Ring-necked Scaup (?)

Posted by Ken Newcombe on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:01 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 

This was more of a "record" shot of an unusual duck than an quality image. This bird appears to be cross between a Ring-necked and a Scaup. The windy conditions and choppy water are not normally conducive to good shooting. I waited until the crest of the wave for this shot.

Local bird ID expert Kevin McLaughlin had this to say about the bird:

Hi Ken. I am not sure what this thing is. The head shape is intermediate
between scaup and RN. The bill seems quite massive as in G Scaup. Might be a GS X RN hybrid. Hard to judge the flank/upperpart pattern. Much vermiculation on the flanks which seems more than scaup sp..Not sure about the back i.e. if it is dark enough for a hybrid. Brown neck ring points towards RN and thus suggest a hybrid of some kind....Kevin.

10D
500 x1.4
1/640 sec, f/6.3
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 200
AF mode: AI Servo AF
Flash: Off

Posted by:
Ken Newcombe
Forum Contributor

by Bill Whala on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:17 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Excellent shot of this interesting specimen. It's easy to see why one would suspect this is a GS X RN. I'm just a bit surprised the bill is so clear.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful find. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Chris Fagyal on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:25 pm
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor
Fascinating photograph Ken. I've never seen this sort of hybridation before. With permission i'd like to send a copy of this image to a waterfowl expert here in Minnesota and see what he thinks if you don't mind. Please let me know via PM. Great shot, I especially like the waves. It's so hard to capture birds riding the waves like this.
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

by AlexC on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:27 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Whatever it is , a handsome devil he is!!, Waiting for the crest of the wave is excellent visualization , composition is great as well, exposure, colors and detail are also excellent!! Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like a Lesser Scaup to me although the neck is interesting. If it is a cross it could be a cross with a Tufted Duck and probably more than one generation back. The bill is consistent with that and those are two species that are known to cross but I think its just a regular LS.

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Parrothead Pete on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:20 pm
Parrothead Pete
Forum Contributor
Comparing the shot to page 77 of the Peterson Field Guide for Eastern and Central North America, it is the spitting image of the Lesser Scaup.
"There are no other Everglades in the world. They are, they have always been, one of the unique regions of the earth; remote, never wholly known. Nothing anywhere else is like them..." - Marjory Stoneman Douglas

by Cindy Marple on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:39 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I'm certainly not a waterfowl expert but I did photograph Lesser Scaup this winter that had a prominent ring around the neck like this.
Whatever it is, this is a very nice image, I like the posture and the water is very pretty.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Japper on Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:03 am
Japper
Forum Contributor
Nice shot Ken...excellent exposure. But it looks like there is more sharpness on the body then on the head...that's a pity...but still nice.

by Peter Wallack on Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 am
Peter Wallack
Forum Contributor
The duck's outline in the composition and the actual turn back pose is very striking.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:06 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Very nice shot of this cheeky looking bird Ken! 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by AForns on Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:30 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Very nice Ken I like the way you waited for the wave to crest and shoot. I think it adds a lot to the image of a beautiful duck
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by fredcor on Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:35 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
:D :D :D Very nice shot and full marks for perseverance. The water was very choppy last Sunday, most of the shots I got of the Horned Grebes had a head or lower body missing.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Alan Murphy on Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:40 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Love the raised neck and the big waves. A great shot.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Brian L. Zwiebel on Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:22 am
Brian L. Zwiebel
Forum Contributor
Splendid timing on this capture. I too think the focus is on the near body thus being a tad off on the head.

The bill size is the only thing that reminds me of Greater Scaup. Everything else is good for Lesser although the neck ring is interesting.

Well Done!
BZ

by Yanni on Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:12 am
Yanni
Forum Contributor
Fantastic catch there Ken and what a great expression on that little cude guy.

by Ken Newcombe on Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:39 pm
Ken Newcombe
Forum Contributor
Brian L. Zwiebel wrote:Splendid timing on this capture. I too think the focus is on the near body thus being a tad off on the head.

The bill size is the only thing that reminds me of Greater Scaup. Everything else is good for Lesser although the neck ring is interesting.

Well Done!
BZ
The focus was probably off as the waves were bouncing the duck completely outside of the frame that day as Lat mentions. It appeared to me to be closer to a Lesser overall, other than the bill size, however there were Lessers in with it that looked much more conventional. The erect neck and neck ring stood out from the other Scaups of both kinds.

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:21 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Good detail, exposure and balance!
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

17 posts |