Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by mstolting on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:10 am
mstolting
Forum Contributor
Now I'm thinking that this camera, rather than the Oly EP1, would be the ideal alternative to a full size DSLR for my future backpacking/hiking trips. I'm sure the added EVF is expensive but, for my purposes, would be welcome. I also like that its AEB can be 3, 5, or 7 frames in 1/3 to 2.0 steps. That would be convenient for HDR. It seems to have lots of other details/specs that I would use doing landscapes and shooting whatever wildlife (bigfoot, etc.) I might encounter on a hike. Now there seems to be a plethora of interesting cameras about to hit the stores (Canon G11, D7, etc.).

Here's the link: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/
"Le temps est un grand maître, dit-on, le malheur est qu'il tue ses élèves."
Berlioz

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This will be my P/S camera unless some major shortcoming is uncovered. Lack of in camera IS doesn't bother me since there are micro 4/3 lenses with lens stabilization available. This camera seems to offer everything and then some that I was ever looking for in a P/S.

by Jerry_Jelinek on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:24 am
Jerry_Jelinek
Forum Contributor
Interesting. Being an Olympus Lens fan, I've been patiently watching the development of the Micro 4/3rds products.

I was really excited about the E-P1, but after reading the less than glowing review on DPreview, that plan got put on hold. This GF1 looks very interesting.

Thanks for the post.
--------------
Jerry Jelinek

http://jerryjelinek.smugmug.com/
Follow my photography efforts on my blog: http://jerryjelinekphotography.blogspot.com/

by dbostedo on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 pm
dbostedo
Forum Contributor
Looks like Panasonic definitely addressed the major complaints I saw about the EP-1 - slow autofocus, no OVF/EVF, and no flash. Seems like a real winner. Now if they would just add a flip and twist screen... and I DO like the idea of in-body IS. Maybe Olympus will catch up in the autofocus department...EP-2 perhaps....
David Bostedo
Vienna, VA, USA

by jhapeman on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:28 pm
jhapeman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00845
I am torn. The in-body IS *really* matters to me, as I want to use my Leica M glass, which is great on the E-P1. However, the EVF of the GF1 would make using the M glass a lot easier. E-P2 for me I guess.
Lots of gear and an understanding wife

by abiggs on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 am
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
I wonder how the video autufocus works on both of these cameras....
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:25 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
abiggs wrote:I wonder how the video autufocus works on both of these cameras....
It is the same system as the GH1 so I would expect it to work very well since that camera has the best video AF of any DSLR.

by Alexandre Vaz on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:39 pm
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Two questions:

- Did anyone found already a reliable street price value for this camera?
- Forgive my ignorance on this new systems, but which lenses can be used in this cameras (without using converters)? I just saw the new G 20mm / F1.7 lens (which is interesting), but I'm more interested in lenses equivalent to 28mm, 50mm or even around 70mm.
Thanks in advance.

alex

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Alex,

Any Micro 4/3 lens can be used and any 4/3 lens with an adapter to the micro 4/3. Many other lenses as well with an adapter. But natively, the micro 4/3 lenses most of which are from Olympus or Panasonic. For best AF performance, the Panasonic Micro 4/3 lenses are the best.

the 14-45mm Panasonic lens with OIS (Optical image Stabilization) would be right in your ball park as this would be a 35mm equivalent of 28 to 90mm.

by balazs on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:21 pm
balazs
Forum Contributor
Although one can always use tiff, i still wonder weather photomatix will handle the RAW file of the Panasonic or the Oly.

10 posts |