First image posted: Male Cardinal

Posted by David W. Brewer on Wed May 19, 2004 9:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
I've followed NSN from its inception, and have posted and responded to topics, but - quite frankly - I've been more than a little intimidated about posting any images. Recently I upgraded equipment to the Nikon D7o, which I have coupled with a Tokina 300mm f2.8 ATX plus Teleconverters, and my image quality is noticeably better. Friends have commented same, and I have been encouraged to post this image.
Camers: Nikon D70
Lens: Tokina 300mm + Kenko 2X Teleconverter
Tripod: Bogen with homemade gimbal mount
Flash: not used
f2.8 (f5.6 effective); 1/400

Posted by:
David W. Brewer
Forum Contributor

by gigo on Wed May 19, 2004 10:27 pm
gigo
Forum Contributor
you forgot the ":" after http

nice photograph ! :-) i'd lighten up the area around the eyes a bit

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 20, 2004 12:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Thanks, I missed the missing : and corrected it. Nice shot and welcome!

by LHays on Thu May 20, 2004 4:33 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
David
You have a nice first post. This is a wonderful place to learn!!! Don't let the intimidation factor keep you from posting. I felt that way in the beginning and your first post is far better than what I posted at the start.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Alan Murphy on Thu May 20, 2004 7:53 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
David, thanks for jumping in and posting. This has a lot of nice qualities. Nice green BG , dark perch and the bird looks good. A better comp would be to have the bird in the left of the frame with him looking into the open space.

Welcome to NSN.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by AForns on Thu May 20, 2004 8:07 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Very Glad you decided to jump in and post...... Excellent post and for your first it will be a hard act to follow!!!!

Would move the bird back to the left as suggested by Alan.... all other elements look very good. Congratulations on your new equipment!!!!

btw always keep all photographic equipment together in one place... preferably out of the way and find a quiet location... sometimes it tends to multiply on its own :D :D :D at least that's what I tell my wife :D :D :D
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by AlexC on Thu May 20, 2004 8:45 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Dave, I took the liberty of downloading your image with the purpose of illustrating what the crop should be, this is only my view and not the only way it could be cropped, I USM a little and dodged his face a tad, clone some dirt on the CCD and that was it!
The image is nice as presented, and a pretty good capture at that, the composition as reposted is to give the bird a little room to fly into , the tail points down to the LLC to give a sense of flow, but this is just my view!!
Wonderful first post!!! Keep them coming!!!
Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu May 20, 2004 8:49 am
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Hi, David. I'm glad you're finally posting. A nice, clean shot. I agree with Alan on moving the bird to the left in the frame. The left crop could be balanced by a slight top crop. BTW, is that sensor dust behind the bird's wing?
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by David W. Brewer on Thu May 20, 2004 10:22 am
David W. Brewer
Forum Contributor
:oops: :oops:

Not sensor dust; I'm guilty of not cleaning dust from the front of the lens. I actually noticed that in the file copy of image and thought I had posted the image where I had cloned that out ...NOT! I thouroughly cleaned the lens yesterday and took more images to make sure THAT was the problem and not dust on the sensor. I agree with the crop; it's for that kind of feedback that I "screwed up my courage" to post here. I will delve into the topic of dodging tonight when I'm at home; never have tried that (outside of my darkroom days years ago). Thanks for the feedback!

by Mike Wilson on Thu May 20, 2004 1:41 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Thanks for taking the leap and posting David and welcome. I really like your Cardinal image and like the suggestions already made. I would also suggest when using a TC, especially a 2x, to stop down a stop from wide open to get a sharper image if there is enough light.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by Cindy Marple on Fri May 21, 2004 10:01 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Welcome, glad you took the plunge, very nice first post!!
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

11 posts |