If your wife has issues with the AF then I would keep the R5, too. I'm not sure if Canon can fix it with a firmware update.
Axel Hildebrandt

by WJaekel on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:29 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I was seriously considering the R7 for my upoming trip to Tanzania, especially for photographing small sbirds - and BIF, given the 33MP MP crop sensor. I also have the R5  which has less than half the MP in 1.6 crop mode, though. However, I read a lot of tests but decided to skip the R7 in the end. The AF inconsisteny is very real and confirmed by many respected reviewers, i.e. Ian Wegener, Duade and others, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIbHENAY3ss

Moreover, shutter shock can reduce the sharpness in MS (and on the other hand, rolling shutter can be very evident in ES from what I've seen, at least). Additionally, the buffer is extremely limited  @30f/s though you can circumnavigate that to a certain degree by reducing the framerate to 15f/s and shooting cRAW. But it's still pretty limited by then.
For all those reasons,but primarily because of  the AF issues, I'll pass the R7 and would definetely vote for the R5 if I had to decide on one.
It's no question that the R7 brings a lot to the table at its price point, though. But even if the AF design is inherited from the R3, the sensor readout cannot keep up with it and the R7 generally is in a lower league, also compared to the R5 - as it's to be expected, of course.

Wolfgang
www.wjaekel-foto.de

by Jeff Pearl on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:23 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
Jan Wegener has this  R7 Sell or Keep video that looks like it might help you decide.

https://youtu.be/Z0erGS4dk-w

by KK Hui on Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:41 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
If you can get near to your subjects Full Frame is the way to go. I don't have the R5 so no comment on that.
I pick the R7 for its APS-C and relatively high pixel.
I shoot mostly BIF and land birds and have been happy with it.
At that price point you have not many choices except perhaps the new the SONY a6700.
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by WJaekel on Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:49 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
KK Hui wrote: If you can get near to your subjects Full Frame is the way to go. I don't have the R5 so no comment on that.
I pick the R7 for its APS-C and relatively high pixel.
I shoot mostly BIF and land birds and have been happy with it.
At that price point you have not many choices except perhaps the new the SONY a6700.
Interesting, so you haven't experienced any problems with AF inconsistency or rolling shutter when panning and/or shooting BIF ?
True, there are not many options for high-res MP APS-C at this price - and  33MP are tempting for small birds you cannot approach closer. That's why I've been struggling for a longer period to go for the R7.

Wolfgang
www.wjaekel-foto.de

by KK Hui on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:27 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
WJaekel wrote:Interesting, so you haven't experienced any problems with AF inconsistency or rolling shutter when panning and/or shooting BIF ?
I use ES almost all the time and never MS for BIF. Sure, there is strong rolling shutter effect due to slow sensor read-out of R7 but you get away with most if you pan BIF shots without tall buildings/ trees (but how often?) in the background. I don't notice any major AF inconsistency only perhaps occasionally but maybe due to operator error ...

See some of my recent work here at Flickr if you're interested :-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/169408738@N08/
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by WJaekel on Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:20 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
KK Hui wrote: I use ES almost all the time and never MS for BIF. Sure, there is strong rolling shutter effect due to slow sensor read-out of R7 but you get away with most if you pan BIF shots without tall buildings/ trees (but how often?) in the background. I don't notice any major AF inconsistency only perhaps occasionally but maybe due to operator error ...

Very nice photographs, thank you !  Indeed, as for panning, the impact of the rolling shutter effect depends on the background.. If you shot against the blue sky as shown on your tern shots, there's no issue, of course. If you're photographing BIF with trees in the background, it may be evident, though. I didn't see any strange deformations of the bird wings in your pictures either. I guess the impact of rolling shutter depends on the speed of the wing beat, though, and maybe on the angle of the capture, too. Terns, herons, storcks, raptors etc, - even ducks flying off or landing - usually don't have that fast wing movements. So maybe the read-out of the sensor still can keep up. Just speculation, though. However if you photograph fast flying songbirds or even hummingbirds it's probably another story. 

In the end, it's a personal consideration and decision, of course, whether the advantages of the R7 outweigh the limitations discussed in the reviews. Perhaps I can get a loaner camera from CPS sometime later and test it by myself to find that out. Regarding the OP I stand with my recommendation to keep the R5, though.

Wolfgang
www.wjaekel-foto.de

by Terence P. Brashear on Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:25 pm
Terence P. Brashear
Forum Contributor
Member #:00600
WJaekel wrote:
KK Hui wrote: I use ES almost all the time and never MS for BIF. Sure, there is strong rolling shutter effect due to slow sensor read-out of R7 but you get away with most if you pan BIF shots without tall buildings/ trees (but how often?) in the background. I don't notice any major AF inconsistency only perhaps occasionally but maybe due to operator error ...

Very nice photographs, thank you !  Indeed, as for panning, the impact of the rolling shutter effect depends on the background.. If you shot against the blue sky as shown on your tern shots, there's no issue, of course. If you're photographing BIF with trees in the background, it may be evident, though. I didn't see any strange deformations of the bird wings in your pictures either. I guess the impact of rolling shutter depends on the speed of the wing beat, though, and maybe on the angle of the capture, too. Terns, herons, storcks, raptors etc, - even ducks flying off or landing - usually don't have that fast wing movements. So maybe the read-out of the sensor still can keep up. Just speculation, though. However if you photograph fast flying songbirds or even hummingbirds it's probably another story. 

In the end, it's a personal consideration and decision, of course, whether the advantages of the R7 outweigh the limitations discussed in the reviews. Perhaps I can get a loaner camera from CPS sometime later and test it by myself to find that out. Regarding the OP I stand with my recommendation to keep the R5, though.

Wolfgang
www.wjaekel-foto.de

I bought my R7 based off of seeing KK's shots.  After reading several posts, and watching numerous videos I came up with settings that work for me.  I was surprised to hear people talking about inconsistent auto-focus.  I have had zero issues regardless of the background - both hand holding a 600mm f/4, and having it on a tripod.  Same goes for hand holding a 300mm f/2.8.  Once I lock onto the bird more often than not it stays in focus.  I'm not sure if I am as someone said "a respected reviewer", but I have shot Canon since the early 80's.  My experience with the R7 has been very good.  I think a lot of the issues mentioned with auto-focus can be resolved with camera settings.  I have been looking at the R5 as well, but can't justify buying it since I already own a Canon 5Dsr.

With that said I can say that I found the Canon 10D to have, for the time, excellent auto-focus as well.

Curious to hear more about the inconsistent Auto-focus issues.

Regards,

Terry
Terence P. Brashear
San Diego, CA
http://www.naturepixels.com
NSN #600

11 posts |