Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by dpirazzi on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 pm
dpirazzi
Forum Contributor
I have been thinking about purchasing a 3880 but have noticed the 4900 is now available with a $1000 rebate which brings it's cost about even with the 3880. Probably a replacement coming out?

I know the 4900 is big and heavy, but I'm liking the larger gammut, speed, roll support and reduced ink costs of the 4900. Other than it's size and weignt, any reason not to go with the 4900?

thx, Dave

by Martin 095 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Hi Dave,

I faced the same quandary about a year or so ago (can't remember exactly when). I was considering an upgrade to the 3880 (or 3900?), which had just come out when I heard about a $1k rebate on the 4880. Didn't think twice - every bit as good a printer as the 3880 and has roll support (which I thought was important). Epson held up their end of the bargain (I was worried that they would renege if all the paperwork wasn't in proper order - some companies are like that) and I got a phenomenal printer for a "steal" (ie, less than the price of the 3880). The 4900 is an excellent printer and will continue to be so, even if Epson releases a 4980 ... just my 0.02. Only problem I had with my order was that Epson hadn't released a sufficient number of printers to meet the demand, so I had to wait a few weeks before one became available.

Good luck!
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by Martin 095 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
PS I don't think the 4900 came out too quickly after my rebate (fwiw) and you should be aware that the supplied ink cartridges are likely not to be full 110 mL cartridges. Mine ran out pretty quickly, which caught me by surprise (I believe the 3880 was shipping with full 110 mL cartridges for a while).
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by dpirazzi on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:24 pm
dpirazzi
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the feedback Martin.

I think the 4900 ships with 80ml carts and then uses 200ml. The thought of buying a full set of ink is a little scary ($870 at Atlex prices) but hopefully I would not have to order all 10 at once...

The 4900 rebate is instant, so you don't have to wait or wonder if it will actually be honored.

I am a little surprised to see this large a rebate at a time when most Japanese manufacturers are having a difficult time meeting demand for products.

Dave

by Martin 095 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:21 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Hi Dave,

I just ordered all nine inks for my 4880 and yes that does hurt. But I much prefer this to the small cartridges I had on my 2200. I too couldn't believe they offered some much off but I wasn't going to wait for them to change their minds. You won't regret it.

Good luck.
Best wishes,

Martin

by Steve Cirone on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
"If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life." - Albert Camus

Martin, I am going to print and frame this quote and put it on my office wall.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by brogala on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:31 pm
brogala
Lifetime Member
Member #:00379
If any one is interested in the 4900, they are available at Atlex for $ 1,150 including free shipping. Ordered one on July 22nd and it arrived last Thursday. Looking at just about $ 2,000 after purchasing a full set of inks. Setup was quite easy. Made a few prints on Epson Premium Luster after making a profile with i1Photo and they look great.

Bill

by Greg Downing on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:56 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Great price - but for $900 more you can get a 7900 which is very tempting for me...
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Royce Howland on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Fantastic price for a great printer. Dave, if the larger size & weight of the 4900 aren't too much for you to deal with, I'd say go for it over the 3880. I did, when choosing between the 3880 and 4880. The Epson 38xx series are great printers, and nobody else makes anything like them. But the 4xxx series is more "industrial strength". If you're that serious about printing, the speed, reduced ink costs, roll support, robust paper handling, active vacuum system (keeps paper flat to reduce head strikes) and many other features of the 4900 probably would be welcome.

The rebate might or might not signal a new release is pending. There's still a global economic bog going on, and Epson may simply be trying to move some product. They make most of their money on ink and media, not the printers themselves... so discounting the printers to get more of them into use might just be a bit of internally-funded stimulus. :) And like Martin says, even if a newer model is released, the 4900 is a heck of a printer and won't stop being one just because something newer appears. I'd be tempted to get a 4900 myself with the great pricing right now, except my 4880 is still great and doesn't really give me much reason to upgrade...
Royce Howland

by dpirazzi on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:31 pm
dpirazzi
Forum Contributor
Thanks all for the replies, I pulled the trigger and ordered the 4900 from Atlex, it arrived last week. It's just killing me because it is still sitting in the box as I have been in the Channel Islands until today and leave for the Sierras tomorrow. Can't wait to put it through its paces...

Dave

by Martin 095 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Congratulations Dave - you made an excellent choice. Enjoy it and use it well.

All the best.
Best wishes,

Martin

11 posts |