All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Bob Boner on Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:24 am
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
With the Canon 1D, what are the advantages of capturing in both raw and JPEG? I have been doing that based on advice I received when I first got the camera about a year ago. I have yet to knowingly use one of the JPEG files. Does having the JPEG file speed up the acquisition of images on the camera's lcd? Is there any process it speeds up? Is there any reason not to dump it and just capture images in the raw format? Thanks.
Bob Boner

by Wil Hershberger on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:06 pm
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
Bob,
If you are using Breeze Browser or similar software to look at your images the jpg is used for the preview image. This really speeds up the process. Other wise you have to wait for the RAW file to be converted to a point that the software can show it on screen.
If you are using C1SE only then there is no benefit to the jpg.
Hope this helps,
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by Bob Boner on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:46 pm
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I am using the browser in PS CS, and that is reasonably quick to load both raw and JPEG images. But then I have 2 images of each scene in the browser. I have a Mac so Breeze Browser is not an option. So for me at least, there doesn't seem to be an advantage to keeping the JPEG image. Maybe an advantage will occur to someone else. Thanks again.
Bob Boner

by AJSJones on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:58 pm
AJSJones
Forum Contributor
I had a D60 and now have a 10D and have been shooting raw+lg/fine jpg for a while. It was mainly to facilitate rapid hi-res review of images in situations where processing the crws took too long (on my iBook), but also in many cases the jpg was not much different from the processed crw and could be used "as is". The Canon software isn't quick at processing the raw files but extracts the jpg almost instantly and they were often of sufficient quality for the needs. However, my updated cataloging prgram (iView MediaPro) provides good previews rapidly and PSCS is very fast (on a twin 2GHz G5) with crw conversions so I will probably not be using lg/fine to embed any longer (and will thereby retrieve some CF space).
JPGs have a lot to recommend them, although most will advocate raw for maximum flexibility in post-processing. If you have good Photoshop skills, however, the difference is not as clear cut as some would have you believe. Noel Carboni is a strong JPG proponent and you can find some of his thoughts in a lively discussion here :

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/ ... art=1&vc=1

Long thread but worth the read, even if you end up still shooting raw!

Enjoy!

Andy

4 posts |