Little Blue Heron-Immature

Posted by AlexC on Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:52 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)

Just liked the way he looked perched on the post, the side lighting made it interesting, tried a couple of fill-flash compensations and liked this one the best!!
D1x, Raw file, Lens=400mm afs-f/2.8, Incident metering and compensated for the high-lites, 1/500sec SS-f/11 for max DOF on the bird since the BG was pretty far away (lake) , SB-800 fill flash at +3EV for better overall fill!! There are times when compensation is a great asset, it's just a tool, used it to your heart's desire!!
Any comments and or reposts are always welcome!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by Chas on Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:07 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Alex, eliminate the guesswork. Try the flash in manual mode, it is as simple as it gets. Particularly, when not using the beamer and the subject is stationary at a fixed distance.

Even though the light is not striking the face I much prefer these types of images to those flat lit. Especially, when the contrast range is so wonderfully brought under control :wink: .

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Jim Neiger on Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:40 pm
Jim Neiger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00113
Cool image, Alex! 8) I think we were all enthralled with the Limpkins while you were off getting this one.
[b]Jim Neiger - [url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com]Flight School Photography[/b][/url]
[b]Kissimmee, Florida[/b]

[url=http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/FSP%20Current%20Workshops.htm][b]Flight School Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by Alan Murphy on Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:47 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Wonderful flash work Alex.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by J. Chevrier on Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:57 pm
J. Chevrier
Forum Contributor
A clean and beautiful image, Alex! NICE!
Jeff Chevrier

www.photocreative.com
www.jeffchevrier.com

by Alan Melle on Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:20 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Very nice! Hard to tell that flash was used at all. Nicely done.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:07 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Alex,

Very nice shot with excellent use of flash. The background complements this guy very well.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Peter Wallack on Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:12 pm
Peter Wallack
Forum Contributor
Love the image and without a flash now I cannot get this subtle indirect lighting feeling; I think I will get a flash unit!!!

by Jim Urbach on Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:44 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Alex,

Wonderful flash balance. They are much more interesting in this molting phase than all white.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Sandy Mossberg on Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:46 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
I hate your f---h and never want to hear about it again.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by LHays on Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:46 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Alex
A beautiful Little Blue. Leave it to you to find something different than the others. It's always amazing to see "what you see" out in the world. Excellent!!!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by eagle43 on Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:24 pm
eagle43
Forum Contributor
Very nicely lit. :D BTW, Thanks for the flash lesson tonight.

Roy

by AlexC on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:23 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Sandy wrote:
As per Chas recommendations, I spend a couple of hours playing with the flash in manual mode, and I have found two ways of using it in a reliable & predictable manner, One way is by setting the shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, then by changing the aperture(f/stop) the flash to subject distance will change, and it will show in the flash display, guesstimate your distance open the lens until the right subject to camera distance is indicated and then fire away, on the money every time!!!
For outdoors manual flash, just read your exposure (shutter speed/f-stop) compensate in camera is needed and then dial the distance on the flash via the +/- flash output compensation when in manual mode, as long as you estimate the distance correctly the flash is on the money, every single time without changing your f/stop as Long as you don't exceed the flash output range!!!
Try it, it does work!!! :wink:

Roy wrote:
Very nicely lit. BTW, Thanks for the flash lesson tonight.
Roy, what little I know you are always welcome to it, inclusive of misinformation, wrong settings and misconceptions!!! :wink:
Just play and experiment, just a lot of fun!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Jill on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:29 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Love this calico phase, Alex !! He sure looks fluffy and serene, and the BG is very complimentary. Wonderful image indeed!!! :D :D :D
Jill Rosenfield

by Carol Clarke on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:31 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Excellent shot Alex! wonderful detail and lighting. Love the pose too! Great image. 8) 8) 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by fredcor on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:39 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
The backlight is great when the fill is just right. You masters of flash I envy. I have practice more to achieve a larger % of acceptable fill flash images.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Chas on Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:00 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
AlexC wrote:Sandy wrote:
As per Chas recommendations, I spend a couple of hours playing with the flash in manual mode, and I have found two ways of using it in a reliable & predictable manner, One way is by setting the shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, then by changing the aperture(f/stop) the flash to subject distance will change, and it will show in the flash display, guesstimate your distance open the lens until the right subject to camera distance is indicated and then fire away, on the money every time!!!
For outdoors manual flash, just read your exposure (shutter speed/f-stop) compensate in camera is needed and then dial the distance on the flash via the +/- flash output compensation when in manual mode, as long as you estimate the distance correctly the flash is on the money, every single time without changing your f/stop as Long as you don't exceed the flash output range!!!
Try it, it does work!!! :wink:

Roy wrote:
Very nicely lit. BTW, Thanks for the flash lesson tonight.
Roy, what little I know you are always welcome to it, inclusive of misinformation, wrong settings and misconceptions!!! :wink:
Just play and experiment, just a lot of fun!!
Alex, glad you tried this old proven back to the basics method. It is 100% reproducible and consistent, so long as your strobe recycles fully. Most ready lights come on at approx 90%; giving it a bit more time will ensure accuracy. If you want to use less, flash than ambient you need only reduce the output - example 1/4 power to 1/8. The only downside is this can only be done in full stops with the Canon and Nikon strobes. Some independent manufactures offer more control in manual mode.

BTW-you can read the distance off the lens :wink:

Respectfully,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

17 posts |