All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Kari Post on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:04 am
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
After seeing some awesome large prints done on canvas, I'm more interested in having a print done on canvas than ever before. I don't do my own printing, so I was wondering if anyone on NSN has outsourced prints done on canvas before and if there are any companies they would recommend.

I've used MPix and WHCC for my paper prints and I'm usually quite happy with the quality of the images (at least when I'm not printing out of gamut yellows at WHCC). I know both companies offer prints on canvas, but have never seen them and I'm not exactly happy about their limited size selections. Any suggestions?
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by Brien Szabo on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:40 am
Brien Szabo
Forum Contributor
My experience with canvas is limited but I have found that images with shallow depth of fields translate a nicer effect than images with deep DOF - in my opinion. As for out-sourcing, I can't help, I print my own.

by James W. Milligan on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:11 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
Kari,

I have used West Coast Imaging for canvas and was very pleased with the results. Brien makes an interesting point. My flower images are of limited DOF so I can't comment on the visual perception of a sharp image on canvas.

Jim

by jfkriege on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:43 am
jfkriege
Forum Contributor
I have to say that i love printing on canvas. I especially like the gallery wrap style as it can go on a wall on its own and looks sharp presentation wise. I use it mainly for wedding and portrait images, but the one i have on my wall is a nature image and it works really well.

I have used WHCC and have been pleased with the product. I have one hanging on my wall as i write this and love it. As well, WHCC actually has more sizes than they list. Call them up and they will send you all of the sizes that they work in. If it is still not enough, i have heard good things about Simply Canvas. the website is below.

http://www.simplycanvas.com/index.cfm

Just a few things to think about when printing canvas:

1. I have found that some saturation is lost when it is printed on canvas. In the same way that apparent color saturation is lost when going from glossy to matte, there is loss going from a photographic paper to canvas because of the surface.

2. I second that shallow depth of field is best for canvas work. I have found this is because the canvas limits the amount of fine detail that can be maintained in the photograph. If it fades fairly quickly into out of focus, the contrast tricks you into thinking it is sharper than it is in the focused areas.

3. If you are going to go with the gallery wrap, i have found that anything over 16x20 benefits from the deeper gallery wrap of 2.5". It is my preference at least and looks more substantial.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Joshua

4 posts |