Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by John Spreitzer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:44 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Any idea why when trying to upload an image from my home desktop to a Naturescapes forum I get the message "The image file you are trying to attach is invalid". The same image uploads fine from my work laptop and my work desktop. All three are running Windows XP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
John

by Royce Howland on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:50 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Can you provide some more info, John? What browser are you using on the machine that doesn't work, and is it the same you are using on the work machines that do work? Also, have you uploaded images successfully before on the home machine? Has anything major changed on it since your last successful upload, e.g. a new XP service pack, new version of the browser, new virus checker or other security software, new configuration in your home network, etc.?

Are you able to try another browser on the machine that doesn't work and see if you get the same error or not? Most of the insoluble upload problems we've seen in the past few months have been related to some as-yet-unknown configuration setting in Windows/IE that gets screwed up and starts blocking uploads to sites that enforce some security checks on uploads (as we do). Other browsers so far have worked in these cases.
Royce Howland

by John Spreitzer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:08 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Thanks Royce. I am running IE on all the machines. I've never had a successful upload on the home machine. I'll try Firefox on the home machine and see what happens.
John

by John Spreitzer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:55 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
In Firefox, whenever I attempt to open a new topic it sends me to the login screen. After I enter the correct ID and password it keeps on sending me back to the login screen.
John

by Royce Howland on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:58 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
If uploads from home have never been successful, it may be to do with differences in your security software, Windows XP firewall settings, network configuration, or the like. If Firefox also fails on the home machine, look to those areas. You might also have XP patch / service pack differences going on, e.g. if the work machines are at SP3 but home is SP2 or vice versa. IE 6 and 7 are quite different, too, so just because it's IE on all machines doesn't mean they will work the same if the IE version is out of step on one of them. (IE 8 will be different again.)
Royce Howland

by Royce Howland on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
The re-login thing is nearly always because the browser cache needs to be purged and all NSN-related cookies need to be deleted. If the browser is caching something old it will interfere with the login process used in the new forum software running since May 1. Using the forum link at the bottom right ("Delete all board cookies") is probably not good enough... you'll have to go into FF and manually delete any and all cookies related to naturescapes.net.
Royce Howland

by John Spreitzer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:10 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Thanks Royce. Deleted the cookies in Firefox and tried again, and this time the image uploaded fine using Firefox.

Thanks for your very prompt help.

John
John

7 posts |