All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by MountainsAndWaves on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:32 pm
MountainsAndWaves
Forum Contributor
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if it might be time to review the 250kb maximum image size for the image gallery forums? I usually upload photos to my own website, saved as 'very high' quality using the save for web function. Depending on the photograph, these can range in size but would generally be less than 1 MB in size. I know I could knock the quality down and there would be very little difference in the end result, but why not have the best quality on display?

My problem comes when I then want to embed them here. On other forums I can embed them and the size does not matter, because I am taking the bandwidth hit, not the forum. This leads me to think that the reason for the limit here is to allow for fast loading and a better user experience. However, the difference in loading time between a 250kb image and a 500kb is imperceptible, in my opinion. Perhaps years ago when broadband connections were not quite what they are today, it would have been more of a consideration. I think it just seems to be a bit awkward now, and a nuisance.

I just uploaded a photograph to my website, and thought about posting it here and to a few other places for feedback. I was almost done creating my post in the landscape section, ready to embed my photograph, when I realised it was just over 500kb on my website. So, if I want to post the photograph here I can do one of 2 things; take the photo I have added to my website off, and go through the whole process of creating and uploading a smaller file to embed, or leave my website as it is, creating a smaller file and finding somewhere else online to upload it.

I could do one of those things. Or, I could just go to another forum or to Facebook and have it 'ready to be critiqued' in seconds. So, I suppose my point is that if I want to post my photographs here, I almost have to let Naturescapes dictate how I am going to produce my web images. With forum's being negativity impacted by social media, perhaps it is time to loosen up and make things hassle-free for people who embed images hosted elsewhere? The limit on uploaded images I can understand, because that is taking up Naturescapes own storage space.

I know this sounds like a bit of a rant, but I'm only ranting because I think it is a fantastic forum which more landscape photographers should be exploring.

Thanks,
Steve
[b]The rugged coast of Northern Ireland:[/b] [url]http://northernirelandlandscapephotography.com[/url]

by Royce Howland on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Hi Steve. This is being addressed by forum developments that are in progress. See this thread on coming enhancements, towards the 2nd last & last pages of comments:
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... 4&t=210908
Royce Howland

2 posts |