Posted by Larry Kaufman on Tue May 04, 2004 8:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
Double-crested Cormorant - Phalacrocrax auritus
Bolsa Chica, CA on May 3, 2004 @ 8:20am
10D, 300mm f/2.8, 1.4x TC, ISO200, AV, F/4, 1/3000
Crops: 20% top, 10% bottom, 30% right.

I realize this is a "butt" shot and the cormorant has passed me by, but in the sequence of shots the wing tip dragging was the most interesting. After the fact I also realized I could have shot at less than wide open as there was plenty of shutter speed. I chalk that up to learning a new lens. I do have a question regarding reflections in general. The entire reflection exist in the original capture, however a ripple is disturbing the body and seemed too distracting. How do you make the call on how much to include?

Thanks for looking and strong critiques are welcome.
- Larry

Posted by:
Larry Kaufman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00297

by Matthew Whitley on Tue May 04, 2004 8:37 pm
Matthew Whitley
Forum Contributor
Larry,
This is a very cool shot... the dragging wing tip is superb. I would love to see the full version so please post it if possible.
Thanks!
Matthew
[b] [color=GREEN][u]MATTHEW K.WHITLEY[/u][/color]
[/b][b]NSN 0071[/b]

by Cindy Marple on Tue May 04, 2004 9:05 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I always wondered if these low-flying sea birds ever dipped their wings, now I know they do! Yes you're right about the bird being passed but at least for me the wing dip makes up for it. I'd also like to see the full rendition. For me deciding on how much of the reflection to include has to do with the overall composition and balance, as well as whether there's a "problem" with the reflection. I like your choice here actually.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Jill on Tue May 04, 2004 9:34 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Larry, I don't mind that the cormorant is a tad past you as his eye and beak show really well. The water is smooth as glass except for the excellent ripple. I do like the 'minimal' reflection of wing tips only, but will tune in again to see the full version. A unique image!!! :D 8)
Jill Rosenfield

by AlexC on Tue May 04, 2004 9:35 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Larry wrote:
I do have a question regarding reflections in general. The entire reflection exist in the original capture, however a ripple is disturbing the body and seemed too distracting. How do you make the call on how much to include?
I am one of those who think that reflections must be almost perfect and totally complementary to the image, let them be crystal clear of distorted by ripples or wind, you have to be the judge and let it be, as presented here it is implied since the water is so smooth, and that satisfies me !!
I suspect that the full reflection will take away from the dipping wing tip!!
Very nice capture, Congrats!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by balazs on Tue May 04, 2004 9:41 pm
balazs
Forum Contributor
Wonderfull capture, that little ripple where the wing touches the water, is a fantastic addition. Well done!

by Larry Kaufman on Tue May 04, 2004 9:51 pm
Larry Kaufman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00297
Thank you for the comments. I had to redo this repost through C1 as I did not save the uncropped image. I also did not match the PS levels/curves perfectly so the color may have shifted ever so slightly. I tend to lean toward Alex's point of few. In this case, the ripple detracts as it is clear, then distorted - but how much do you leave? I choose to crop to include the near perfect reflection only as a compliment to the smooth water.

Edit 1 & 2: Please note this is also not the "full" image, uncropped the unreflected cormorant is just too small. Left and bottom edges are now uncropped.

Last edited by Larry Kaufman on Tue May 04, 2004 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Alan Murphy on Tue May 04, 2004 9:55 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Larry, was the whole reflection there with you only cropping 10% off the bottom?

I bet the image with the reflection is killer. Please post the original, so we can learn from this. The posted image is fantastic. Maybe a tad more sharpening.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by chriscove on Tue May 04, 2004 10:14 pm
chriscove
Forum Contributor
A great capture. I like the whole reflection if you have it. I agree that the original post focus more on the wing "dip" but I still like the whole reflection better. An outstanding shot!
Christopher Cove
Rochester,NY
www.covenaturephotography.com

by LHays on Wed May 05, 2004 4:57 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
After seeing both images I prefer the first one. I agree with Alex about reflections. This is a marvelous shot, especially with the wing dipping the water.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Bill Whala on Wed May 05, 2004 8:27 am
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Thanks for posting the original. I see why you cropped the way you did. I would have done the same - in this case. Each case has to be handled as necessary.

The wing dip puts this one over the top for me. Killer image!!
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by fredcor on Wed May 05, 2004 12:23 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
:D :D :D Tremendous capture.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Mike Wilson on Wed May 05, 2004 10:18 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
This is very cool! Love the wing-water touch.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by christoforos on Wed May 05, 2004 11:23 pm
christoforos
Forum Contributor
I like the second version better of which I would crop a little from the top.
Awesome shot BTW!
Christoforos

by AForns on Thu May 06, 2004 7:59 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Either image is way Cool... lots of ways to work it and will always come out a winner!!!!!! Congratulations
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

15 posts |