Great Horned Owlets are getting hungry w/ repost

Posted by Royce Howland on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Gear: Canon EOS 10D + Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 EX, 580EX, Velbon CF-640 tripod + Wimberley head.

Shooting info: 379mm, 1/200s, f/14.0, ISO 400, one-shot AF, Av priority, center-weighted metering @ 0, flash @ 0.

Processing: ACR raw conversion, crop (77% of full frame), s/h tool + levels + brightness & contrast + warming filter + saturation boost, USM + noise reduction, retouched eyes (brightened) & removed some "whitewash". All in PSE 3.

Good evening NSN'ers. Tonight I post what might be my last spring '05 shot from the Buenos Aires NWR area, southwest of Tucson, AZ. I've got other locations to move on to from my road trip. Taken in early May along the Arivaca Cienega trail, this photo shows a trio of Great Horned Owlets sitting in their nest in the fork of one of the giant cottonwoods.

I realize that nest shots can be a sensitive matter, and so I'm very careful if I pursue them -- and even more careful if I post them. :) This spot was pointed out to me by a local birder I met and talked to at the location -- always a good source of local intel. I had walked by and looked at this exact spot no less than 3 times during the day and not seen the owlets. They were that well camoflaged. The nest was only slightly higher than eye level, and just a few feet off a major trail (as you can see from this shot being at less than 400mm). One parent GHO was in the tree and evinced no concern at human presence as we shot from the trail.

I and a photographer from out east whom I had met earlier in the week at Madera Canyon (serious Nikon film shooter, nice chap, lost track of his name) shot these sleepy & hungry looking owlets for a brief time in the setting sun light. We were accompanied by my wife and the other chap's traveling companion. This is one of the few frames I shot using flash, sans BB. Again, the birds (including the parent) didn't appear to react at all, though they clearly knew we were there. So I felt reasonably confident that we were not harmfully impacting them.

A concern often is indirect impact such as drawing the attention of predators to the nest. This spot was so accessible and near the human-traveled trail that it didn't appear to be an issue in this case.

Nevertheless, the little owls possibly were being impacted by human attention. I encountered an older gentlemen at the location who proudly described how he and his grandson had piled a large broken limb against the tree so the youngster could climb up and take a flash snapshot of the three owlets at point-blank range. I suggested to him that this probably wasn't the greatest way to approach the birds but his response was there was no other way to get a good shot with the P&S camera they had. I left it at that.

I don't usually do a square crop but felt that worked best in this case. I have deliberately chosen this frame from the series I got, and processed it to leave the birds somewhat dark -- I like the way the birds really blend with the tree, and seem to be hugging the shadows as the sun rays play across part of their hide-out. (Although while we watched they did not actually move to avoid the light.)

Comments and critiques are welcomed as always!
Royce Howland

Last edited by Royce Howland on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460

by Ofer Levy on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:53 am
Ofer Levy
Forum Contributor
I don't mind the square crop. :wink: It seems that the focus is on the trunk and the birds are too soft. :roll:
Ofer Levy
Sydney, Australia
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

by ebkw on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:30 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
thanks for you explanation about the nest location. The birds must have been very used to people if they were so close to the trail. I can see why you would have missed them without being pointed out! The front right chick looks a little soft but could probably be helped with a touch of selective sharpening with the sharpening tool. The softness of the other two seems to be a result of their puffy feathers as the front left side of the tree is in focus. I like your composition.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by KK Hui on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:52 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Good job you got the shot, Royce!
These birds looks really cute and the square crop is fine with me.
Too bad the critical focus seems to be on the trunk behind them ...
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Royce Howland on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:16 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Repost:
Thanks for the comments so far. This is why critiques are useful. :)

Re: sharpness of the owlets and critical focus. I spent a lot of time working on this before posting, and reviewing it this morning I see a few things contributed to my first post turning out the way it did.

1. I screwed up the JPEG output process somehow. I had built a selection layer containing just the birds and sharpened it separately from the tree. Somehow that got lost in the JPEG output. Possibly I had a case of fumble fingers and disabled the layer before I flattened, I dunno. Anyway, I didn't catch it since it was getting a bit late and I was in a hurry to post last night. Doh! :)

2. I finally got around to downloading BreezeBrowser to use its option for viewing the focus points superimposed on the image. I wanted to check my memory of where I had focused. The original was a vertical shot. All of the AF points in the vertical center line were selected except for the bottom most one. The lowest AF point that was active was right over the middle owlet. However, certainly the tree itself was a big part of the critical focus, and likely biased the focal plane towards the back of the frame.

3. I was shooting at f/14. Given the focal length and distance, a DOF calculator shows I should have a had nearly 1 ft. of DOF. However this isn't quite enough for the owlet on the right. So yeah, that one is a bit soft. In creating the repost, I upped the selective sharpening a little beyond what I had originally done to see if that would compensate a bit. Hope it's not overdone now.

4. Because it's a square crop of an image with lots of detail, to get the JPEG under the posting size limit I had to compress it way beyond what I normally would do. Checking differences caused by the compression, I see there are some JPEG artifacts creeping in which doesn't help.

And of course, the little owls are fluffy with not many contrasty edges, and I deliberately composed them in the shadow in this image. So they do look soft anyway. [...shrug...] Live & learn. :)

Thanks again for the comments!
Royce Howland

by Gerald J Romanchuk on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Gerald J Romanchuk
Forum Contributor
Royce, the repost is an improvement, but I have to admit that I find the uneven lighting a bit distracting. The brightly lit, sharply focused tree trunk grabs all of my attention.
Gerald Romanchuk
Edmonton, Alberta

by mrhughj on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:52 pm
mrhughj
Forum Contributor
The repost is much stronger, Royce.

Hugh

by Royce Howland on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:00 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Gerald J Romanchuk wrote:I have to admit that I find the uneven lighting a bit distracting. The brightly lit, sharply focused tree trunk grabs all of my attention.
Yes, that's the main risk in what I tried to do with a shadow-hugging exposure of the owlets -- it doesn't excel as a straight up shot of the birds. Maybe I should retitle it, "Can you see the GH Owlets hiding in the shadows?" :)

Probably the only way around in this situation would have been to flash them a lot stronger. Trying to balance the shadows & highlights in this exposure doesn't work because the color tone, patterns of shadow, etc. in the strongly lit area don't match what is in the shaded area.

Oh well, it's worth trying. Maybe it would be a good puzzle picture. :)
Royce Howland

by KK Hui on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:07 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
A much better repost and glad you found the root cause for the softness, Royce! :lol:
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Larry Kaufman on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:41 pm
Larry Kaufman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00297
A very tough Image to tackle Royce. The repost is an improvement and the scene and composition are wonderful. We had GHO owlets locally here as well and I don't think I have one shot of them in decent light. They like the shade! Thanks for the detailed information on your setup and adjustments on this image too.

- Larry

by Vince Thomas on Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:02 pm
Vince Thomas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00309
The repost is much better Royce... I agree that the tree trunk is distracting. I'd consider cropping from the right leaving the 3rd owlet out, thus pretty much eliminating the trunk and focusing attention in the two owlets. :)
Vince Thomas
Huntington Beach, Ca

by Royce Howland on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:47 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all comments so far!
Vince Thomas wrote:I'd consider cropping from the right leaving the 3rd owlet out, thus pretty much eliminating the trunk and focusing attention in the two owlets. :)
Cut out a cut little owl?! :) You know, I never considered that crop. But I will give it a try...
Royce Howland

12 posts |