Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I use IE 8.  The search function is not working with the new site.  Is this a known issue or is it on my end?

Update:  Thanks Royce.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Royce Howland on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Possibly there's an issue with the search function with IE. See this thread below:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 4&t=227358
Royce Howland

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Yep, I get nothing with IE8 or 9. No other browsers installed, or likely to be on my machines, so it's a bit of a bummer.

by Gary Briney on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:12 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
This is an issue with IE v8 & v9 identified in beta or shortly after going live. It appears to be a problem with the way IE handles page formatting. The footer at bottom of the page covers the results (if any..)  However with IE10 the new Search function works for me now (Win 7.) - Gary
G. Briney

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:51 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
<sarcasm>Not like IE to break a website</sarcasm>

Yes, works for with IE10 too. Hadn't actually searched for anything for a while so hadn't noticed.

by Gary Briney on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Neil Fitzgerald wrote:<sarcasm>Not like IE to break a website</sarcasm>

Yeah, well Microsoft is reorganizing from the ground up as 'one MS' so maybe standards will continue to get more attention. Who knows -- maybe those 'sarcasm' markup tags will be implemented across the board... ;)
G. Briney

by MND on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:27 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Search really has problems. I want to search for 14-24mm in Forums and only Forums, it doesn't come up with anything. I've tried Chrome and I've tried IE 10. I went even simpler, I went to Advanced Search and typed in Nikon. There are 0 results for Nikon in Forums and Gallery. Somehow I find that hard to believe. I tried Canon and also got 0 results so the search is certainly not biased either way.

by Gary Briney on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Try this -
Click Advanced Search
Leave all the boxes checked for Search In (defaults)
Enter Nikon 14-24mm in the Keywords box
Click Search for All Words under the keywords box
Go to the Forum and Gallery Options section in gray section
Scroll the option box to the Discussion Forums heading, and then click on Photography Equipment
Scroll down to the bottom of the form and click the Search button

You should get hits for these two articles -
Adapting Filters to Fit the Nikon 14-24mm Lens
E. J. Peiker's New Zealand Diary

I get the same results using FF22 or IE10, even if I don't select Photography Topics so it seems there's not much listed for this lens. You can repeat the process using Nikon 80-400mm as a check that search works -- just be sure to check Search for All Words. I don't know why the Search In options doesn't work as expected, but I'll try to find out. As Greg has mentioned several times, the Search function is a work in progress. :)

Gary
G. Briney

by D7avid on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm
D7avid
Forum Contributor
I tried IE 10 and my laptop threw up.Went back to ie9.Still cant search.I can search in many other websites so whats up.Has to be some blame at your end.I 'd like to see "Imagesof the year" but cant find them.How about some help from somebody

by Gary Briney on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:29 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
The last year in which Image of the Year ran was 2011. NSN went to the new format over a year ago, and Editor's Picks replaced IOW/IOY. I did some searching, and the IOY listings aren't readily accessible; however the more recent IOW images are available in the Archive section of Editor's Picks.

At mid-year 2013, IE9 wasn't compatible with NSN Search, and I doubt that's changed. I don't have IE9 available to confirm that however. If you're running Win7 then IE10 should run. However because IE doesn't manage color, it's not very popular on this site. Many folks here use Firefox.
G. Briney

10 posts |