All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by JKSeidel on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:21 am
JKSeidel
Forum Contributor
Hi,
I want to start doing quite a bit more printing and am very confused by the wide selection of paper types. Can someone please direct me to some resources (whether online or in print) that goes through the basics in paper selection for various job types? I really do need 'the basics', using small and easy to understand words. :D I'm unsure when/if to use gloss, semi-gloss, matte, archival, etc. paper types and the same for the array of weights of paper. Right now I normally print on matte papers because I like the output, but I would like some information on other options. Any help or direction/pointers to some basic informational resources on paper selection would be appreciated. Thank you!
Jeffrey

[i]"Squirrels are just rats with better PR." - Anonymous[/i]

by Eric Chan on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:30 am
Eric Chan
Forum Contributor
Member #:01107
Jeffrey, the main advice I have is that you have to decide what you like. And at this point, if you don't know what you like, then the best thing to do is to try a few. There aren't any "right" or "wrong" answers in terms of what type of surface is appropriate for what type of job. A good way to start is by getting some sampler packs from sources such as Shades of Paper (http://www.shadesofpaper.com), Ink Jet Art (http://www.inkjetart.com) or Red River Paper (http://www.redriverpaper.com). Or you could also try sampler packs from your own printer manufacturer, assuming that they supply them -- most likely.
Eric Chan
[url=http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/photos/]MadManChan Photography[/url]

by Royce Howland on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:50 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Eric's advice of trying sampler packs is a good one. Regardless of what anybody else writes or says, whether you like a certain paper is up to you and the needs of your images, media budget, printing approach, print presentation style, etc.

Having said that, there is some info out there that can help your paper trials be a little more targeted, less random. Uwe Steinmueller recently set up a new web site called Outback Print, as a companion to Outback Photo. One of the things being built up at Outback Print is a directory of papers, although it's still not yet very comprehensive:
http://www.outbackprint.com/papers/pape ... essay.html

You will also find comments about various papers at Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape. Although he doesn't have the paper reviews indexed all together like OBP does, you can find his reviews by scanning down through this big index page:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/

Also see this essay at LL that compares thoughts about three similar new-ish papers, Crane Museo Silver Rag, Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl and Innova FibaPrint Gloss:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essay ... ions.shtml

These sorts of things go into details about specific papers. If what you'd like to start with is a general overview first, you might want to look at something like Uwe Steinmueller's e-book on digital printing, which has a section on paper characteristics:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/booklets/do ... P3003.html
Royce Howland

by JKSeidel on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:42 pm
JKSeidel
Forum Contributor
For now, I don't plan on doing my own printing. I have a Canon i960 and won't be able to upgrade to a printer that uses quality inks like Epson's Ultrachrome K3 or Canon's Lucia for some time. I was more or less looking for some guidelines as to what tasks the various paper types/finishes might be appropriate. I have read Luminous Landscape's reviews/articles on papers but wasn't sure any of those were appropriate outside of fine arts usage ... I'm nowhere near that league. I will check out Outback Print and the e-book mentioned. Thank you both for the pointers. I'll also try some trial prints on my home printer with various paper types as you suggest to get a better feel for the look of the output. Appreciate the speedy responses, very helpful!
Jeffrey

by Royce Howland on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:55 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Jeffrey, if you don't plan on doing your own printing then your options may become much more limited. Whatever printing service you choose will have specific experience, workflow and equipment that narrows the range of paper types they can (or will) support. If the service prints using high-end inkjet printers from Epson, HP or Canon you may still have some flexibility to work with them on media types as long as they already offer a media type you are interested in, or are flexible and willing to set up their workflow & color management for a new paper.

If they use non-inkjet printers like the Lightjet, Durst or other photographic printers then your choices are limited to only the supported media types available for use with that printer... typically 2 or 3 types. MPIX is a popular printing service for example. If you consult their output options, you find they support standard Kodak Endura (a traditional photo paper with a luster surface), Kodak Endura Metallic, and an Ilford B&W paper.
http://www.mpix.com/productsinfo.aspx

White House Custom Color is another popular printing service recommended here, and they support only Kodak Endura papers in luster, glossy and metallic finish. Most high end printing services are not using inkjets, and will be similarly limited in media options.

This kind of thing may end up narrowing your options considerably. :) In any case, the concept of sample prints is still valid. Whatever media your chosen service(s) support, get some test prints at 8x10 for example of several different "signature" images of yours. Run them on each different paper type in which you have interest, and evaluate the results. Also talk to them about the possible trade-offs in the different papers; often they will be knowledgable about things like color gamut, contrast and so on and may be able to help you narrow in on appropriate media for different purposes.
Royce Howland

by JKSeidel on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:57 pm
JKSeidel
Forum Contributor
Understood, thanks for information. I plan to look around for a local service, then start weighing the cost and quality differentials between the services and purchasing a printer and assuming the majority of print duties myself. I know the operating costs for most of the upper end Epsons that use K3 inks are fairly well documented, not sure about comparable Canons or alternatives. Something I have to analyze down the road if things go well.
Jeffrey

by Royce Howland on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:11 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
I have not seen any credible op cost info for the high-end Canon or HP printers yet. The two big differences between them and the Epsons are ink & print heads. As you're probably aware (but for the sake of discussion), factors to look at would include:
  • - Initial purchase cost of ink per ml
    - Consumption pattern of ink per square meter of output (or similar metric)
    - Wastage of ink due to clogs, switching of blacks (on the big Epsons)
    - Wastage of ink due to shelf life / warranty limitations on ink (less likely an issue if you print in volume, but has been biting some Canon early adopters)
    - Whether replacement print heads are expected to be an operating expense or not; Epson heads are designed to last the lifetime of the printer but there is some indication that Canon (and perhaps HP) heads may be expected to face replacement during the printer's operating life; heads are not cheap!
Good luck in getting deeper into printing. If you can find a local service that uses the big inkjets, it will likely give you a reasonable combination of turn-around time, flexible media options, direct quality feedback, and (hopefully) cost. :)
Royce Howland

by JKSeidel on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:55 pm
JKSeidel
Forum Contributor
howlandr wrote:If you can find a local service that uses the big inkjets, it will likely give you a reasonable combination of turn-around time, flexible media options, direct quality feedback, and (hopefully) cost.
That is what I'm hoping as well. There are several companies that do such printing locally. The ability to have almost instant feedback and input along with elimination of both shipping delays and related built-in costs, makes looking locally much more appealing than an online service. Once again, I really appreciate your advice and information provided thus far.
Jeffrey

8 posts |