Transit of Venus (Third Contact)

Posted by Anthony Medici on Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
(The Sun and Venus) Paramus, New Jersey

I forgot to check my clock on the camera before I started taking images but I think this was taken at 7:08 AM. Third Contact is the moment that the edge of Venus touches the edge of the sun after transiting the sun. I think I was a few seconds late but you can't have everything. At least the sun had risen above most of the hazy clouds on the horizon otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see or photograph a thing.

On various other sites, people posted images with birds also flying through the sun. I'm tempted to take one of my Sandhill Crane silhouettes and add it to this image. ;)

Tripod/Wimberley mounted Nikon D2H, 600mm AFS, Kenko 3X, Celestron C5 Solar Filter, ISO 1600, Self Timer, Aperture Priority, Spot Meter, EV +1.7, 1/250 @ F11. WB set in Capture in post processing. Full Width.
Tony

Posted by:
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012

by Ken Cravillion on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:30 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Pretty cool, Tony.
Ken Cravillion

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Doesn't your D2H associate the time of the shot in the EXIF data? Cool shot - wonder why you didn't include the whole solar disk?

by Anthony Medici on Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:19 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
E.J. Peiker wrote:Doesn't your D2H associate the time of the shot in the EXIF data? Cool shot - wonder why you didn't include the whole solar disk?
It does. The clock on the D2H was set incorrectly. :oops:

I couldn't include the whole disk with the 3X, it's too much focal length and I had a crowd gathered around when third contact occurred and couldn't I didn't switch the the 2X at the time.
Tony

by Peterh on Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:57 am
Peterh
Forum Contributor
Great shot Tony.

The time doesn't really matter does it when you are not doing some serious calculations. Apprx time is sufficient. You know the time within a few mins anyway.

The whole in the Sun was my favourite phase of the event.

Cheers

Peter
[b]http://www.peterdenhartog.com[/b]

5 posts |