fbpixel

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by joseph motto on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:50 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Someone recently pointed out in one of the forums the 30 Days of Photoshop tutorials and I would like to thank him for doing so. After doing the 30 days I found that I had ongoing problems with getting the hang of masks and of deciding where and when to utilize them. They make a lot of sense for certain types of photography but it seems they are not nearly as beneficial to the processing of wildlife photography in particular. Perhaps I am mistaken. How important are masks to you and when and why do you choose to use them? Just curious.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Richard B. on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:47 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Certainly no PS expert. But how i use masks in bird photography is to adjust the whites and darks feather areas to reveal some detail. After doing global image adjustments, I may want to either tone down whites or pull up darks. I make an adjustment layer to make the needed effect, invert the AL mask to black, and use a reduced opacity white brush to brush through the black mask limiting the adjustment to only the specific area or tonality I want to play with. Once the AL is restricted to that particular area or tone, I can reopen the adjustment to fiddle with it some more.

There are probably hundreds of ways to do this selective adjustment. I find this method easy to use.

Richard

2 posts |