All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by joseph motto on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
I am awaiting delivery of a new desktop PC to replace my 5-year old unit and am fearful of the transfer of its contents to the new PC. Last time I did this I lost all of my keyword connections to my images and also had problems uninstalling LR 6 and PS 6 and reinstalling them. Has anyone had any experience with PCmover in making this process easier?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Stuart Clarke on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 pm
Stuart Clarke
Forum Contributor
joseph motto wrote:I am awaiting delivery of a new desktop PC to replace my 5-year old unit and am fearful of the transfer of its contents to the new PC. Last time I did this I lost all of my keyword connections to my images and also had problems uninstalling LR 6 and PS 6 and reinstalling them. Has anyone had any experience with PCmover in making this process easier?

Before you do anything it is very important that in Lighroom you make sure that you click Edit-Catalog Settings and make sure that you have checked Automatically write changes into XMP  I mistakenly took advice form a wedding photographer to uncheck this for improved performance which was great till my catalogue drive failed and all my keywords went with it.  No idea on the other but this is vitally important that all changes are written to each file.

by aolander on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:56 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
"till my catalogue drive failed"

Backing up your images AND the catalog is important.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Stuart Clarke on Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:28 pm
Stuart Clarke
Forum Contributor
aolander wrote:"till my catalogue drive failed"

Backing up your images AND the catalog is important.
Thanks for stating the obvious, if you check the write to xmp you could rebuild a catalogue in minutes either way.  This was back in lightroom 4 and was a result of my backups being switched back to my catalogue drive after an update so lost months of metadata.  Lesson learned Catalogues are now backed up on at least 3 drives.

4 posts |