Northern Cardinal is curious

Posted by Royce Howland on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Gear: Canon EOS 10D + Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 EX, Wimberley + Velbon CF tripod.

Shooting info: 800mm, 1/250s, f/8.0, ISO 400, one-shot AF, Av priority, center-weighted metering.

Processing: ACR raw conversion, noise reduction, exposure mods, saturation decrease, background blur, USM, etc. in PSE 3.

Here is another photo from my spring '05 road trip, again taken at the Arivaca Cienega location of the Buenos Aires NWR in SE Arizona. This colorful Northern Cardinal, very similar in shade to my previously posted Summer Tanager, is getting ready to hop from one spot to another in a somewhat dense patch of vegetation. Despite the fact that he is a little beat up around the bill and not in the most photogenic of locations, he was so curious and fun to hang out with while I shot other subjects that I decided to try to rescue one of his images for posting. It turned out be a fun PS technique experience. :)

To get to this point, I spent quite a lot of PS time, nearly all of it triggered by deciding to take the cluttered background down several notches. Since the twigs upon which the bird is perched are an integral part of the clutter, it was a little work to create some separation. But the basic process was very similar to that illustrated by Christina Evans in her repost of Jim Neiger's recent dramatic Snail Kite "PS challenge" image.

I selected the cardinal out into its own layer, and did some minor s/h and USM on it. I also pulled out the twig the bird is immediately sitting on, and sharpened it a bit less. This layer included the closer part of the heavier, more OOF stick below to which the perch is attached. The back part of that heavy stick, and the other stick poking up and to the right, I selected out into yet another layer and performed a slight gaussian blur (radius 3) to put it a little further, perceptually, into the BG than the perch.

The rest of the background I left in a remaining base layer, reduced the brightness a bit and hit it with repeated runs of GB radius 7.5 -- about 4 or 5 repetitions of this filter. I used this tactic to take out detail in the BG without completely homogenizing the structure of the habitat as would happen with a larger radius GB -- I wanted to leave the impression of the environment (shapes, colors) but hopefully with much less distracting detail to draw the eye. Also, with larger radius blurs it's harder to prevent serious color bleed-over across areas that you don't really want mixed together -- say the red of a cardinal or green of a leaf with the brown of a branch.

All of the above in this case still wouldn't have visually worked without a bunch of other little tactics to prevent nasty edge effects and halos where the blurred BG overlapped with the other FG layers. For example, on the blurred BG layer I used the healing brush in "replace" mode (could have cloned) to roughly paint in hunks of adjacent BG color over top of the cardinal's red plumage, to prevent a pinkish halo from developing around the bird. I did the same other places where jarringly colored halos might develop.

In the case of both the bird and its direct perch, I also underlayed each primary FG layer with an identical layer containing the FG selection expanded by 1 pixel and feathered slightly larger (e.g. by ~3 pixels). On these underlayers I ran a GB of radius 1 to create an anti-alias effect along the edge of the overlayer, preventing a razor sharp, artifical looking edge where my FG layers laid over the now blurred BG. Thinking about it, I guess I'm more or less trying to simulate the anti-aliasing effect we expect to see from the Bayer masking in the digital camera process. :)

Comments and critiques on this image would be greatly appreciated, especially as regards the effectiveness of the technique described and any alternatives. As noted at the top I'm using PSE 3, but PSCS techniques would be of interest too.

(Please don't address the question of "why do it at all?" Altering digital images is an important topic and I do care about it, but I don't want to get into that topic here.)

For the curious, I include here a view of what the shot would look like without blurring the BG:
Royce Howland

Posted by:
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460

by Ofer Levy on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 pm
Ofer Levy
Forum Contributor
Lovely shot! :wink: :wink: The bird popes from the BG nicely - good PS work. :wink:
Ofer Levy
Sydney, Australia
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

by Michael Dossett on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:13 pm
Michael Dossett
Forum Contributor
Royce,

The background is a little busy for my tastes but is much improved over the original. I think the OOF vertical branch that the bird is facing is the one that bothers me the most. What type of blur did you apply?

by Royce Howland on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:33 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Michael Dossett wrote:The background is a little busy for my tastes but is much improved over the original.
Thanks for the comment, Michael. I realize the environment will not appeal to everyone regardless of PS work. Some people would probably stick this image in file 13, or at least never show it. :)
Michael Dossett wrote:I think the OOF vertical branch that the bird is facing is the one that bothers me the most. What type of blur did you apply?
I used gaussian blurs of various radii, settling on r=7.5 for the BG blur. The vertical branch was a bit of a challenge. Since it overlaps with the heavy branch that supports the bird's perch, I couldn't just blur it heavily as-is, as part of the deep background. Clearly that would create visual continuity errors. So I tried sticking the vertical branch in the mid-level BG layer.

To go all the way would take just a bit of cloning work. E.g. I could bring the perch's heavy branch into the FG over top of the vertical branch, thus allowing the latter to be blurred away into the deep BG. For the sake of this take on the image, I decided to do no cloning work and try strictly altering emphasis of the content elements in the frame as they were in relation to each other...
Royce Howland

by mrhughj on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:27 pm
mrhughj
Forum Contributor
I agree with Michael's comment about the OOF branch in front of the subject, but don't know how to get 'rid' of it, Royce.

Hugh

by Nick Dunlop on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:45 pm
Nick Dunlop
Forum Contributor
Nice work on a tough background. :)

by Christina Evans on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:47 pm
Christina Evans
Forum Contributor
Lovely cardinal.

I appreciate your expanded explanation of dealing with edges so they don't look artificial -- on Jim's photo, I did something kind of similar to what you described. One difference is that I used PSCS lens blur filter instead of gaussian blur, which is perhaps an advantage since it is supposed to look like what a camera would provide, has extensive controls to customize the kind of look you want, and I only had to apply once -- but the result is very much the same as what you got with PSE.

Thanks.
Christina Evans
http://cgstudios.smugmug.com/

by Royce Howland on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:20 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all comments so far. It's a touch crude, but for illustration I have attached another repost showing a take on the frame without the vertical branch near the foreground. I broke out my digital hacksaw and cut the heavy horizontal branch :), then blew the back part of it and the vertical branch into the background with the gaussian blur used elsewhere on the BG.
I took a shot at cloning the horizontal branch so it appeared to run over top of the vertical branch instead of behind it, which would have let me keep all of the branch directly attached to the perch in the FG. But I wasn't able to come up with something that looked good to me in the brief time I spent on it. Cloning to preserve detail, texture & color gradations is a bit harder than anything else I've done to the image, even in an area as limited as where the branches cross.

I'm now at my repost limit for this image, but I welcome continued comments about any of the images or the associated techniques...
Royce Howland

by Royce Howland on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Christina Evans wrote:One difference is that I used PSCS lens blur filter
This tool sounds useful. I wonder if it has been added to PSE 4, or if I'll have to wait until I eventually upgrade to PSCS to get it along with all the other bells & whistles I'm currently doing without... :)
Royce Howland

by KK Hui on Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:05 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
I like the effect on the first (top) image, Royce!
Excellent PS work ... :roll:
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Larry Kaufman on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:39 am
Larry Kaufman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00297
Royce.

For me I like the original post and your PS work as it reflects the habitat I am used to seeig these birds in. The repost without the vertical branch looks weird, but is likely due to the crude rework as you noted.

- Larry

by Gerald J Romanchuk on Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:11 pm
Gerald J Romanchuk
Forum Contributor
Hey Royce, good PS work. I'm almost scared to ask how long it took. I like your original post. I don't mind seeing some of a birds habitat.
Gerald Romanchuk
Edmonton, Alberta

12 posts |