Canon 10D, 100-400mm IS lens, Hand held, Flash w/BB minus 2

Posted by:
Gaelo
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:30 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Thanks for posting another shot of this extremely rare beauty!

The King Cheetah has very distinctive markings which set it apart from the normal Cheetah, and in this shot you can just see some of the larger dark blotches and stripes, the longer dark mane or ruff, and the start of the dark stripes which usually go down the length of the spine.

It is thought there are less than 80 of these beautiful cats left in the world.

Nice one!! Thanks for sharing. 8) 8) 8) 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:38 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
I really enjoy seeing this. Lovely background, contrast and saturation..No nits on this end.. thanks for posting..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Steve Metildi on Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:43 am
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Very cool shot of one of these rarities. Is this a wild Cheetah or captive?

by Gaelo on Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:51 am
Gaelo
Forum Contributor
[quote="Steve Metildi"]Very cool shot of one of these rarities. Is this a wild Cheetah or captive?[/quote]

Hi Steve, It's a captive cheetah. Taken at the metro Zoo in Miami.

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:06 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Beautiful portrait!
Carol C wrote:It is thought there are less than 80 of these beautiful cats left in the world.
That makes it sound like it was once common, which is not the case. I read up a bit on the King Cheetah yesterday (admittedly on the internet, so the information may be worth what I paid for it...).

From what I read this is an extremely rare genetic abnormality. Apparently all cheetahs are virtual clones of one another--the gene pool is very shallow--due to having been almost wiped out a couple thousand years ago. The small gene pool is what makes this kind of recessive trait extremely rare. King Cheetahs weren't known to exist until sometime in the 20th century, and at first it was thought they were a different subspecies. That is until a zoo in S. Africa had two regular cheetahs produce a King Cheetah. That zoo has since used the modern knowledge of genetics to breed most of the King Cheetahs in the world today. The naturally occuring King Cheetahs have probably never numbered more than 5-10 at any one time.

It was some interesting reading--I learned some things about Cheetahs in general which I didn't know before... Thanks to Carol and Gaelo for bring up the subject!

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:48 pm
Carol Clarke
Ok perhaps a misunderstanding of what I meant to say, since first appearing in the last 150 years, researchers have, in the last few years, identified over 60 individuals in the wild in S Africa.

Being the result of a recessive gene, both parents have to carry the gene to produce a King Cheetah. If only one parent has the gene, normal Cheetah cubs will result.

Whichever way you look at it, they are very rare, and their survival solely dependent on both parents carrying the gene at time of mating.

Fascinating stuff anyway!! :)
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:28 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Carol C wrote:Ok perhaps a misunderstanding of what I meant to say, since first appearing in the last 150 years, researchers have, in the last few years, identified over 60 individuals in the wild in S Africa.
Remember I used the internet as my source, and we all know the value of information found on the internet... Some sites say the first confirmed sighting (one said an animal was actually trapped) was in 1926; the animal was considered mythical prior to that. I did see your 150 years on one site, though. Most of the sites seemed to imply that only a small handful existed in the wild; perhaps recent research has not found its way to all the two-bit websites out there! (After all, the only thing you need to make a website on any subject at all is an internet account. Current knowledge [or any knowledge] is not a prerequisite... Which is why I stated my sources!)

It's just that I read your text as saying that the numbers were declining--not that you intended it to say that--and I thought I'd add a clarification. I apologize if I stepped on your toes. :)

-Paul

"[The internet] is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." Gene Stafford, 1992.

"You really must learn to use [the internet] more like a source of misleading clues and refer to the proper specs for factual information." Alan Flavell
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:06 pm
Carol Clarke
No toes stepped on Paul!! Its just that I don't always say what I'm thinking (if you know what I mean!) I sometimes am thinking one thing while writing another - no wonder it leads to confusion..... :lol:

8)
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by BarbduPont on Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:31 pm
BarbduPont
Forum Contributor
Great shot of King George (his name) He actually was born at the De Wildt Cheetah Center in S. AFrica. My snarling cheetah posted a few weeks ago was taken at De Wildt. King George's brother, also a king cheetah is still there but not friendly at all.

by Jill on Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:10 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
A mighty gorgeous animal which I've never even heard of before. Wonderful image and informative commentary!!! So King George it is!!! Thanks everyone for sharing!! 8) 8)
Jill Rosenfield

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't think I have ever seen a King Cheetah before - very cool animal. Nice shot.

by Anthony Medici on Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:39 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
E.J. Peiker wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a King Cheetah before - very cool animal. Nice shot.
The pattern on a "King" cheetah is caused by recessive genes. They are still Cheetahs. You can get more information here:

http://www.dewildt.org.za/cheetah/index.html

http://www.dewildt.org.za/tour/onlinetour/index.html

On the tour, click the top image to get more information on Kings.

Nice portrait of the King. 8)
Tony

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:51 pm
Carol Clarke
Anthony Medici wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a King Cheetah before - very cool animal. Nice shot.
The pattern on a "King" cheetah is caused by recessive genes. They are still Cheetahs.
Thanks for backing up what we have already said in the above posts Tony!! :roll: :wink:
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Anthony Medici on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:07 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Carol C wrote:Thanks for backing up what we have already said in the above posts Tony!! :roll: :wink:
Oops. Missed that. At least I provided some documentation on it. :oops:
Tony

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:13 pm
Carol Clarke
You did indeed!! :wink: :)
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

16 posts |